PDA

View Full Version : Makita Compressors

Ken Frohnert
07-12-2007, 6:31 AM
Okay, I need a compressor for finish nailers. I have been doing a lot of reading it seems like the Thomas compressors are great but they are some $$$. Maybe their worth it give that they seem to last for decades. However, the Makita's look very nice and got some good feedback on Amazon. I wanted a nice quiet compressor so I could run it in my shop. The Thomas and Makita are both supposed to be amoung the more quiet compressors. I was thinking about a 4-6 gallon size.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Jack Morrow
07-12-2007, 9:30 AM
I have a Makita MAC 5200, 3 HP, 5.2 gal. and 6.5CFM @ 90PSI (6.5CFM@90PSI). I'm very pleased. I sold a larger compressor to free up space in my garage and have been very pleased. The smaller tank means that the compressor run more often, but, it's a very quick recovery. I've run all types of nailers and an impact wrench. I like the fact that it's more quiet than my previous compressor and it's never tripped the breaker where my previous compressor did all the time. The weak part? The wheeels, but they can be replaced if necessary. Overall, I'd give this Makita an "A".

That's a full report,

Jack

Rick Lizek
07-12-2007, 10:32 AM
A few years back when I was working for a dealer and doing a lot of compressor repair, I liked the Rolaire brand a lot. The Makita's were just out and were fine. I didn't think Thomas was anything special. We fixed mostly the cheap Thomas ones. I'm sure the more expensive ones are fine.
We also sold and serviced Emglo. There's a lot more choices out there now. Oil
bath sump compressors are the quietest. Oilless are the noisiest but handy for guys who put them on tilted roofs where the oil bath type would be a problem. You might try buying locally as they should offer service. Saving a few bucks off the net can cost more sometimes. There's lots of good brands to choose from. Certainly more than the two you are looking at.

Todd Jensen
07-12-2007, 1:44 PM
I've had a few Dewalt/Emglos, and currently have 2 of them, a dual tank D55153 and the new smaller single tank D55141. Both have them have held up to some abuse and I like them. I don't have empirical evidence but I think they are quieter and lighter than their Makita equivalents. Like Rick said, their are really quite a few choices out there. I bought a no-name cheapo pancake compressor a number of years ago, used it for finish carpentry, spraying finish, driving air ratchets, etc. and the only thing that killed it was when it went flying out the back of my truck during some donuts. :) (Killed my rear canopy doors too). In the case of portable compressors, I don't think you can go too wrong if you get one with enough cfm, which won't be hard since you're only running finish guns. That being said, don't make the mistake I made and get that tiny Senco unless you're just using it to airbrush trinkets - it turned out to be absolutely worthless to me. I use the D55141 in the field, its light, quiet-ish, it'll keep up with my SFN40 hanging production doors(machine gun:rolleyes: ), and I've also used it to power my 1/2 impact wrench(I usually use the one in my garage for this, but the smaller one does work).

Steve Roxberg
07-12-2007, 5:02 PM
Ken,

I love my Makita MAC700. It is very, very quiet which is why I bought it. I've had one problem with one of the gauges breaking, but the part was only about $11 and the unit still worked.

I use it for running brad nailers, pinners, and a stapler and it works great.

Highly recommended.

Phil Thien
07-12-2007, 8:21 PM
Ken,

I love my Makita MAC700. It is very, very quiet which is why I bought it. I've had one problem with one of the gauges breaking, but the part was only about $11 and the unit still worked.

I use it for running brad nailers, pinners, and a stapler and it works great.

Highly recommended.

I've been thinking of buying one of those exact models, for pretty much the exact uses you site.

But, I would also like to use it for a small sprayer:
Critter Sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Spray-Products-22032-Siphon/dp/B00006FRPJ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5863652-3010530?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1184285919&sr=8-1)

Do you think it would work?

frank shic
07-12-2007, 8:44 PM
It will work but not very well. Spray finishers really need a larger capacity to ensure a consistent finish. You do not want to be constantly waiting around for the compressor to catch up while your finish is drying on you. I bought a HVLP conversion gun several years ago per Jim Becker's recommendations and it works alright but I have gotten marginal results with running it on my dinky 6 gallon porter cable air compressor - and it's LOUD as anything as well!

Steve Roxberg
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Paul,

I think it would work, the sprayer you link to needs 3 cfm at 90 psi, and the MAC700 produces 3.3 cfm at 90 psi.

The tank is small and does take a minute to recharge, but with the unit you are showing me I don't expect you plan to spray anything large.

If you are talking about small project, not dressers or large case work you would probably be fine.

I own a triple turbine dedicate HVLP unit and it's a pain to setup and use for small jobs. Say jewerly boxes, chess boards, woodturnings and such.

I may buy one of these units.

Curt Harms
07-13-2007, 9:11 AM
I've been thinking of buying one of those exact models, for pretty much the exact uses you site.

But, I would also like to use it for a small sprayer:
Critter Sprayer (http://www.amazon.com/Critter-Spray-Products-22032-Siphon/dp/B00006FRPJ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5863652-3010530?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1184285919&sr=8-1)

Do you think it would work?

I have a critter gun and a P-C as well. The critter gun doesn't use much air at all. When I first bought it I was running it with a jury-rigged tire inflator & 3 gal. air tank. Wanna talk about LOUD!?:eek:. I now have a Sears portable compressor, rated at 2.3-90psi 3.7-40
psi. It'll work with the P-C gun and maintain pressure but it runs continuously, certainly not a frequent-use setup. The portable compressor works great with the critter gun.

HTH

Curt