PDA

View Full Version : Steel City 35623 10" TS

Jeffrey Schronce
07-11-2007, 6:38 PM
I noticed that the price is really dropping on the Steel City 35623 10" Right Tilt TS. The left tilt still seems to sell for around $1500, but the right tilt is selling at $1195 at a few places. Anyone have experience with the right tilt or left tilt series of this saw?

Thanks

Aaron Hamilton
07-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Jeff,
Are you not happy w/ your Jet? :)

Justin McCurdy
07-12-2007, 9:42 AM
Here is a review I did of the left tilt.

http://www.semww.org/wiki/doku.php/tool_reviews/steel_city_3hp_left_tilt_cabinet_saw

Paul Douglass
07-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Here is a review I did of the left tilt.

http://www.semww.org/wiki/doku.php/tool_reviews/steel_city_3hp_left_tilt_cabinet_saw

I have a left tilt and I agree with Justins review. Great saw, for the difference in price I would be very tempted to go ahead a get the right tilt.

Two items I add an the negative side to the review. 1 - Like most saws the miter gauge that comes with the saw is pretty much a throw away. I did have an extra Osborne Miter Gauge fence that I bolted to the SC miter gauge and it made it somewhat better.

2 - It is a little harder to get accessories for the SC because it is so new. I'm sure that will change in time.

Believe it is a great saw. I love mine.

Justin McCurdy
07-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I haven't had a chance to give the SC miter gauge a real go because I immediately took the fence off of it and bolted that to an INCRA.

I would agree about the accessories for the SC to an extent. I think that most everything that is not provided can be made. I would like to see some wooden, virgin zero clearance inserts and a splitter with dust collection attachments out of the top.

I am sure they will have a riving knife soon enough. Too bad for us 1st generations.

I think Steel City is supposed to reinstate their rebates soon on their tool line. (Within the next couple months)

Jeffrey Schronce
07-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Jeff,
Are you not happy w/ your Jet? :)

Ummm. If its ever delivered I will be. For some reason my orders shipping date was pushed back when everyone elses shipped. Current due date is 08/13/07. If it isn't here by then I must look to something else.

Jeffrey Schronce
07-12-2007, 11:21 PM
I think Steel City is supposed to reinstate their rebates soon on their tool line.

Any idea of when that might happen?

Lou Ortiz
07-12-2007, 11:39 PM
They've got a summer sale going on right now, so they may have discounted the right tilt a bit more. I've had mine for a little over a week and agree, it's a great saw.

Ryan Bess
07-13-2007, 9:28 AM
I was recently told by a sales manager at a high volume dealer of SteelCity that the RT tilt is "being phased out on the 10" model due to the high consumer demand for LT tilt". Don't know if this is a fact, just what a retailer had to say.....

Tom Hamilton
07-13-2007, 9:33 AM
Hi Jeff:

I bought my SCT left tilt in Feb. Justin's review sums up the product nicely. I've been very pleased with mine. I dropped the miter guage and broke the ball knob off the adjuster. Customer service send another one...no charge.

I too wish it had overhead just collection but have plans to make one if an after market version doesn't show up soon.

Enjoy!

Tom

Paul Douglass
07-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Jeff:

I bought my SCT left tilt in Feb. Justin's review sums up the product nicely. I've been very pleased with mine. I dropped the miter guage and broke the ball knob off the adjuster. Customer service send another one...no charge.

I too wish it had overhead just collection but have plans to make one if an after market version doesn't show up soon.

Enjoy!

Tom

I'd be interested in what you have in mind for the overhead dust collection. I am looking closely at the Shark guard. The builder already makes one for the SC, not sure if it fits all SC, if I read it correctly it's fot the hi-bred model. But the gentleman will work to make one for any model, I'm sure.

I'd also like to see ideas on attaching items to the fence. I sure hate to drill any holes in that great fence although as beefy as it is I'm sure it wouldn't hurt it. I'd like to attach some feather boards.

I'm making a zero clearance insert. I have found only one plce on the internet that carries the SC one and they want $33 plus shipping for it. Bit expensive for an insert, I'd say.

Tom Hamilton
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Hi Paul: This thread

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=30870

has a pic of the one I made. It is truly function over form. Lexan from the Depot, a couple of scrap 1x2s with a wide kerf cut in one, wing nut and you are in business.

If you would like more pics send me an email and I'll dig them out of the archives!

Best regards, Tom