PDA

View Full Version : Power Tool Cords, why not a standard.....

Bill Huber
07-12-2007, 8:42 PM
I don't see why in the world we have to put up with all of those cords, and now they are making them longer which is nice but lets dump them altogether.....

Like computers and monitors all have the same type of cord, you can use the same cord on any computer or monitor. Why not the same cord on all the power tools. Like have a cord that will unplug from the tool.

Just think about it, you are using you small router and your sander and maybe a dremel tool on a small project and the cords are all over the place. You can't use them all at one time... so why not just pull the plug out of one and then plug it into the other one to use it, just one cord to get in the way.

And while I am on the power cord problem lets do something about all of those little transformer that come with just about anything you buy now, and none of them are the same.... there must be a million different ones out there, I know I have a big box full and none of them will work with what ever I need to work with so I have to buy another one or get a universal with 100 different little ends that go with it that always get lost anyway.

I am mad as heck and I'm not going to take it anymore...... well that is until I get my next new power tool.

Mike Cutler
07-12-2007, 9:05 PM
Some of Milwaukee's tools have an interchangeable power cord. Most have their own cord though.

Not all computer monitors are interchangeable. Maybe the power cord, but VGA,DVI,Dual DVI, Dual Link DVI, ADC, now HDMI and some others. Makes selecting video cards interesting though.;) Of course Apple has had a few propietary connectors in their history.

Radio shack should be able to relive you of the transformer stress. They have a few different modles with multiple vdc outputs and plug adapter configurations. Gotta pay attention to the current out though.

Greg Crawford
07-12-2007, 9:20 PM
Good idea Bill. Maybe some of the manufacturers will see this and take note.

I get upset at the stiff cords, and I like the long cords like Ridgid is using these days (they're also very flexible). Of course, your idea is better.

Ben Grunow
07-12-2007, 9:53 PM
There are some tools out there with no cord, just attach your extenxion cord and go (not sure but I think it was a hitachi CS). I think the problem is the challenge in finding a way to reliably keep the cord from unplugging when pulled during use.

My PC Belt sander cord got cut to 6" and I use it, and now prefer it, holding the end of the extension cord under my thumb. You could cut them all short?

Dave MacArthur
07-12-2007, 10:02 PM
Bill, I recently read somewhere-- I don't remember where, except that it was an author/source I respected-- an opinion that you should indeed immediatly cut off the cords from your power tools, wire on a short plug, and then run them all via a single extension cord. You can of course buy sturdy industrial plugs to do this for 4$ or so, with the "locking head", so cord disconnect is not a worry.
Go for it!

Bruce Page
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
There was a member of the old Badger Pond forum (Mark Goodall?) that cut all of his power cords to 6” and added a plug. He used the same extension cord for everything.
I thought it was a great idea but I never had enough ambition to do it.

Jim O'Dell
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Ben, I think the circular saw you are thinking of is the Bosch. One or two of theirs are that way. One promotion had the saw with a free 25' extension cord. Otherwise you use your own. It's a good idea, especially if you're prone to sawing into the power cord!! :D Jim.

Dave Lehnert
07-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Black and Decker did such a thing back in the late 70’s early 80’s. The general opinion with tool buyers was “Look, B&D is too cheap to give you a power cord. How cheap can you get” So that idea did not last long.

Don Bullock
07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
Black and Decker did such a thing back in the late 70’s early 80’s. The general opinion with tool buyers was “Look, B&D is too cheap to give you a power cord. How cheap can you get” So that idea did not last long.

I still have one of the old B&D saws with a short cord. They were chaep too.;) :D

Bruce Benjamin
07-12-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't know about the B and D example but usually the reason for a very short power cord is so that when your using it at a jobsite with an extension cord, (practically always using an extension cord) is so that the tool cord/extension cord connection won't dip into a puddle of water. Even in my shop, I rarely use a hand held power tool without an extension cord so I usually find the 4' to 6' cords to be more of an annoyance than a use. It just makes it harder to store.

Bruce

Michael Lutz
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
Bill,

Isn't Festool going to a plug in system like you were expousing? I see them advertize their one cord system.

Mike

Tom Veatch
07-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Bill, I recently read somewhere-- I don't remember where, except that it was an author/source I respected-- an opinion that you should indeed immediatly cut off the cords from your power tools, wire on a short plug, and then run them all via a single extension cord. You can of course buy sturdy industrial plugs to do this for 4$ or so, with the "locking head", so cord disconnect is not a worry.
Go for it!

Plus, you avoid the clutter and hassle of the power cords when storing the tool.

Maybe I'm seriously out of touch, but the only "locking head" plug/receptacles I'm familar with are the "twist-lock" configurations. Those are fairly large, bulky, and significantly more costly than $4 as I recall.

Is there another form of locking plug/receptacle that is more compact and less expensive?

Dave MacArthur
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Tom, I was thinking of the twist lock, and yeah, they are about 8-10$ at HD... however, that would be a pain as you'd not be able to use it at a friend's house without YOUR extension cord.

How about this? I've seen sold a little 10 cent plastic device (10 cents of plastic, probably sells for $1) that slips over the cord just behind the plug on both sides of the hookup and keeps them together--my ceiling retractable extension has one.

You know, it all sounds like a great idea, but I think it would actually take some pretty big ones to walk out to the garage and start cutting cords off your tools, even if you know it's for a better setup lol...

Rick Lizek
07-13-2007, 8:24 AM
I don't see that happening anytime soon or ever.
Why not take things into your own hands. Cut your cords short.

I use the Leviton 515LR connector on my extension cords. It's a straight blade locking plug that I get for around $3.00 and I don't have to tie the cords in knots to keep it from coming loose. Lists for around $15 and worth it. McFeely's sells the QWL-0001 locking plug as well. A bit nicer and more expensive.
The only link I could find with a picture of the Leviton.
http://www.drtv-online.com/shop/leviton_12_24.html

Al Willits
07-13-2007, 8:41 AM
I think trying to make a extention cord that would make everyone happy might be a bit of a chore, it'd probably have to be at least 12 or 10ga to work on everything, and it's be a waste of money to use it to power a tool battery charger.

Personally I like having long power cords, but I have a lot of 4 plex outlets all over the garage so I'm rarely more than 7 or 8' from a outlet.

I like being able to plug in several tools at the same time and not keep moving the extension cord to whatever tool I'm using.

Different strokes.

Al