PDA

View Full Version : Rolling beads

Burt Alcantara
07-12-2007, 3:40 PM
I'm practicing the V-cut from Alan Lacer's excellent video, "The Skew Chisel." I can make a decent bead but they are not round. On the video, Alan says, after making a few beads, "now you can roll the bead with a skew or gouge."

Maybe he can but I don't have a clue. Fiddled around with both but messed up the bead all the time.

I want tiny beads to put on small boxes. But I'll settle for anything at this point. I'm practicing on 2x4s.

Thanks,
Burt

Harvey M. Taylor
07-12-2007, 4:58 PM
You are not alone in your frustration, believe me.

Gordon Seto
07-12-2007, 5:15 PM
It is easier to use the 3-point tool to make small beads. Stacey Hager has an excellent video in AAW web site demonstrating how to do that.
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/videos/2005_fall_point_tool.wmv

Another option is using the beading/parting tool.

It is easier to make a round symmetrical beads with either than skew.

Gordon

Jude Kingery
07-12-2007, 5:20 PM
Hey Burt, I'd say Gordon's gotcha covered, it IS easier to use a beading tool or if you don't have one (I don't) then a parting tool. You can ease into it without any or much tear out and have nice round coves and beads. Maybe try that and see if you like it? Jude

Burt Alcantara
07-12-2007, 5:43 PM
I couldn't see the configuration of the point tool. Looks like something that could be made on the grinder using big nails, old fat screw drivers and etc.

Can you describe it in more detail?

I'll also give my various parting tools a shot as well.

Thanks guys,
Burt

Gordon Seto
07-12-2007, 6:11 PM
Burt,

Do you belong to AAW? I think that article was published around 2005/2006 in their quarterly magazine.
If you do a Google search on "AAW point tool", you can get a lot of information about this tool. I made mine from ¼" round HSS tool bits from ENCO. I just grind it to a pyramid pointed tip and put it in a very short handle, so you can get close when using it.

When you are using the parting tool as a beading tool. You cut with the corners of the tool. It works just like a skew.

Gordon

Bill Grumbine
07-12-2007, 6:25 PM
Burt

I do a lot of demos with a skew, and one of the things I show is that you don't have to get the bead perfect to get a perfect bead. :D All you need to do is get it close. Then you sand it. With a little bit of practice, you should be able to get good beads and then finish them with sandpaper.

Some turners seem to think that sandpaper is anathema, but if you intend to put any finish of any kind on the spindle you are turning, you are going to need to prepare all the surfaces to the same level so that they will take the finish to the same degree. If you have a bunch of sanded portions on your spindle, and then some highly burnished beads, they are going to stand out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2007, 6:47 PM
I agree with Bill. You don't need to get the whole spindle and beads with burnished look. The beads don't have to be perfect. Use your sandpaper to round them out. I got Lacers DVD because I could not make the skew work for me like you Burt. Of all the tools for turning I spent many hours learning the skew. I have 4 of them and love to use that tool. Keep working at it Burt. You will get it. Try what Bill said and see if they don't look a lot better.

Burt Alcantara
07-12-2007, 7:13 PM
I'm finding more and more comfort with the skew. My main objective is to be able to put some small beads on boxes, specifically, at the bottom and lid so they kiss. Then a nice fat bead on the base. So far, my beads are somewhat crude.

However, now that I'm learning the v-cut I think the addition of sandpaper, as Bill suggests, might do the trick.

I couldn't find any information on the tool itself. Your brief explanation, a pyramid, gives me enough to fiddle around. I tried to grind a big nail but couldn't get it symmetrical - 4 sides.

Thanks,
Burt

Bernie Weishapl
07-12-2007, 7:57 PM
Good for you Burt. You will get it I am sure. Just keep at it.

Ron Hipp
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Burt
Here is a link on how to make the tool, hope it helps..

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/tools.shtml

Ron

Ken Fitzgerald
07-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Keep practicing Burt and the skew can become your friend. As Bill stated....the beads can be skewed......and then corrected with sandpaper.

Mike Ramsey
07-13-2007, 12:31 PM
The skew is a fun tool when you learn it, but if you give up on it then
you could just buy a beading tool which is easier to make a bead with,
I'm told anyway as i've never used one myself. But I'm sure it will need
a lot of sanding also as it is basicly a scraper.

Gordon Seto
07-13-2007, 1:48 PM
you could just buy a beading tool which is easier to make a bead with,
I'm told anyway as i've never used one myself. But I'm sure it will need
a lot of sanding also as it is basicly a scraper.

Mike,

There are two kinds of beading tools:

One kind is a square beading/parting tool like this.http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/large/ham-bead-part_l.jpg
To use this kind of tool for beading, it is certainly a cutting, not scraping tool (unless the bead is much higher than the adjacent features). I use the corner of the tool more or less like a skew. The beads can be varying in sizes with the same tool.

The other kind that is shaped like a half bead.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/products/large/ham-bead_l.jpg
I think this kind of beading tool has very limited usage except in production; each tool can only form one size of bead. There are some variations in design on this kind of tools; basically they are scraping tools. Don't overlook scraping, Bob Rosand demonstrated using a similar one (not the one pictured) in our Club. The finish was very good, hardly any sanding at all.

Gordon

Mike Ramsey
07-13-2007, 2:53 PM
[quote=Gordon Seto;620697]Mike,

There are two kinds of beading tools:

Gordon,
Actually there are several beading tools, here is one you didn't picture.

Burt Alcantara
07-13-2007, 3:52 PM
Ron,
Thanks for that link. There was also a link to build a Longworth chuck. I did this a few months ago but the thing exploded and flew off crashing into a brick wall. My bad. I glued a tenon on and should of screwed it on.

I viewed The Skew Chisel again last night and watched as Alan turned a tiny, tiny bead with that big fat skew. I don't know how he can even see where to set the point down. However, he did use sandpaper as Bill recommended. Guess I blanked on that one.

My skew chops are pretty good on 2bys but I get cold feet on the good stuff. Guess that's how you get to Carnegie Hall.

Burt

Rich Souchek
07-13-2007, 10:43 PM
... My main objective is to be able to put some small beads on boxes, specifically, at the bottom and lid so they kiss. Then a nice fat bead on the base...

Yes a skew will work, if one is skilled.
I find a 5/16" or fat 1/4" detail gouge witha fingernail grind is perfect for this type fo bead and finish work. I can roll the gouge and make smooth beads, cut coves, etc. The fingernail grind lets me get a good sharp corner and the base of beads also. If The bead is to be undercut, a diamond point scraper or skew point is used.
There are many other ways to do these beads, maybe others will post here.
Rich S.

Chris Barton
07-14-2007, 8:08 AM
Or, and I'm sure I'll be spanked for this, you could just learn to use your skew and keep a bunch of green in your pocket. I have spent much in the past to try to do the same thing (avoid the skew) and then finally embraced it. Now it's my favorite tool.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Burt.........Chris placed a challenge last fall. I took a jump at that challenge. I spent 4 or 5 days....wasting wood....only using my skew. I practiced sharpening my skew and using it. Now like Chris.....my favorite tool is my skew. I do complete spndle projects....quickly and easily using just the skew. I turned a globe acrylic bottlestopper for my youngest son Monday evening waiting for him to arrive from Houston using just the skew. Didn't pickup another tool. Beal buffed it......Done!.......I often turn bottlestoppers and pens....don't pickup another tool....AND that was with a 3/4" straight edged Robert Larson skew. I've got two new Lacer skews I haven't used or sharpened yet. Joel Sauder was here Sunday to sharpen his tools. We turned a Euro pen....just used the skew. It's a great tool once you learn to sharpen and use it. Just takes practice......Hang in there...It just takes practice. Sharp....sharp....sharp....hone and practice!