PDA

View Full Version : DW735 planer and 14" Delta Band Saw gloat

Dave MacArthur
07-12-2007, 4:42 AM
Well I got home and fired up CraigsList and searched for "band saw" like I do every night hoping for a 17-19" steal deal, and there was a fellow selling off his woodshop super cheap. Jumped in the car, drove 30 min, and was the first guy there (saw the ad in the first 10 min after posting he said). While I was there, 4 more guys showed up wanting what I bought plus his other stuff (6" jointer, Griz radial drill press, Delta contractor saw, 100$ each!). Luckily, my recent experience of getting something I bought sold out from under me by a subsequent higher bidder, caused me to pay the cash and start moving it to my truck... while doing so, the other guys showed up and indeed tried to outbid me for by several hundred for the goodies.

I bought a Delta 14" open base bandsaw with 3/4 HP motor (28-276) for $100. They are $250 on Amazon today, $429 at HD. I got 2 blades and spare tires, and the saw is less than a year old, perfect condition.

While there, I also bought a DW 735 13" planer on a really well made mobile stand, for $175. Again, a 2006 tool in perfect shape... ermm, I already HAVE one of these, but just couldn't pass up the deal LOL! Now I have to sell it off on CL myself, but might keep the stand.

And of course, he had a Rockler router table (mobile stand) with a fence, and the Rockler router lift. Also came with the basic Incra dovetail jig/fence for the router... got that for $100. Okay okay, I already have a router table also, in the end of a TS extension, but I could see smoke rising from the table the deal was so hot, and I was concerned for his safety...

Of course, because of the "package" deal, I got 10 Rockler bar clamps, 5 foot version or so, for another 25$. So, $400 all said. Selling the DW735 for $400, should end up as a freebie 14" bandsaw.

I will continue looking for a 17-19" bandsaw, and will probably buy the Grizzly or ShopFox as soon as they announce the new upgrades in a few weeks, but at least now I have a bandsaw in the shop to get making toy trains for my boys, and maybe something to keep a scroll blade on ;)

BTW, this fellow is selling a 2HP Oneida Dust Gorilla with 5" metal ducting (40'), several Y's and maybe 4 blast gates, mag switch, etc., for $1000 if any Phoenicians are interested and have the room...

Now to try adding my first pics... You can also see my use of a HF shop crane to unload stuff from the truck, and just roll it right into the shop where you want it.

Charles Jackson III
07-12-2007, 5:36 PM
Very nice bandsaw and planer I hope u enjoy them.

Dave MacArthur
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Thx, mostly just an excuse to try posting some pics here, and show the use of shop crane for mobilizing stuff, which comes up here a lot ;) I've already made use of both them and my jointer today, building a scaled up "wooden train" for my boys out of 2x4 chunks. The bandsaw seemed to work well, and if truth be told, this 14" is probably all I "need" for quite some time. But I won't let that stop me;)

Charles Jackson III
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Dave how u like that Delta bandsaw I may get one.

Dave MacArthur
07-14-2007, 12:33 AM
So far so good; I know not to expect super power with 3/4, but for cutting 2x4 and 2x6 stock on edge (resaw style) into car-shapes, it has been totally fine and accurate. That sort of thing doesn't leave you wanting more speed usually, since it's just a careful one-off.

That being said, I really don't have enough recent experience to have a very valid opinion except for light scroll work, and I think almost any decent tracking saw would be fine for that. But I'm certainly not dissappointed with it.

Charles Jackson III
07-17-2007, 9:11 AM
Well I am looking at one for curve cutting, Amazon has them right now for $250.00 + $149 shipping charge.

glenn bradley
07-17-2007, 9:28 AM
Dave, I'm surprised by the lack of enthusiasm. . . you got some KILLER deals. Every now and then one of us gets to be the guy who sees the deal or gets to the sight in time to be the guy who got the deal instead of the guy that hears about it. Glad it was a Creeker ;-)

Charles Jackson III
07-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Me to Glenn!

Don Bullock
07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Fantastic Dave!!! I remember your post when someone else bought a tool "right out from uneder you." You got a super buy on two great tools. I used that DW planer in a class I took at WoodCraft recently. I thought it does a great job.

Chris Kalkowski
07-18-2007, 2:47 PM
I saw your ad on craigslist - I am in the market for one. I know you aren't greedy, but I am going to wait for the DW734 to go down on Amazon or for wait another.

Good luck though.

Dave MacArthur
07-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Chris, the price could come down for a creeker ;) See my PM.
Charles, they really get you on the shipping when it's a good sale hey?
Glenn, the "gloat" is always fun, but I'll need to post some pictures of something actually BUILT with the bandsaw to get folks excited lol ;) So far I have a "Percy the Train" about 8" long, my boys love it but not sure it qualifies for Creeker Enthusiasm.

Chris Kalkowski
07-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Dave,

You got mail........ I may wait - more of a toy at the moment. Still justifying the last two.:D

Charles Jackson III
07-20-2007, 8:47 PM
Ya they do Dave, maybe I need a new dealer.