PDA

View Full Version : My options on engraving a unknown medal

Tracey Bakewell
07-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone...

Well, I've been given yet another mystery medal to engrave a name on. It is very similar to another medal I was given and it engraved just fine. The other medal wasn't as critical, didn't require cermark as the laser just removed the finish and exposed the cheap grey material underneath so there was a nice contrast. This new medal is a very heavy luggage tag that a local Country Club provides all it's guests (they currently print a name out on a tape and tape it to it!!! -- Ak!)

It looks just like a medal... I've been pondering my options as I don't really have much area to experiment on:

1. Tape it, then engrave out the tape, and engrave the surface off under the tape. If I find there is not enough contrast, then apply a oxidizer???

2. Same as above, apply cermark instead of the oxidizer, and run laser over cermark???

3. There is an area off the center where I could remove an entire rectangle and remove the entire surface area of the medal, then cermark, and run laser (no tape needed on this one)

Any other options? It's just frustrating because I don't know what's the outer most coating on this thing. I'll grab my camera and attach pictures this morning, I'll also include a pic of the older cheaper medals I did.

I've been very successful with Chrome and Brass (thanks to the help of those in this forum!) so I'm not worried about the ability to mark metal, just the best approach I should have with this one since I can't really test much of the surface areas.

Thanks all!
Tracey

Tracey Bakewell
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Ok so I did it!!!

I ended up going with the route of...

place in the machine, engrave on 100% power, 4% speed, about 6 times to remove any coating (all the while the item is taped down very securely so it won't move), then very lightly cermarking, then using my brass settings of 75% power 8% speed, ran once more, and voila!!!

See attached!

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Looks like a great to me!

Frank Corker
07-12-2007, 9:02 PM
They will be happy with that one! Good job

Stephen Beckham
07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
I'll deny it if anyone ever says I do this in my store - but...

If you ever get in a fix where you don't want to do too much work like removing finish to put cermark on or you have cheap pot-ash metal that won't cermark, take a Sharpie with the big flat tip and make one quick pass (do not repeat stroke it will give you lines). It should leave you a black (or different color marker since they've got colors now) square of sorts.

Once it dries - reverse etch the letters at a light power -high speed. It will remove the square and leave the letters in permanent marker.

Since Sharpie sticks to almost anything. It's a quick and easy way to mark metals where you just need simple text. I DON'T do this on the back of those Medallions you can get for the kids... :D

Steve

ps... Okay - I do, but I do let the customer's take that as an option Vs. doing it without their knowledge. It compares to a cheap screen print.

Frank Corker
07-13-2007, 7:58 AM
.... and a Sharpie I'm guessing is a black permanent felt tip marker?

Stephen Beckham
07-13-2007, 9:28 AM
:eek: Sorry Frank - forgot we had "off-landers" in our forum.

Yes it's about the most popular Permanent Marker in the US that comes in many colors and shaped tips.

Take care - next time you're in Florida, pick up a marker or two... They mark really well and have the ability to give a feeling of Euphoria when sniffed - not that I've done that either....

Steve

Brian Robison
07-13-2007, 9:55 AM
And Made In Shelbyville Tn!!!!

Mike Null
07-13-2007, 10:50 AM
Frank

A Sharpie by any other name is still a Sharpie. (was that Shakespeare?)

Dave Jones
07-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Even though a Sharpie sticks to materials better than any other "permanent" marker out there, it really is not permanent on smooth finished or coated metals. It can rub off over time. Sometimes fairly quickly on some coatings. And it won't survive being cleaned with solvents (I'm including common kitchen cleaning materials)

It may stay looking good if the item is stuck in a display case and never handled.

It may not come off completely with handling, but will often get lighter or get streaks.

And the colors, like red, are nowhere near as permanent as the black. I've marked the red and the blue on a number of items where the black has held up well, and the colors came off much sooner.

Frank Corker
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Well it's certainly a quick way to get a job done. I wonder then if using something like an enamel paint and lasered the same way would look like a nicer finish. Enamel dries slightly raised but also very durable. I should imagine it would work just the same.

Stephen Beckham
07-13-2007, 12:54 PM
ps... Okay - I do, but I do let the customer's take that as an option Vs. doing it without their knowledge. It compares to a cheap screen print.

Concur - and that is part of the Option Vs. just doing it. I let the customer know the difference. Some customers want the more permanent option others with the flea market mentality want quick and cheap. Knowing the customer and being up front is always the best. Hope my jest of denial was not taken serious...

Steve