PDA

View Full Version : Hook & loop failing to hold on disc sander

Tom Banwell
07-11-2007, 7:56 PM
I own a Makita 5" disc sander model BO5021 which uses hook & loop for holding on the discs. Lately the discs go flying off for no apparent reason, long before the disc is worn out. I'm guessing that the hooks which are on the sander itself are failing, and I need to replace that pad. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks, Tom

Mike Henderson
07-11-2007, 7:58 PM
Yep, that happens. You need to replace the pad on the sander. I buy two pads at a time so I have a spare when the sandpaper fails to stick any more.

Mike

David DeCristoforo
07-11-2007, 8:25 PM
This is common. I have had H&L sanders from every manufacturer under the sun (at least it seems that way...) and every one has the same "problem". The "hooks" break off after a while and you have to get a new pad. It's like the ink in those "desk jet" printers. The total "cost of ownership" does not stop with the purchase. Do I sound a little bitter? If so, it's because this is one of my "pet peeves". I cannot believe that these pads cannot be made to last longer. I have the same issue with the pads on the PSA sanders. Every time you peel off a piece of paper, a little bit of the pad comes off too. No way to avoid this? Come on...convince me.....

PS...I have a PC 1/2 sheet sander that I bought in 1975 that still has the original pad.....hummm

Ron Jones near Indy
07-11-2007, 8:31 PM
The others are right. Pads don't last too long.:( It seems like some manufacturers want to sell new sanders--the pads are sometimes hard to find locally. I have used Klingspores for pads and paper.;)

Clyde McKinney
07-11-2007, 8:42 PM
Sometimes the sanding discs won't stick because of excess dust. Use a stiff brush to clean the sanding pad and also the sanding disc. Helps me.

Bob Michaels
07-11-2007, 9:16 PM
Just had the same problem with one of my Festool sanders. I'm told excess pressure will fry the plastic hook and loops. Replace the disc and you're good to go.

Steve Kohn
07-11-2007, 11:07 PM
I have replace the H&L pads on both Makita and Bosch ROS'ers. All I can suggest is that considering what you pay for shipping, but at least 2 pads at the same time.

If you use the sander much, you will need them.

Jim Becker
07-12-2007, 1:09 AM
The hook pads do expire, both from general wear and because of the effects of friction. If you are one to "press down" on your sander a lot, they will fail faster than if you let the machine do its work without a lot of downward pressure.

glenn bradley
07-12-2007, 2:14 AM
As Jim says, let the sander do the work. I had some discs that failed to stay stuck pretty quickly. I checked the pad, even wire brushed the disc backing to make it more gripable. I figured out that only my cheap discs had the problem. So even if you don't muscle down on your pad you can still have the problem. Leave it to me to find it ;-)

Chuck E Cobb
07-12-2007, 6:35 AM
The hook pads do expire, both from general wear and because of the effects of friction. If you are one to "press down" on your sander a lot, they will fail faster than if you let the machine do its work without a lot of downward pressure.

and if you let the shop idiot use it make sure he puts sandpaper on it :rolleyes: ... he found out it don't work to well all by it self. A ashame too, it was a new sander.

Chuck

John Gregory
07-12-2007, 11:37 AM
and if you let the shop idiot use it make sure he puts sandpaper on it :rolleyes: ... he found out it don't work to well all by it self. A ashame too, it was a new sander.

Chuck

Chuck, I discovered the same thing once. And dust collection was not a problem :D

David DeCristoforo
07-12-2007, 12:56 PM
and if you let the shop idiot use it make sure he puts sandpaper on it :rolleyes: ...
Chuck

This is about as close as I have ever come to dying of laughter...ROFL!!!!!

Bert Johansen
07-12-2007, 5:49 PM
I bought a new Porter Cable 5" sander and used it for about 5 years when the thrust bearing failed. I stuffed it in a drawer. During that time I never had to replace the H&L pad.

Then I purchased the Rigid 5" (which is definitely an upgrade in many respects) and the H&L pad lasted maybe 6 months. I assume there are major differences in manufacturing that account for the differences. Anybody else have this experience?

David DeCristoforo
07-12-2007, 6:16 PM
"Anybody else have this experience?"

<RANT>I think everyone's having it, Bert. The quality of everything is going in the tank. Even the expensive stuff is, for the most part, getting worse every year. I have sanders and routers I bought in '75 that are still in use and I've never replaced even the switches or brushes. Some of this current stuff really makes you wonder. I recently had a small DeWalt plunger crap out because the switch broke. When I opened up the housing to get at the switch I discovered that it's hard wired in!?!? Scheech! My old Virutex biscuit cutter (which I bought in '77) has a switch that can be taken apart and repaired or cleaned! Now what? We're supposed to throw the whole thing away because the switch puked? Or "send it in" for repair at which point we're told that it's going to cost as much as a new one to fix it, if they will fix it at all? Gimmie a break.</RANT>

Larry Browning
07-12-2007, 6:45 PM
I have a Makita as well that the pad wore out on. I found a kit that allowed you to glue on just the new hooks part of the pad. It came with some PSA sandpaper that you were supposed to attach to a scrap piece of wood and run the sander on without paper to sand down the old loops and make the pad smooth. Then you just glue on the new loop sheet. which is about the thickness of a piece of sandpaper. It came with 2 loop sheets and I haven't had to use the 2nd one yet after over 2 years. I think I got it at Lowes and it cost about $8 complete with sandpaper and glue.

Fred Voorhees
07-12-2007, 7:23 PM
Tom, it is amazingly cooincidental that you should post this. I just the other day ordered two or three pads for that same sander that I have. I ordered to cushion type pads for sanding the edges of raised panels and also one pad that attaches right to the bottom of the sander itself. That particular one is the first that I have replaced, though I have used a couple of the cushion pads. I just got the call today that they are in at my local Makita parts and service facility.

Jerry Allen
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
I have a couple of sanders. One is a Ryobi that I bought a replacement hook pad for because it wore out. I only use this sander for cleaning up metal table tops. My other sander is a Ridgid which I use for wood working. I have used a Norton Hook & Sand Conversion Pad which fits both 5 and 8 hole 5". I added some double sided tape between the old pad and the new one just to make sure it would hold, although it might have stayed without it. So far so good.
They have them at Home Depot.

Andy Sheetz
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Howdy,

Last night I had to replace the hook & loop pad on my 5 inch sander. When I tighten the bolts down, the sander doesn't want to spin. It just sits there and hums. All I did was take off the old h & l pad and put on a new one. Reused the same bolts and now it seems like the bolts might be too long. I think the bolts are preventing the pad from spinning. Anyone have a similar experience and how did you deal with it? http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Andy Sheetz

Byron Trantham
07-17-2007, 1:12 PM
Howdy,

Last night I had to replace the hook & loop pad on my 5 inch sander. When I tighten the bolts down, the sander doesn't want to spin. It just sits there and hums. All I did was take off the old h & l pad and put on a new one. Reused the same bolts and now it seems like the bolts might be too long. I think the bolts are preventing the pad from spinning. Anyone have a similar experience and how did you deal with it? http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Andy Sheetz

Andy, can you turn the pad my hand? If not, then of course there is something wrong. Measure the depth of the recess for the bolt head - old vs new. Are they the same? When I replaced mine, I had a different problem, it spun but small bits of black rubber went all over the place. I figured out that a rubber skirt attached to the metal outer frame was rubbing on the edge of the new pad. I looked at the old one and there was a groove worn into it from the rubber skirt. The new pad did not have the groove. After about 10 minutes of spinning it stopped trowing rubber and has worked fine ever since.

Andy Sheetz
07-18-2007, 9:51 AM
Byron,

I downloaded a parts diagram for my sander from the Makita website last night. I was missing a triangular piece. When I took the pad off, the missing piece was stuck to the pad. Then the piece fell off without me noticing it. Found the piece and the pad went on just fine. Sander is working just fine now.

Thanks for your answer.

Andy Sheetz

Byron Trantham
07-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Byron,

I downloaded a parts diagram for my sander from the Makita website last night. I was missing a triangular piece. When I took the pad off, the missing piece was stuck to the pad. Then the piece fell off without me noticing it. Found the piece and the pad went on just fine. Sander is working just fine now.

Thanks for your answer.

Andy Sheetz

Don't just hate it when that happens?:D