PDA

View Full Version : Spraying water based poly outside

Ray Dockrey
07-12-2007, 5:45 PM
I am thinking about getting a HVLP setup but there is no way I can spray in my garage. It is possible to get a nice finish spaying water based poly outside? I have read of some people doing it but was wondering what the general concensus was. I usually brush it on but I have a rather large project and really want to start spraying things for a better finish.

Jason Roehl
07-12-2007, 5:51 PM
It can be done, but you'll sure want to pick your days carefully. Avoid the extremes--high/low humidity (30-70% would be best), high/low temps (65-75F is best), direct sun and wind. Basically, you would want to duplicate normal interior conditions. Snow, sleet and hail are right out.

Mike Henderson
07-12-2007, 7:47 PM
I do it here in southern California but we don't have a lot of weather extremes - it's always cool and the humidity is low. I don't do it in the sun, however - always in the shade.

Look into the Porter Cable HVLP conversion gun (http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-Gravity-Feed-Spray-PSH1/dp/B00005R1IK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5715437-7804800?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1184284164&sr=8-1)- works well.

Mike

Anthony Anderson
07-12-2007, 9:55 PM
Ray, you can do it. I put on three coats. Make sure to "nib" after the first and second coats. The first nibbing make take some time to remove sanding dust and dust that found its way in the finish via the outside air movement. Tack the first nibbed coat. Spray the second coat, wait to dry. This should be a relatively quick nib, and tack this as well. Spray 3rd coat and you should have a nice finish. As others have said, choose your days carefully, wind, temps, and moisture/humidity, and you will be fine. I spray with a DeVilbiss Finishline HVLP and have very good luck. Good Luck, Bill

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
you are better off going with a polishing setup than trying to get good results outside. The stuff int he air will ruin your efforts.

Polishing on the other hand is a slam dunk for excellent finishes no matter how dirty your environment is. It's just more work.

One cheap way way to take advantage of the surface finishing power of polishing is to use a fine wet hand sand followed by a wipe on coat or two they dry really fast so less dust gets on the surface.

Michael Stanley
07-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I do it all the time with good results. I use one of those tent style canopies that are easy to set up. Add some tarps for sidewalls on windy days and you have a spray booth.