PDA

View Full Version : Finally! One acrylic job down, one to go

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks again to all of you who helped with the flaming problem. I ended up just using acrylic "cheater pieces" to elevate the blank above the honeycomb. As promised, here are pics of the final product. Nothing fancy but it sure pays the bills. These glassware and plate racks are now on a 150 foot yacht, headed out of Savannah for adventure on the high seas.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/MY.NOAVIIGlassracks003.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/MY.NOAVIIGlassracks004.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/MY.NOAVIIGlassracks005.jpg

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/MY.NOAVIIGlassracks007.jpg

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Very nice work Belinda! Thanks for sharing it.

Michael Kowalczyk
07-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Very nice work. Did you design or did it come from the yacht customer? How thick is the acrylic and what speed did you have to use? Was it one pass or two? I also have a 60 watt but typically don't go over 3/8".
It is great to see unique finished projects. This is a nice one to add to your portfolio. I think most yacht owners are like horse owners, money is no object when they want what they want and want it now.

Have a Blessed day,

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Thanks Scott. We have already begun the second job, more glassware racks and custom bar racks. Will post those as we go. The glassware racks will be a little different in that they have an overlay that locks the bases of the stemware in place.

Garry McKinney
07-12-2007, 1:35 PM
What a great job , both to have and to do. You did excellent .

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 2:18 PM
Very nice work. Did you design or did it come from the yacht customer? How thick is the acrylic and what speed did you have to use? Was it one pass or two? I also have a 60 watt but typically don't go over 3/8".
It is great to see unique finished projects. This is a nice one to add to your portfolio. I think most yacht owners are like horse owners, money is no object when they want what they want and want it now.

Have a Blessed day,

We did the design work. Hope I don't get in to too much detail here. My partner makes the template of the cabinet. The yacht owner provided two of each glass/stem to be stored. The crystal for this job was primarily Waterford, and each glass differs just a little in size. You have to find that happy medium where there is no "rattle", but all of the glasses fit. We always try to make sure we have the largest piece of each style.
Then, of course, you have to try to fit in as many glasses/stems as possible without them touching each other, or the supports.

The acyrlic is 3/8", cut in one pass at 0.6 or 0.7 speed, 100% power, 1000 PPI.

Yes, yacht owners know what they want, and they don't mind paying, and many times they want the impossible. A sign in our showroom reads "The unusual we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer".

Michael Kowalczyk
07-12-2007, 2:32 PM
Thanks for the run down. you really have to be careful with your testing with the crystal. It's no fun to work for free unless you want to.
It's amazing how a photo looks one way but can be totally different material than what it appears to be.

I like the sign:cool:

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 2:36 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't handle the finest crystal and china in my everday life at home. At one point I had, best guesstimate, around $20,000 worth of crystal and china sitting around in the office. It makes me a little nervous. Factor in that we have a black cat as our office "mascot", and you get the picture. The martini glasses were so thin I was afraid to handle them. Life . . . it's just one new experience after another.:D

Frank Corker
07-12-2007, 8:56 PM
Belinda, that is truly an amazing job, the cabinet work looks superb too. Good market to get into there, I know quite a few yachty types, they really don't mind chucking the money at it.