PDA

View Full Version : Vanity pics

Craig D Peltier
07-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Heres a simple vanity I built for a client 2 weeks ago, took about 2 days.She was to finish with a dark mahogany stain and have her friend put the sink on top. Its made out fo Poplar and Birch Ply.Pocket screws and glue hold it together. Tapered legs were done on bandsaw as was arch under. Nothing fancy but maybe someone will like the look and can use something from it.

Lee Schierer
07-12-2007, 1:03 PM
Nice job. I'm not sure why the current thinking is to have open space under vanities? Seems like just a place for dust to collect that is hard to clean and you have to put flooring under it.

Craig D Peltier
07-12-2007, 2:00 PM
Nice job. I'm not sure why the current thinking is to have open space under vanities? Seems like just a place for dust to collect that is hard to clean and you have to put flooring under it.
Too many Pottery barn books in the mail!:D Actually this is a replica of a restoration hardware piece, they wanted $800 with stain.

Tim Malyszko
07-12-2007, 2:10 PM
The vanity looks really cool. It may be a restoration hardware replica, but I'm sure your piece is constructed much better than their mass produced piece.

I wondered the same thing a while back and my Mom who designs kitchens and baths for a living had two reasons:

It looks like a piece of furniture instead of just another vanity - something found in higher end homes that has now started to work its way down to more moderately priced homes.
For a small bathroom (like the one in our small house), it actually gives the illusion of it looking bigger - less bulk I guess.

Chuck Lenz
07-12-2007, 2:52 PM
I hate to say it, but you may be sorry you used poplar, or you just might get lucky and it will stain ok. Nice job otherwise. I hope you didn't do it too cheap.

Craig D Peltier
07-12-2007, 4:26 PM
I hate to say it, but you may be sorry you used poplar, or you just might get lucky and it will stain ok. Nice job otherwise. I hope you didn't do it too cheap.

I have only had success with poplar as many others will tell you on here also. Long as your not clearcoating it and using a fairly dark stain or paint it finishes nice.This client used a expresso colored stain so it would be plenty dark. Heres a piece I also did about 5 months ago with dark stain, its all poplar.I have had lots of interest in it from other commissions. Next job is making 4 of these.

Charles Jackson III
07-12-2007, 5:33 PM
Very nice Vanity!

Jim Becker
07-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Very nice, Craig!

Lee, the "furniture" look is very in...what I've done on mine is to extend to the floor, but set back about 4" or so from the front. Once that panel is painted flat black, it tends to disappear.

John Shuk
07-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Very nice. I like the look that legs give a vanity. Mark Singer mentioned it in another thread. I was perusing the Pottery Barn catalog and saw nothing but vanities with legs.