PDA

View Full Version : Cherry cabinet for gas cooktop with Chakte Kok (Red Heart) top

Dave MacArthur
07-12-2007, 5:05 AM
Hi,
Having succeeded in posting my first pics, I decided to post some pics of a project I did a few years ago. My house did not have gas, and I enjoy cooking with gas, so I built this cabinet/eating bar/cook center to house a propane tank and cooktop for inside the kitchen.

The piece is a bit dirty/scuffed, I should have cleaned it before the pics...

The base is made with cherry plywood, and I used locking miters for the corner joints for a clean look that would allow the nice flame pattern to "wrap around", with glue blocks/cleats inside for added strength. Also used biscuits, not needed with the locking miter, but I wanted to try it.

The doors are frame/panel with solid cherry, and the stiles have darked over the years--when built, all the panels and rail/stiles were well matched for color, so I've learned something about using the same board!

The top is 8/4 Chakte Kok (Red Heart) biscuit/glued up. When new, it was brilliant red/purple/orange swirled, but has aged to look like well-figured and dark cherry, which is ok with this piece but nowhere near as striking as when new. I finished the top with 7 coats of poly, wet sanded between, and final Johnson's Wax, the base is clear Watco.

This was my first effort at cabinetry; I like the design functionally still (that large drawer up top is fantastic to hold all your big/long cooking spoons etc!), but I would probably modify the drawer face to have some more design (though it needed the large top gap for the cooktop hanging down, so I matched that gap below), and perhaps simplify the rail/stile profile to a smoother and less "grease catching" profile... small corners of the ogee with edges capture a lot of dust/grease in kitchen cabinets, and IMO is not a very functional design for cleaning. But overall happy with it ;)

Jim Becker
07-12-2007, 7:17 AM
That's a real beauty, Dave! Nice work on the cabinet.

(I do have to mention, though, that I believe you must have the gas supply outside of your home, at least to the best of my knowledge.)

Dave MacArthur
07-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim, Thx!
it's just a normal propane tank as used for an outdoor barbecue--this is essentially just a nice looking barbecue, with a grill top that has been converted with the propane orifi. I have never read or heard anywhere that one can't have a propane tank stored inside--how would such a rule affect storage of blowtorches, etc. in a basement shop? The piece can be moved around, so it's not really a "fixture". I'll be interested, surprised, and bummed if there really is such a rule!

Todd Griffin
07-12-2007, 1:58 PM
There probably isn't a rule. BUT, I would check with your homeowner's insurance. I would guess that your insurance won't cover it and will probably tell you that you have to leave the tank outside due to the relief value on the cylinder. If the valve were to malfunction or someone improperly filled the cylinder, the propane would be released into your house...and lets hope that you aren't cooking, etc, when that happens.

Jim Becker
07-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Consider having a propane tank installed outside your home by a local concern with a run of copper line to your cooktop cabinet. My previous home was built in an "all electric" neighborhood. I could not fathom cooking on electric and I also had my mom's custom built gas range available. So after closing and being done with the contractor, I put in the line and had a tank installed. As far as I know...it's still there...about the only house in the whole neighborhood with gas cooking. :)

Al Willits
07-13-2007, 12:07 PM
If the relief valave on that tank fails, and they do, your in for a pretty big bang.
Nice set up though, but I'd put the tank outside also.

Al

Charles Jackson III
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
Very work on the cabinet.

Dave MacArthur
07-14-2007, 12:29 AM
Good words, folks, and thanks for the info! Originally I had intended on running a line outside, but never did. Just hadn't considered the risk, as it is something I was used to.

Pat Germain
07-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Very nice work, Dave.

I want to also mention that propane fuel nozzles are slightly different from natural gas nozzles. You are using propane nozzles on the cooktop, right? :)

Dave MacArthur
07-14-2007, 9:42 PM
Yep, and not all cooktops had an option to get the propane orifi/nozzles. That is one reason I went with Kitchen Aid. Thx Pat ;)

I had always assumed that if I turned the propane valve on the bottle fully off, I was safe. The overpressure deal I didn't consider.

Ted Jay
07-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Yep, and not all cooktops had an option to get the propane orifi/nozzles. That is one reason I went with Kitchen Aid. Thx Pat ;)

I had always assumed that if I turned the propane valve on the bottle fully off, I was safe. The overpressure deal I didn't consider.

Your problem now is, if you decide to run a line, it won't be portable anymore!

I hope that's a wooden floor you got there under that tile....:eek:

Randy Denby
07-15-2007, 12:28 AM
Your problem now is, if you decide to run a line, it won't be portable anymore!

I hope that's a wooden floor you got there under that tile....:eek:

Doh !!!

Are maybe a really long hose:D

I see the hazard....I also see people ( glad I aint a people) storing them in their shop or garage.:o Personally, Ive never thought about the pressure relief leaking......and I work with refrigerants, etc professionally. Glad ya'll brought this up.