PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk Materials

Scott Greaves
01-17-2004, 2:53 PM
Hi Everybody!

These are just some things I've been thinking of since Keith came up with this idea.

We want to give our servicemen great pens to convey our appreciation for them. If these go to Iraq, that is a hot, dry, sandy place that could be hard on a pen. I would suggest using a durable pen kit, maybe a Titanium coated one, or chrome. I personally think that the Black Titanium from Berea would be perfect!

Use wood that is stable, and it should be dry. Wood like Snakewood and Ebony have a tendancy to crack when subjected to temperature and humidity changes. I like the idea of using American hardwoods. Durable materials like some of the acrylics and Corian are very stable.

What else would be a consideration?

Scott.

Chris Johnson
01-17-2004, 4:02 PM
Hey Scott, I just joined on your recommendation, and I wondered if this is a "wood only" effort, or can we use other materials. I would think that some synthetics would hold up better than some temperature sensitive woods.

Hi Everybody!

These are just some things I've been thinking of since Keith came up with this idea.

We want to give our servicemen great pens to convey our appreciation for them. If these go to Iraq, that is a hot, dry, sandy place that could be hard on a pen. I would suggest using a durable pen kit, maybe a Titanium coated one, or chrome. I personally think that the Black Titanium from Berea would be perfect!

Use wood that is stable, and it should be dry. Wood like Snakewood and Ebony have a tendancy to crack when subjected to temperature and humidity changes. I like the idea of using American hardwoods. Durable materials like some of the acrylics and Corian are very stable.

What else would be a consideration?

Scott.

Ken Salisbury
01-17-2004, 6:23 PM
Hey Scott, I just joined on your recommendation, and I wondered if this is a "wood only" effort, or can we use other materials. I would think that some synthetics would hold up better than some temperature sensitive woods.

Program is not limited to wood pens - Corian and other synthetics are more than welcome they are very durable- I plan a much of Corian ones along with wooden ones.

Keith Starosta
01-17-2004, 6:27 PM
Hey Digger! Welcome aboard.

I can pretty much guarentee that Keith and Ken will tell you that whatever material is suitable for turning a pen can be used. I wish I was a turner. I'll be donating money and stock for this project.

An awesome idea!!!!

Keith

Chris Johnson
01-18-2004, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome, and it looks like a great group!

I have blanks, but I am low on funds and kits. I am trying to help Dave Bonde come up with materials so that his school can make about 100 pens, so let me know if yu have any ideas.

Hey Digger! Welcome aboard.

I can pretty much guarentee that Keith and Ken will tell you that whatever material is suitable for turning a pen can be used. I wish I was a turner. I'll be donating money and stock for this project.

An awesome idea!!!!

Keith

Keith Outten
01-18-2004, 7:08 PM
This week it is my goal to locate a few donors who are willing to fund the first bulk purchase of pen kits. Ken Salisbury is in charge of finding us the very best price on quality kits and will have the information for me no later than Tuesday I hope.

In time there will be plenty of donors who will be willing to provide the necessary financial support for the Freedom Pen project.