PDA

View Full Version : Second attempt at Ball & Claw

Mike Henderson
07-12-2007, 1:40 PM
A week or so ago, I posted my first attempt to carve a Ball & Claw foot. Several of you were kind enough to give me some suggestions to improve my carving. I've now carved my second B&C foot (see pictures).

I'm generally happy with the way it came out. One suggestion you made was to concentrate more on the back claw and the way it flowed into the ball - that is, don't make it straight down. I concentrated on that aspect of this B&C and think it came out much better than my previous one.

I brought the web down on this one, maybe too much.

Your continued suggestions will be appreciated.

Mike

Matt Bickford
07-12-2007, 3:04 PM
Your first attempt seemed like a good first attempt. (My first try, a poor one, ended in frustration with half of the ball on the floor.) I think this is a great second shot. It's really well done! My only critique would be to make the transition from claw to web a little more distinguishable towards the edge of the web. (note: it may be perfect now but the flash on your camera has hidden the shadow.)

Mike Henderson
07-12-2007, 4:26 PM
Your first attempt seemed like a good first attempt. (My first try, a poor one, ended in frustration with half of the ball on the floor.) I think this is a great second shot. It's really well done! My only critique would be to make the transition from claw to web a little more distinguishable towards the edge of the web. (note: it may be perfect now but the flash on your camera has hidden the shadow.)
Thanks for the comments, Matt. Here's a couple of additonal pictures taken in natural light in an attempt to better show the web. Please let me know if you think it still needs more transition.

Mike

Joe Unni
07-12-2007, 5:45 PM
Mike,

I REALLY like the way the back of the leg flows into the ball...the claw seems to come alive.

Maybe one day I'll learn to carve a bit.

Good work,
-joe

Clint Jones
07-12-2007, 5:51 PM
Mike, I think they look great how they are. Im sure when they have their finish on them they will be much more defined. The curve on the transition from back claw to leg is amazing and it gives the feet a life like stance on the ball. It is hard to believe that is your second attempt they look excellent. Please keep us posted on the project I would love to see the finished piece.

Joel Ficke
07-12-2007, 6:16 PM
Mike,

I'm always hesitant to give feedback like this as it's so subjective. Of course, I like the Philadelphia B&C look and since you're opening up the talons, perhaps you like the Newport look better -- or maybe you're going for a unique Mike look altogether :-)

Anyway, for my taste, the top knuckle is too high (maybe), webbing needs to be recessed further and a lot of material removed above the webbing and ankle. It will change the look from sort of a pyramid to a light foot grabbing a ball.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67238&d=1183406301

In the image above, the webbing is back probably 1/8" to 3/16" too far, but notice how much less material there is between the webbing/top knuckle and ankle as well as how much lower the top knuckle is.

That said, Mike your carving execution looks good. The ball is round, transitions smooth, very nice. Much of what's suggest above is just the look I like. Would be nice to sit these die by side -- sometimes photos can be deceiving.

Mike Henderson
07-12-2007, 7:24 PM
Mike,

I'm always hesitant to give feedback like this as it's so subjective. Of course, I like the Philadelphia B&C look and since you're opening up the talons, perhaps you like the Newport look better -- or maybe you're going for a unique Mike look altogether :-)

Anyway, for my taste, the top knuckle is too high (maybe), webbing needs to be recessed further and a lot of material removed above the webbing and ankle. It will change the look from sort of a pyramid to a light foot grabbing a ball.

http://sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67238&d=1183406301

In the image above, the webbing is back probably 1/8" to 3/16" too far, but notice how much less material there is between the webbing/top knuckle and ankle as well as how much lower the top knuckle is.

That said, Mike your carving execution looks good. The ball is round, transitions smooth, very nice. Much of what's suggest above is just the look I like. Would be nice to sit these die by side -- sometimes photos can be deceiving.
Thanks for the comments, Joel. I thought the web came down too far, also, but didn't know where to take it - I was afraid to take too much. I do think yours looks better with the higher web.

I'm not trying to make a reproduction so I'm not aiming for a Philadelphia for Newport style - I was just doing my own "thing", doing what I thought would look good. I'd look at it as a I was carving and go with my instincts. I opened the talons just because it was a challenge.

I find the B&C to be a challenging carving project. And doing two (or four) that match seems really a challenge. I'm afraid that when I was doing the second one, I'd want to experiment some more and the two wouldn't look anything like each other.

Mike

Corvin Alstot
07-14-2007, 4:42 PM
Looks very good. Very impressive for your second effort.
I think doing your own thing is probably the best way to get started, as your eye will tend to know what looks right,
and you can focus on improving the techical skills. As you get more confident, research to look at various styles
to see the subtle differences.

Mike Henderson
07-14-2007, 8:36 PM
Wow, Corvin, those are GOOD! The claws look creepy reaching over the ball, and the back claw is very well done. I'm going to keep those pictures and look at them for inspiration next time I do a B&C.

I assume that's done in mahogany - what's the finish?

Thanks for posting.

Mike

Carl Eyman
07-16-2007, 8:55 AM
Mike:
Those are impressive. Like 'em.