PDA

View Full Version : first project post - Library

Craig Thompson
07-12-2007, 6:46 PM
I have been parousing through the forum for a couple of months now... think its time to feed myself to the sharks...

I just finished this Library for kids homework area.. Its all mortise and tenon frames. I used scraps from other projects so I tried to use some nicely tigered sap wood for the frames of the larger doors... did not work out so well... they did not stain nicely. I will have to remake them later.

Bert Johansen
07-12-2007, 7:12 PM
Craig,

Wow! Nicely done! You may have been lurking just a short time, but you aren't new to woodworking, I'd surmise. That is one big job!

Yeah, the frames are a bit dark, but so what. After awhile you won't notice it.

One thing I noticed was the different treatment of the drawer fronts. The "frame" surrounding the lower file drawers isn't matched by the upper drawers. And I recognize the upper drawers are too small for such a large frame. I might have experimented with a treatment that could perhaps tie together all the drawers. Just my thoughts.

In any case, it is a major project and you should be proud of the work!

"Michael Hinkel"
07-12-2007, 7:17 PM
It looks pretty darn good, I had to go back and look at your pick, my eye saw the bottom drawers as pulling the pieces together. If that makes sense.

Bert Johansen
07-12-2007, 7:30 PM
Maybe something like this?

Don Bullock
07-12-2007, 8:07 PM
I have been parousing through the forum for a couple of months now... think its time to feed myself to the sharks...

Not with great work like that! Welcome to the "Creek." We need to hear more from you.:D

Anthony Anderson
07-12-2007, 9:49 PM
Dad, I mean Craig (sorry I got caught up in traveling back to my childhood as I would have loved to have had that desk system when I was a kid, heck I would love to have it even now). Great work! I thought those doors were intended to have that look. I have seen stain intentionally applied to create that effect before. BTW, what stain and topcoat did you use on the project? Glad to have you here. Bill

John Timberlake
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Looks great. I wouldn't bother remaking the doors. Nice design and execution.

Pat Germain
07-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Nothing like a tiny, novelty project to get things going. ;)

Nice job, Craig. Looks very nice.

Greg Funk
07-12-2007, 11:29 PM
Very nice job on the library Craig. I like the Spyder...

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Bert,

Thanks for the thoughts, I had actually designed and mocked up something close to your sketch for the wife... she shot it down being that I planned on doing the adjacent kitchen with similar cabinetry... and she wanted a more 'classic' style. She wanted the Inset doors while I was shooting for a more 'european' cab style with a 3 level door like you drew up... Natural Maple with a bubinga accent ring... maybe next time.

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Dad, I mean Craig (sorry I got caught up in traveling back to my childhood as I would have loved to have had that desk system when I was a kid, heck I would love to have it even now). Great work! I thought those doors were intended to have that look. I have seen stain intentionally applied to create that effect before. BTW, what stain and topcoat did you use on the project? Glad to have you here. Bill

Bill,

Stain = Valspar Oil - 'Pecan' - Off the shelf, as I recall.
Topcoat = ML Campbell Pre-cat Lacquer Medium Rub

I typically use the Valspar Oil based stains, I wouldn't mind others thoughts on good stains to use... but after working with a number of them, I have always found it to apply nicely without giving you any hot spots. Granted, proper wood prep will greatly diminish a lot of unnecessary color variation, but the valspar has always seemed to be helpfull. Craig

Dennis Kelly
07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
If that's something you are NOT happy with...I can't wait to see a project you are happy with!! It looks wonderful!!!!

Ralph Okonieski
07-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Don't be so critical. The variation in wood is one of the challenges that makes woodworking so enjoyable. There is nothing wrong with the library to my eye. If you had not indicated the stain issue, no one would have been the wiser. Very nice craftsmanship!

Charles Jackson III
07-13-2007, 6:00 PM
Very nice work!

Jason Boushard
07-13-2007, 7:10 PM
thats some first project! nice work I need to build one for my office but dont think it will happen this year.

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 8:09 PM
thats some first project! nice work I need to build one for my office but dont think it will happen this year.

Jason,
Its not my 1st project,just the first posted to Sawmill Creek, But thanks to those who have commented kindly:rolleyes:

Jason Boushard
07-13-2007, 8:35 PM
good I was going to sell my tools lol

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 8:57 PM
good I was going to sell my tools lol

:D Don't do that... this is too much fun...

Per Swenson
07-13-2007, 9:09 PM
Craig,

That is a fine Job.

Looks nicer then anything in my house.

(note to those who think I am pulling his leg),

I have never worked on my house. :o

Per