PDA

View Full Version : Color Filling?

Anthony Welch
07-12-2007, 7:04 AM
Painting and sanding are my two pet-peeves in woodworking. I hate doing it as it rarely turns out like I like it. So I've never bothered to learn exactly what the difference is between latex, enamel, or acrylic paints are and what each will do.

More to the point.... For each of the substrates that are engraved, what is best to "color-fill" with do I neccessarily need to purchase the color fill from Laserbits, or the "Laser Dark" product. I do plan on doing some experimentation myself. I have read that boot polish is used to darken somethings (I have a couple of cans from when I was in the Army). I also have some Acrylic Paint(Wal-Mart craft stuff) I got to do some craft projects for my kids and "fast drying enamel" (also from the craft isle).

Thanks!:)

Mike Null
07-12-2007, 7:39 AM
I can't think of any color-fill application for latex. Enamels, both acrylic and oil based will work though acrylic is easier and won't attack plastics. For wood you can use nearly anything but be sure you clear coat the surface to be color-filled before color-filling or you may get some bleeding into the grain.

The things I use are acrylic enamel, craft paints from Michael's and Krylon spray. Don't under estimate the little craft bottles as they work perfectly well and last a long time. They're also inexpensive.

I use liquid shoe polish for dark woods like walnut or for bubinga pen boxes where I know they won't bleed. Some like the black Turtle wax; I am not among them.

Jim Watkins
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Mike,
On wood, you said to clear coat it before the color fill. Several questions:
1. coat with a polyurethene? Can it be the high gloss?
1. do you coat before or after the engraving? I am assuming your advice to mean after.

Thanks

Mike Null
07-12-2007, 1:21 PM
Jim

Yes I was talking about a clear coat (poly, lacquer, shellac) that will seal the engraved area (after engraving) so the the color-fill doesn't penetrate the grain on the wood and bleed through beyond the engraved area.

Jim Watkins
07-12-2007, 9:32 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Mike...

Bill Cunningham
07-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Jim

Yes I was talking about a clear coat (poly, lacquer, shellac) that will seal the engraved area (after engraving) so the the color-fill doesn't penetrate the grain on the wood and bleed through beyond the engraved area.

Don't forget to seal the wood 'before' you engrave as well, or depending on the grain, you will never get the stains out. Oak with it's deep grain being the worst offender.. With oak, I use at least three coats of rattlecan laquer to fill the grain before lasering, and if your not engraving though a mask, a little windex, or a good cleaner/polish will remove any surface crud..Raw wood will always stain from the smoke and oil

Mike Null
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
You're right. I buy pre-finished plaques etc. and forgot to mention it.