PDA

View Full Version : Jig Saw recommendations

Bob Moyer
07-12-2007, 9:50 AM
Looking to add a jig saw to my newbie workshop; any recommendations on new or used, my current budget is under $100.00. I have been checking ebay and craigslist.

I read on another forum that you can buy a cheap jigsaw as long as you upgrade the blade to a Bosch. Not sure if that was good advice since I noticed he was selling a Craftmsan for $15.00.

Thank you for a great forum!

Rob Diz
07-12-2007, 10:42 AM
If you spend a few more dollars, you should be able to get the Bosch on sale from Amazon. Rather than buying a "make do" tool that will not perform well and you will eventually replace, I would strongly urge you to get the tool that will perform better and will not need to be replaced.

IMO, the Bosch jigsaw is that tool.

Grady Cowardin
07-12-2007, 11:17 AM
You can buy a $50 craftsman and it will vibrate out of your hand like a jackhammer. Something with a metal body will always run smoother. Due to the motion of the blade the more stability it has the cleaner your cut. I have a Crapsman and it makes pretty rough cuts even with good blades. It was cheap and I didn't know that quality mattered as I've always viewed Jigsaws as something for rough cutting etc. But now I know.

Justin McCurdy
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I bought a Bosch 1590 and it ridiculously outperforms the Craftsman. The blades are thicker and do not bend while cutting wood.

John Shuk
07-12-2007, 11:22 AM
This is a pretty nice saw and $99.00
http://bosch.cpotools.com/saws/jig_saws/all_jig_saws/1587avsk-46.html

Rob Bodenschatz
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
If I were you, I'd jump on the one in John's link.

CPeter James
07-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Buy a Bosch. The difference between that and a cheap one is astounding. The most expensive tools are the cheap ones you buy...and buy...and buy!!! because they fail!!

CPeter

Homer Faucett
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

I used to have a Black and Decker 1970's jigsaw. I had read all about people raving over the Bosch, and I thought I might try a Bosch one day because it just took SOOOO long to cut anything with my old jigsaw, and you couldn't get a decent cut no matter what blade you used.

Well, I found a used 1587AVSK on ebay for $40 shipped, and the difference in performance between the old B&D and the Bosch was unbelievable. I bought another one at a pawn shop for my dad at about the same price. In my opinion, there is no other jigsaw besides a Bosch. Others may argue Festool, and it's probably a great tool, but the price difference doesn't justify it for my needs.

Mark Hollingsworth
07-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Definately get the Bosch. You won't regret it.

Randal Stevenson
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll second the 1587. I picked one up from a local "damaged freight" store, NIB for $80 after taxes. The price difference between that and the 1590 didn't make the easier blade changes worthwhile.

While better blades will make a difference in a cheaper tool, it won't make you happier to use it. I haven't tried the Festool (budget verses need/use), but what you MIGHT do, is post a wanted in the classifieds section. If someone gets a bunch of stuff from Bob, then they might sell you a Bosch.

Craig D Peltier
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I have the Bosch 1590 its very smooth.Works for me.

glenn bradley
07-12-2007, 12:32 PM
A good jigsaw is a joy to use. Between good and really poor are a whole family of jigsaws that are nothing but a pain; inaccurate, jumpy, noisy, etc. Prices for 'almost good' to dreadful run from near $100 to $15.

I don't mean to sound opinionated but I finally bought a real jigsaw after using what I thought was a jigsaw for years. I would only reach for it when I absolutely had to. The new saw gets used all the time.

CPO Bosch sells refurbs, I got my Bosch 1591EVSK on sale at Home Depot Online of all places for the best price at the time. Just my take on this and I'm not trying to be blunt but, if you're not going to go with a 'good' one, buy the cheapest thing you can find because its going to get replaced anyway.

Jimmy Newman
07-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Actually, if I recall the FWW jigsaw review from a year or two ago correctly, they rated the Bosch 1590 as about equal in quality to the Festool jigsaw.

I have a 1590 that I got from my dad a few years ago, and is a precision tool head and shoulders above any other jigsaw I have used (cheapies) which were only good for making really rough cuts.

Sam Shank
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
I have a porter cable that I picked up at a local auction for $30 and it's awesome. Leaves cuts as smooth as my table saw (WWII blade).

Grady Cowardin
07-12-2007, 2:08 PM

What has everyone's experiences been with reconditioned tools? Depending on the price gradient from a new model, I'm usually leery about them. 50% discount is hard to pass up but a few bucks here or there I always go with new.

Hal Flynt
07-12-2007, 3:50 PM
Bosch, Bosch or the Bosch.

Jim Bell
07-12-2007, 4:59 PM
Of the trhee I'd get the Bosch!:D

Charles Jackson III
07-12-2007, 5:23 PM
I would go with the Bosch also.

Bob Childress
07-12-2007, 5:29 PM
Bosch, Bosch or the Bosch.

I would choose the second one. :D :D

Tom Hargrove
07-12-2007, 5:52 PM
Over time, I have used Craftsman (bad), an old B&D (better), and DeWalt (better yet, but not great) jigsaws. I currently own and use the (reconditioned) model shown in the link above. It is a great saw, and has not let me down in the several years I have owned it.

The newer model has an improved blade change system, but otherwise appears to have the same features. You should be happy with either one.

Jim O'Dell
07-12-2007, 6:00 PM
I bought the PC 9543 about 3 years ago. It is ok, but I do find that it kicks up sawdust into my face, and I don't think the blade stays true 90 on cuts, both straight and curves. It has a lot of power and cuts well, though. I wish I could have played with the Bosch a little more. I liked it, but couldn't find a local dealer where I could actually play with it cuttiang something. The PC certainly wasn't a cheap unit, and I like it better than the B&D I had before, but I feel like there is something better out there, but can't quantify that statement. Jim.

Bob Feeser
07-12-2007, 6:40 PM
Maybe I shouldn't post this while I am so beat. I need to take a nap. I agree with everyone else, the Bosch jig saw is the way to go. I understand they invented the thing.

Something worth noting. I bought the model that had the hole in the top of the head, for an included long shafted narrow head screw driver to go down, in order to replace the blade. After that they came out with the model that had a quick blade change mechanism, identifiable as the one with the black plastic paddle integrated into the top. Then the model after that had a slide lever lower down on the front.

(Please note: Be sure and wear gloves when changing blades, they are swiss made. I thought it was a joke, when Bosch instructed you to do that, until I changed one, and the blade just glazed my finger, and caused a shred. The swiss aren't known for making knives for nothing, and that is who makes the Bosch jig saw blades.)

Here is what is important.
The one that I bought had the screwdriver hole in the top, and it took about 10 seconds to change a blade, and it cut a perfect 90 to the top, and I mean perfect.
The next model had the quick change mechanism, and it cut a perfect 88, say what? :) Seriously, even the Bosch rep at a show, who when challenged on it, and tested it found the same, then he broke out another brand new one, and it did the same thing.
The third model that had the slide lever lower on the front, had an overheating problem.
It is interesting to note that Bosch doesn't just manufacture and sell the newest model, but some of the earlier versions as well. You can see the models available at the Bosch web site. Boy I am being no help at all, not even a link. Like I said, nap time/ :mad: \

Is it possible that the market is flooded with used models that have the above mentioned problems?

In conclusion, I wouldn't buy any other jig saw other than a bosch, but make sure it cuts perfect 90's. I checked mine with a Bosch digital protractor. That is a topic for another post, and worthy of it. The Bosch digital protractor creates digital measurements of angles, accurate to a tenth of a degree, which is equal to 3600 dots in a circle, not matter how small the circle is, and it wasn't off by even one tenth of a degree, that kind of perfect.
The model with the quick change mechanism, at the show and in online reviews, was so far off, that a combination square made it as uneven as the PM2000 blade in the gentlemans post who is now receiving his third one from PM.
Sorry I did not look up the numbers on these models. I'm beat. I looked at mine, and their isn't even a model number on it, except a serial number that is buried by the handle.
I just thought that something as important as the above info should be known by my fellow SMC members before more purchases are made. Make sure it cuts a perfect 90 if you are buying a used one. Bring your square.
You can not adjust these to fine tune them either, the earlier models had a V groove it tightened into, so no adjustment was possible.

I have not been keeping up with the Bosch saws in the past 2 years, so maybe someone can enlighten me about the latest developments. I love mine, it is amazing. With a fine tooth blade, and a guide, you can cut a piece of melamine, and it will create such a perfectly smooth and even cut, it looks like it was ripped with a Forrest WWII. By the way, don't get the clear plastic covers, to prevent tear out, they fog up with saw powder and you can't see the line. Just use the fine blade, and you won't get any tear out, plus you can see the line. Hope this helps.

Rick Moyer
07-12-2007, 6:50 PM
The obvious consensus is Bosch. I have the 1587, but I suspect any of the models are similar. I feel this is the biggest upgrade of any tool I have; it's that much better than the lesser jigsaws. Of all the tools you may purchase in the future, you will never regret getting a Bosch jigsaw. How much will you miss $20-$40 over a ten to twenty year period? This one's a no-brainer to me!

Doug Lindley
07-12-2007, 7:13 PM
I have to go along with the concensus here. I bought a Bosch 1590 about a year ago because of all the great things that were written about it. I wondered if it could be as good as everything I read. I can tell you, you have to use it to believe the difference. It is so smooth and powerful unlike those cheap units that will have your arm shaking for 15 minutes after using it. It really does make using a jigsaw a pleasure rather then a horrible experience.

Doug

John Shuk
07-12-2007, 8:40 PM
What has everyone's experiences been with reconditioned tools? Depending on the price gradient from a new model, I'm usually leery about them. 50% discount is hard to pass up but a few bucks here or there I always go with new.

Grady,
I've bought refurbed Delta and Milwaukee tools from different sources with zero problems. I can't speak to Bosch but refurbed usually means that the factory has gone over it and made sure it performs "AS NEW".

Alain Tellier
07-12-2007, 9:06 PM
I used to have a jigsaw made by Skil... which name you need a lot to correctly handle this device. I swear in its previous life it must have been a paint mixer for it was impossible to saw a straight line much less a curve... it had a mind of his own.

Then I bought a Bosh 1590... ( angels singing! ) I was in jigsaw heaven! Straight, flawless and precise cut! One of my best power tool!

Jeff Raymond
07-12-2007, 9:19 PM
Just got a Bosch to replace a 25-year old Milwaukee.

Nice tool, very nice, much smoother than the Milwaukee.

Clint Winterhalter
07-12-2007, 9:36 PM
While crafting a race car bed for my nephew my C-man saw proved to be more than a handful. At the time I couldn't justify the Bosch in my head, so I bought what appeared to be a nicer Skil. I finished up my project and the Skil sat in its case quietly, waiting for its next chore. I had another head board project, so out came the Skil. A few minutes into my first cut I noticed that the shoe wasn't staying 90 degrees to the blade. So after a couple of adjustments / tightening etc I was back to my project. A couple of minutes later the same thing happened. Again I adjusted / tightened etc. This time I grabbed a piece of scrap.. BINGO SAME THING. The Skil hits the trash can and the Bosch came home. I wish I had done it in the first place.. It would have been cheaper in the long run!

Good Luck!

Clint

Randy Denby
07-12-2007, 9:50 PM
Well.....foot! I havent used my Bosch in a couple of years. I am going out to the shop and cut up some scrap.:D

patrick anderson
07-12-2007, 9:53 PM
you could definitely get a hitachi for under 100 and it got good reviews.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Looking to add a jig saw to my newbie workshop; any recommendations on new or used, my current budget is under $100.00.

Save your money and get a Bosch

Meanwhile go Neander.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I have both a Bosch and a cheap Craftsman ($5 at a garage sale). I use the Bosch. When someone wants to borrow my jig saw, they get the Craftsman.:D They don't ask again!

dan moran
07-12-2007, 11:11 PM
you could definitely get a hitachi for under 100 and it got good reviews.

i killed one of those guys after about 2 months of sporadic use(prolly twice a week)- its a good thing i didnt pay for it.:cool: the ergonomics are good on it, and it looks kinda cool, but it didnt seem to be interested in maintaining its internal integrity (but then again i did take the foot off of it and use it as a close quarters sawzall)

im gonna recommend the bosch(with the button and the flicker i dont have the model handy) , its a good saw, the end of the blade is unsupported(the simultaneous flaw and cornerstone of the design), so i really have no expectations of a true 90 degree cut- i will say that its closer than any others that ive used though..

same for curves- its better than all others, but i still have to clean up what i cut- just not as much as with others ive used.

it was about 60 over 100 when i bought it, its paid for itself in the 6 months ive had it through time/ frustration savings though.

good luck with whatever you choose..

Bruce Benjamin
07-12-2007, 11:33 PM
The Bosch jigsaw that's been raved about the most and has received the best reviews is the 1590/1591. The 1587 is the old model. It sounds like it's not a bad saw but the newer models have features that make them superior. The blade guide is the best and most unique feature that sets it above the rest. It has more power too.

I bought the 1591 reconditioned and when I opened the box it appeared to be brand new, unused. It's not really a very expensive tool. The difference between buying the best table saw or jointer and one that is just a decent one is a lot of money. But the difference between buying the best jigsaw and one that's just pretty good isn't really that much.

Bruce

ROBERT ELLIS
07-13-2007, 1:04 PM
A couple of years ago I bought the lesser priced Bosch, (about 129.00) expecting it to be a fine Swiss made machine. It had the "quick" blade release at the top of the tool. I never could get it to change any faster than I could when I used a screwdriver to change the blade on my Skill (actually always took much longer). I noticed it was made in a country whose letter starts with C****. I took it back to the store and traded it in for the higher priced Bosch (about 169.00) that was made in Switzerland. It has the quick blade change in the front, and it is user friendly and very quick . Much happier; it is indeed like all the others wrote - one fine piece of machine.

Bob Moyer
07-13-2007, 2:11 PM
Thanks to all who responded; I will be following eBay auctions for a Bosch jigsaw. I greatly apreciate a forum like this where individuals act like gentleman and are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

After many years away from working in the carpentry area (I worked for my uncle who was a builder as a youth); the urge was rekindled by 4 different mission trips I made to Mississippi with my church to help in the rebuilding of homes damaged by Hurricane Katrina.

Again, thank you!:D

Craig Thompson
07-13-2007, 4:47 PM
Bob,

I am going to agree with all the Bosch lovers...
I have went through a couple of jigsaws, and the bosch is by far the best. If you can spring for it I recomend the barrel grip, much easier for detail work.. and handier for tight spots if you are ever on the job site. I have the 1584avs..

Jason Boushard
07-13-2007, 4:54 PM
I just bought a bosch at the recomendations of these guys for my new job installing cabinets. My boss was like your rich look at that blah blah then he cut up a pice of scrap with it playing for about 5 min. Now we all have to have the bosch jigsaws lol. I havent needed it in my installs yet but right now I am just doing repair or punch work. mine is the 1587 just so you know that reman is a good price I would have done that but I needed to have it for work dont show up without your tools kind of thing

Rob Bodenschatz
07-13-2007, 5:01 PM
What do you think, guys? Looks like we'll have to agree to agree on this one.

:D

glenn bradley
07-13-2007, 6:37 PM
Bob,

I am going to agree with all the Bosch lovers...
I have went through a couple of jigsaws, and the bosch is by far the best. If you can spring for it I recomend the barrel grip, much easier for detail work.. and handier for tight spots if you are ever on the job site. I have the 1584avs..

I guess I should have stated that I went with the barrel grip. I've got about average sized hands (glove size - large) and find I have better control. This will be a personal preference.

Gary Keedwell
07-13-2007, 6:50 PM
I still remember the day 14 years ago when I bought my 1582 VS. I spent about 2 hours trying to decide if I wanted the barrel or the D- handle. Two salesmen ...one like one and one liked the other. Very heated discussion. I finally walked out with the barrel. It still feels and works great.;)

Gary K.

Bob Feeser
07-13-2007, 7:07 PM
Barrel grip would have been my choice, had I known when I bought it. I bought the top handle. Then I noticed Norm on NYW using the barrel grip, and it got me to thinking. Maybe their is a reason why he chose that one. So I took my top handle, and tried to ignore it, by wrapping my hand around the barrel, spreading my pinky around the rear leg of the top handle, thereby imitating barrel grip use, and I noticed that the accuracy improved. Something to do with the physics. I wouldn't trash my top handle, and get a barrel grip though. For normal cuts, often guided by a straight edge, the top handle works fine. For the critical, follow a custom line type of application, I wrap my hand around the barrel, for the added accuracy.
I too had an old Sears jigsaw, and groaned every time I had to use it. When I got the Bosch, it was like a second coming. I couldn't believe that Sears could put out something that vibrated so bad, it was almost dangerous, let alone deafening.
One other note is that mine has the steel shoe, which was replaced by the aluminum shoe. Some of the reviewers felt that the steel shoe model was prone to bending when you dropped it. Dropped it:eek: ??? I didn't plan on dropping it. Even when I use it on a ladder, I let it down to the ground, by tethering the cord, until it softly touches the ground. I also thought if I did drop it, I could hopefully bend it back into shape. It is still perfectly straight though.
I'm running out of Bosch jig saw relevant facts. Next tool. :)

Larry Nall
07-14-2007, 11:28 PM
It's amazing but I don't recall woodworkers having an absolutely uniform opinion on anything. However, they are right. I've gone through a couple of Craftsman. They don't compare to the Bosch..

Bob Childress
07-15-2007, 8:07 AM
Can I nominate this thread for the "Least Contentious Thread of the Year" award? :)

Craig Feuerzeig
07-15-2007, 9:58 AM
I switched to the Dewalt a few years ago, because they came out with a plastic "foot" that covers the base...after years of wrapping it new masking tape before each cut.

I should mention that as a custom installer...90 percent of my cuts were on high end finished goods. I still use bosch blades, mostly the 101BR ( R for reverse...down cutting...chip-out on the bottom, rather than the top ;) ).

Randal Stevenson
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Can I nominate this thread for the "Least Contentious Thread of the Year" award? :)

Oh so NOW your trying to start some Contention. :p :D

Pete Bradley
07-15-2007, 11:26 AM
If you're buying new, I'll add to the chorus for Bosch, but I'll add another option. If you can find one of the old metal-bodied Craftsman saws from the 60s, they're very good, come up a lot used, and typically less than $20.

The only thing that typically goes wrong is someone drops it and bends the foot. This is difficult to get back to perfectly flat. These saws predate "double insulated" so it's especially important to replace the cord if it's not in good condition.

Pete

Allen Bookout
07-15-2007, 11:41 AM
If you're buying new, I'll add to the chorus for Bosch, but I'll add another option. If you can find one of the old metal-bodied Craftsman saws from the 60s, they're very good, come up a lot used, and typically less than $20.

I have both of the above and agree. If you are on the cheap until you can afford better go with the older Craftsman. If you are going for the best for the money go with the Bosch as it is a much better procuct.