PDA

View Full Version : Dustbin for a Cyclone

William Harrison
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Each month I get one step closer to by cyclone up a running. This month I need some suggestions for a dustbin collector. I would like a 30 gallon steel drum for a dustbin. I have found that Oneida-Air will sell a 50 gallon but that is a bit heavy for me. So how do I convert a 30 gallon drum to a dust bin? I need to cut a hole in the top of an open head drum and attach a flange. But I have never worked with metal before and need more specifics like the tools I would need to cut it and how to attach the flange so that it is air tight.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I am also curious if anyone knows, does the length of the hose connecting the cyclone to the dustbin affect the cyclone performance? I would like to put a 4 foot piece to connect the cyclone to the dustbin.

thanks

Bill

Mike Heidrick
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Ever think about using heavy walled plastic bins. I was just introduced to a world of free plastic drums at car wash places thanks to recommendations by members on woodnet. My first call landed me two 30 gallon and one 55 gallon drums. The tops are sealed and have two threaded holes in them. Holes can be cut into them with regualr tools. I used a variable speed Bosch Colt router set on 6 with a Holbren 1/4" straight cut bit to remove the top of the 55, then used a flush cut bottom bearing Bosch bit and smoothed the cut. I would see no reason you could not do the same with a smaller hole right in the top. I guarentee you are not going to compress these drums with any shop dust collection cyclone as the cyclones staic pressure is not high enough.

Also, recently HTC was selling drum dollies for $15 each in case you need some. That is very cheap. Shipping was $12 I believe but when I ordered them with the big planer's mobile base the shipping was still $12.

Matt Meiser
07-12-2007, 12:12 PM
A jig saw would be perfect. I think it goes without saying that metal drums may have sharp edges when cut, but be careful with the plastic ones too. I sliced my finger open badly on one of my plastic drums after cutting the top out with a jigsaw.

However, I think the fiber drum is the way to go on a DC as they are lighter and come with a nice snap-on lid with a retaining ring. I got two from a local farm for myself a couple years ago and three more a few weeks ago for some guys in my club.

Jim O'Dell
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
I also used a plastic 55 gallon chemical barrel. I used my PC Tiger saw to rough cut the top off leaving the rim intacr, then used a 4" angle grinder to smooth the cut. Used a piece of left o\ver 3/4" MDF for the lid with some rubber door/window sealer to seal the connection. Works great.
Length of hose from the cyclone to the barrel should not matter a bit. It would also let you know when you were over full. Still be a mess taking the top off, but you could see it before it got to your filters. Jim.

Randal Stevenson
07-12-2007, 12:40 PM
What about galvanized trash cans? If you seal the lid with some weather stripping, cut the hole in the top for the hose, then lift it off and grab the can by the handles?
I know the borg and several hardware stores sell them. Would that work?

Doug Shepard
07-12-2007, 12:57 PM
A little pricier than finding an old 55 gal and converting it but McMaster-Carr has 30 gal drums. I bought #4115T5 from them for my bin. $92.24 plus the shipping which was minor.

Doug Shepard
07-12-2007, 1:02 PM
Oops - Forget to answer the rest of your questions. Also got a press on flange collar #6766K4 from McMaster. Cut the hole through the top with a jig saw, then stuck the collar down. Also added 3-4 rivets for good measure but I'm not sure they were really necessary.

Edit:
Added links to pics on Clearvue's gallery pages
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400/Barrel2
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Dougs-Mini-CV1400/Underlid2

Matt Meiser
07-12-2007, 2:12 PM
I originally used a metal trash can. Worked fine with a gasket as you described. Just cut the top out with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade.

Cary Swoveland
07-12-2007, 2:40 PM
You might want to reconsider your premise that a 50-gallon steel drum is too much for you to handle. I'm annoyed when I have to stop work and empty my (Oneida) 50-gallon drum (and blow out the filter if I waited too long). Had I only a 30-gallon drum, I'd have to perform that task even more often.

It's not difficult to move a 50-gallon drum on a flat surface by rolling it on its rim. I line mine with two plastic bags sized for the drum (that I got at HD). When it's time to empty it, I simply roll the drum from under the cyclone, tie the bag, tip the drum to horizontal and slide the bag out.

I wanted a steel drum because I felt it was safer than one made of fibre or plastic, should the DC pick up an ignition source.

Cary

Roland Chung
07-12-2007, 3:22 PM
Plenty of great ideas here, but why not order the 30 gallon steel drum from Oneida? I'm pretty sure that is what I have. It is only about 24" tall, but it works out for me. I am using the bag liners and I ordered the little vacuum unit that helps keep the bag from being sucked into the unit - this keeps me from even having to deal with the weight of the 30 gallon unit. Yes, I have to slide the can out from under the cyclone, but I am only lifting the bag and sawdust.

By ordering the 30 gallon drum, you will be getting the lid and clamping system and will not have to innovate.

Why did you need the longer tubing between the can and the cyclone? However long you need it, it seems like it should be almost a straight drop into the can below - the dust will not travel sideways and would most likely clog the pipe in short order.

Roland

William Harrison
07-12-2007, 4:16 PM
Thanks for all the information everyone. Just to answer some of the questions.

I wanted a metal drum so I don't have to worry about the fire hazard so the 30 gallon Oneida won't do.

Also the cyclone is located up in the attic above my garage and I was hoping to just drop the waste down below. The setup I am doing will save me some space and noise issues. It would be nice if I didn't have to carry a drum down to the trash bin.

thanks for the help everyone you all have given me some good suggestions.

Rob Will
07-12-2007, 7:36 PM
I built a DC for some contractor friends a few years ago. The 55 gal metal dust collection bin is mounted on the wall at a height sufficient height to clear a plastic rolling trash can.

When the bin gets full, you just roll a trash can under and pull a slide gate. Contents fall into trash can.

RW

Mike Heidrick
07-12-2007, 7:52 PM
I built a DC for some contractor friends a few years ago. The 55 gal metal dust collection bin is mounted on the wall at a height sufficient height to clear a plastic rolling trash can.

When the bin gets full, you just roll a trash can under and pull a slide gate. Contents fall into trash can.

RW

Have any pictures of that?? One heck of a slide gate and SUPER tall building/ceilings I bet. Thanks for sharing. I bet that was a sweet setup.

Mike Heidrick
07-12-2007, 7:57 PM
Since many of you boys reading this may have cyclones, how did you upright yours??? Just did it tonight myself (you boys got me anxious to get mine together) with the delta and boy I do not know how in the world I would have done that without Johnny and its loader. The delta is put together on the ground in its stand and then uprighted. I have seen many setups where the motor and housing is mounted to the wall. WOW! I bet that was a crazy heavy job! What do other cyclones weigh (400lb for the delta). No way I would ever mount that on the wall :eek: :eek: :eek:!!

Bruce Wrenn
07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Don't just buy one 30 gallon metal trash can, buy two. Cut hole in the top of one for use on cyclone, leave other lid as is. When first is full, swap out the empty for it and put lid on full one until ready for disposal. The cans that Lowes carries have a step on the lid that is "just right" for using as a guide to cut for 6" inlet pipe.

Rob Will
07-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Have any pictures of that?? One heck of a slide gate and SUPER tall building/ceilings I bet. Thanks for sharing. I bet that was a sweet setup.

Sorry, no pics but here's the deal:

Cut the bottom out of a 55 gal drum.
Make a slide gate out of smooth 16ga. sheet metal and two layers of plywood. Shim the plywood apart so that the gate can slide, screw the assembly together. Make a wood handle to grip the gate, saw it in half and bolt it on the protruding edge of the metal gate.

2x2 Angle iron brackets welded on the drum have bolt holes for lagging to wall.

Suction fan and or cyclone sit on top of the drum. The metal drum contains the vacuum. Upon "cleanout" the chips are placed directly in a lightweight and easy to handle plastic trash can. (Another benefit of this approach: plastic trash cans are cheap and stackable so you can have more than one, even borrow one from elsewhere in the shop).

Yes, the one I did had a tall ceiling but Bill said his cyclone is in the attic. I think he may have enough headroom for a similar "drop hopper".

Rob

William Harrison
07-13-2007, 2:30 AM
Thanks Rob that is a fantastic idea. I think I will try to get a slide to work.

bill

Noah Katz
07-13-2007, 9:27 PM
I think it'd be cool if Clearvue made one so you could see when it needs to be emptied.

Al Barale
07-14-2007, 2:12 AM
Bill

I modified a 44 gallon drum to fit under my cyclone. Works really well. :)

Here is a link to see some pics
http://gallery.clearvuecyclones.com/Als-Cyclone-project

Roland Chung
07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
My 35 gallon Oneida can is metal.

Check out this link:

http://www.oneida-air.com/products/retrofit/drumkits.htm

I think that this is what you are looking for. Good luck!