PDA

View Full Version : The Mallet turning contest is on!

Robert Miller
07-12-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm pleased to announce that the mallet turning contest is on!:D :D
So far we have four entries:

Mike Henderson - a white oak mallet, and a maple mallet.

Mr. & Mrs.Kevin Day - hard maple and one in osage orange.

I will post pictures of all the mallets on my new workbench
( Das Bench) and members can vote for the winner. The winner will recieve a brand new Lie-Neilson leather chisel case ( no chisels included:rolleyes: ).

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/chiselroll.jpg
I will pay all postage for each entry ,and each entry will recieve a gift for entering. The deadline for entering will be August 1, 2007. I hope everyone has some fun turning.
Let's see what you can do!!!
Send your entry to:

Robert Miller
1338 Mayfair Ter.
Ft Myers, Fl 33919

Jude Kingery
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Hello Robert, Fun contest! I just sent you your Mesquite mallet this morning! Best wishes and can't wait to see everyone's entries on your bench once gathered! Thanks for the fun! Jude

Ken Fitzgerald
07-12-2007, 1:02 PM
Robert....You sly rascal!

Robert Miller
07-12-2007, 2:14 PM
Robert....You sly rascal!

Well, that's one way to get some great mallets, and have everyone have a little fun, huh?;)

Now for the vise handles.......:D

Jude Kingery
07-12-2007, 2:21 PM
Robert, show us a picture of what you'd like on the vise handles? You could be innudated if you're not careful, ha! Jude

Robert Miller
07-12-2007, 4:11 PM
Robert, show us a picture of what you'd like on the vise handles? You could be innudated if you're not careful, ha! Jude

I'd be honored to have some of the parts that I can't make for Das Bench to be made by Creek members. This bench deserves more than a closet dowel for it's handles.
I've always wanted to learn to turn but.........haven't yet:( .

I would need two handles for Das Bench and a spare if possible. The dimensions would be:

14 inches overall lenght
The dowel section 7/8" OD by 12 inches in lenght.
The end round balls about 1 1/4 inches.
Like this:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/visehandle_close.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/visehandle_lg.jpg

I would think it would open up a lot of possiblities in species selection,and end ball shapes for both the dowel section and the handle end balls.
Obviously, one ball has to be removable.
I'm just amazed at how nice everyone here at the Creek is. What a wonderful group of craftsman ( gals too!)
Thank you all.

Robert Miller
07-20-2007, 8:58 AM
Hello Robert, Fun contest! I just sent you your Mesquite mallet this morning! Best wishes and can't wait to see everyone's entries on your bench once gathered! Thanks for the fun! Jude

I just recieved a beautiful Mesquite mallet from Jude, and I've entered you in the contest.
I've never seen mesquite before, it looks like it's hard as nails. As soon as I've received all the entries, I'll post pictures of each mallet for everyone to vote for the winner.
Thanks Jude!

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
So Robert, what happens to all these mallets after the contest is over?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Uh....Chris......See my earlier post!:D

Robert Miller
07-20-2007, 11:15 AM

Actually, my next project is this tool chest (after the bench is finished )where I will display the mallets and use them. I do a lot of handwork and I like the craftsmanship of doing things by hand.
So i will proudly display them and use them.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g148/robmill54/99928031_xl.jpg

Chris Barton
07-20-2007, 2:44 PM
Might I offer an alternate suggestion? Why don't you keep ONE and then donate the remainder to your local high school's shop class? You could make a little presentation out of it complete with pictures and it would make a great story to share with one of the woodworking publications.

Joe Tonich
07-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Might I offer an alternate suggestion to the alternate suggestion?

Since I don't do Neander I don't know, but, I figure you need different mallets (Size, weight, hardness, etc...) for different applications. My suggestion is to keep em and maybe find one or two young adults who want to learn Neander woodworking. Most school districts don't have woodshop classes anymore, far as I know.

My other suggestion is to ignore the people (me included) who feel they need to inject suggestions telling someone what to do. Everyone here is a big boy/girl who knows what he needs, and can decide for themselves if they would like to donate a mallet to Robert. If they include a note saying to donate if he doesn't use it, then he should honor it. If there is none.....he can decide for himself the most appropriate action to take.

Roy Griggs
07-20-2007, 11:14 PM

Robert,
Not wanting to inundate you with too many mallets I thought I would just send you a picture...

They are from left to right...Elm 18 oz.
Osage Orange 22 oz.
Bocote 14 oz.
The first two are weighted with lead but the Bocote mallet is not.
roy

Jeff Bower
07-27-2007, 2:41 PM
Has this contest ended? I don't have an entry, but I'd like to see the end results that were sent if we can:)

Robert Miller
07-27-2007, 4:54 PM
Has this contest ended? I don't have an entry, but I'd like to see the end results that were sent if we can:)

It ends August 1, 2007.

I will post pictures of all the entries. , and as I've stated before I'm not looking for anyone to ' donate' a mallet to me.:(

If you want to enter the contest I just thought it would be fun for everyone to see what you can do, and I like these handmade mallets.
I will gladly pay anyone for their work whether you want to enter for the prize, or not. Completely up to you of course.

Once again, I've clearly stated that I will pay for these mallets.So I'm not sure why someone would suggest the word 'donating' one to me.

Robert Miller
07-27-2007, 4:56 PM

Robert,
Not wanting to inundate you with too many mallets I thought I would just send you a picture...

They are from left to right...Elm 18 oz.
Osage Orange 22 oz.
Bocote 14 oz.
The first two are weighted with lead but the Bocote mallet is not.
roy

Those are just beautiful. I envy your ability to make these.
I HAVE to learn to do this.....

Jeff Bower
07-27-2007, 4:58 PM
Thanks for the update.:)

Robert Miller
07-27-2007, 5:07 PM
Might I offer an alternate suggestion to the alternate suggestion?

Since I don't do Neander I don't know, but, I figure you need different mallets (Size, weight, hardness, etc...) for different applications. My suggestion is to keep em and maybe find one or two young adults who want to learn Neander woodworking. Most school districts don't have woodshop classes anymore, far as I know.

My other suggestion is to ignore the people (me included) who feel they need to inject suggestions telling someone what to do. Everyone here is a big boy/girl who knows what he needs, and can decide for themselves if they would like to donate a mallet to Robert. If they include a note saying to donate if he doesn't use it, then he should honor it. If there is none.....he can decide for himself the most appropriate action to take.

I will gladly donate any mallet sent to me a turner wants donated. I just want to be clear that I was not looking for something for nothing. It just seemed like it would be fun for everyone to compete for the prize.

I will enter you for the prize , donate your mallet, or pay your price for any mallet I recieve.
Your choice.

Joe Tonich
07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I will gladly donate any mallet sent to me a turner wants donated. I just want to be clear that I was not looking for something for nothing. It just seemed like it would be fun for everyone to compete for the prize.

I will enter you for the prize , donate your mallet, or pay your price for any mallet I recieve.
Your choice.

Robert,

I apologize for my comment. I did not intend it to be seen as you're looking for freebee's, just that you should be able to do whatever you'd like with the mallets sent. I'm not very PC with written words, and they don't always come out like I mean em' to. Again, I apologize. :o

Tyler Howell
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Do Bonkers count???:o