PDA

View Full Version : Hammer 4400 or scheppach basato5-2 or even startrite 352- thoughts please!

Ian Welford
07-12-2007, 5:03 PM
I have a great Elektra beckum 315 bandsaw which I am considering upgrading. I was keen on the basato but a couple of local guys have had uissues with the blade guides working loose ( during use!). The Startrite is built like a brick out house and the guides ( steel pins) are basic. Then the hammer came on the scene over here. It's been out a while over yonder so a few comments please-

1. How good are the blade guides?
2. How goods the dust extraction point?
3. I want the extra capacity for re sawing veneer down to about 2mm ( 3/32") over about 8 to 10" deep( 200-300mm). Anyone used it for this and how accurate was it.
4. the tensioning handle seems to be under the top wheel doesn't this loose some capacity?

cheers for any help Ian

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2007, 7:55 PM
When I was buying my Slider and JP I asked the sales rep about Felder and Hammer saws.

He said I could do better elsewhere if a re-saw was my target.

I didn't bother to ask why.

Paul B. Cresti
07-12-2007, 8:14 PM
Ian,
Not sure who really makes the Hammer or if it really matters but in your neck of the woods (I am assuming some jolly ole place :) ) I would also consider an Italian made saw from companies like: Centauro, ACM, Agazzani, Meber....there so many different manufacturers to choose from and they are all quite good

John Renzetti
07-12-2007, 8:28 PM
Hi, I believe that the Hammer 4400 is made by ACM in Italy. From what I can tell it's a decent saw at a decent price. I think they are around $1600 in the USA. I think the Startrite is also an ACM machine.
take care,
John

Jamie Buxton
07-12-2007, 8:29 PM
There is a Felder/Hammer forum on Yahoo Groups: http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/felder-woodworking/

You might look there for info, too.

Ian Welford
07-13-2007, 3:02 PM
thanks for suggestions guys. I think I'll have to go see the importer as I really want to check out the guides.

John/Paul thanks for comments re ACM. I know they make some of the startrite table saws but hadn't considered them making the bandsaws ( just takes a broad hint to get through at times.....).

Jamie- I have tried the web site but it seems a bit biased to me but didn't join it so not total access.

As for the UK being a jolly ol place well it's pretty deep in water recently ( not quite New Orleans bad but the worst we've had for 20 years) but otherwise Yup I'd say it's pretty jolly. Best bit is the local saw mill head saw miller is a friend who has lots of oak burrs !

Hence the need for a bigger bandsaw. His cuts 5 feet deep using a 5" wide ceramic tipped blade! So my needs are a bit on the small side for him.