PDA

View Full Version : Resizing images for Dummies

Scott Shepherd
07-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I've seen quite a few people having problems with getting images small enough to use on the attachments here and I thought I would share a tool I've been using for a couple of years now. Best of all, it's free.

It's called Image Resizer and it contains no spyware and it doesn't do anything crazy.

Here's the link :

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Scroll down, look on the right hand side for something called Image Resizer. It's a small file and downloads quickly.

Download it and click on it once it's downloaded and it will install. Once installed, you can right click on any image and you'll see "Resize Image" on the menu now. Click that and you get options for the size. The 800 size almost always comes in under 100K which is the limit here. It makes a copy and names it something other than the original name (it adds "small", "medium", or "large" to the original file name).

It's a wonderful tool which I use all the time to upload photos online.

Give it a try, I think you'll like it. It comes from the Microsoft website, so it's clean and free from virus issues. I've used it for a couple of years now with nothing but great results.

Anthony Welch
07-12-2007, 6:00 AM
Thanks Scott!

Not that I try to post alot of pics now, I may do so now w/o worrying if it'll fit and how to to get it to fit.:D

Judith Halliday
07-12-2007, 9:55 AM
I bow down to those with this type of wisdom who are willing to share.

Many thanks,

Judy

Don Wurscher
07-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Here is another FREEBIE, it has a lot of capability, takes a little getting use.

http://www.faststone.org/

DLW

Randy Klein
07-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm not sure I have anything special, but running XP, I just right click on the image and there is an option to resize images...

Judith Halliday
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure I have anything special, but running XP, I just right click on the image and there is an option to resize images...

What are you getting your PhD in? Mine is Industrial/Organizational Psychology.

Have a sister at Kelly AFB and my son is in Iraq (Army).

Never knew that option existed in XP.

Thanks for the tips.

Judy

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2007, 11:30 AM
Randy, you might already have the "Power Toys" installed on XP, which is exactly where that comes from. Instead of installing an entire pack, this is just one little part of it which gives the exact feature you describe- right click any image and it's there.