PDA

View Full Version : I can breath a little easier (Gloat)

Paul Heely
07-11-2007, 4:56 PM
I finally got around to doing something about the air in the basement, err shop. We just finished my wife's craft room and she she's sensitive to the dust so every little bit helps, so took advantage of the Woodcraft free shipping and ordered a JDS air cleaner.

Only one small issue now, the thing is much larger than I envisioned and I only have one place I think I can make the ceiling mount work and keep it central to the shop. I have room above the access panel by the table saw and it will not be in the normal walking path, though in no case would my head hit it but it would be awfully low. If that does not work I'll put it on a stand, maybe the top of the clamp rack since I don't seem to use them much anymore. :D

And before anyone points out that I really should have a dust collector before and air filter, that's a gloat for next week when the 3HP Super Dust Gorilla gets here. If I understand the rules right no picture, no gloat, so it has to wait.

When I finalize the mounting, ceiling or stand, I'll post some more pictures.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2007, 6:33 PM
Congrats on the JDS unit. You are going to like it. It does make a big difference. Paul I got one from PSI. You will be amazed at how much dust it collects. Mine has a remote control for hours and speed. It can be turned on from 2 to 8 hrs or continuous. If I put it on for two hours I can sand and then leave. It shuts itself down. I really like it. I definitely have noticed there isn't as much dust lying around on top of things since I got it and the DC going. I am sure yours is much the same.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2007, 8:33 PM
Paul.....sounds like a gloat and a pre-emptive gloat! Double whammy! Congrats on both!

Steve Schlumpf
07-12-2007, 8:46 AM
Paul, congrats on your new air filter unit! Be sure to let us know how well it works once you get it up and running! Always looking for other ways to help control the dust issue!

Art Mulder
07-12-2007, 9:32 AM
Paul, I've seen a few shop photos where people mount it on the wall, and I've also seen some shops where air cleaners are mounted underneath centrally mounted benches. But I confess I have not read any formal studies that say which is best. I figure that as long as your air can circulate, it's going to do a good job.

Bobby Perry
07-12-2007, 9:46 AM
I really don't think that shop has been used. Do you see any shavings anywhere?.:confused: Its just too darn clean.:D

Harvey M. Taylor
07-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Doesnt look like a shop floor to me. More like a giant dinner plate you can eat out of. Git it dirty. Seriously, nice shop. Max

Paul Heely
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
My wife can't figure out how I keep the shop so clean and my office so messy. :rolleyes:

I do use it though, have posted the pictures to prove it :D. If I don't keep it clean it gets so out of control that I can't find or do anything and then lose a day getting things straightened back out.

glenn bradley
07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Art beat me to it; wall mounting is fine as well. There are some folks who prefer it closer to the ground under the pretense that the dust falls and is more dense there. Mine is hanging from above and helps quite a bit.

Ian Welford
07-12-2007, 5:11 PM
Just a quickie- Use an "airhelmet" or filtered face mask when you vacuum or change the filters or you get the full benefit of all that saved dust when you clean the damn thing!. I've got celing mounted unit over here in UK and works well. I mounted it over the chip extractor so any fine dust which gets through the needle felt bag gets picked up "at source" as it were. Like the shop- might have to have mine extended as running out of working space.

Henry Cavanaugh
07-12-2007, 6:00 PM
Some will say that the JDS unit is more important than DC. Its the very fine stuff in your lungs not the chips on the floor that are most harmful.

Paul Heely
07-12-2007, 6:31 PM
Just a quickie- Use an "airhelmet" or filtered face mask when you vacuum or change the filters or you get the full benefit of all that saved dust when you clean the damn thing!. I've got celing mounted unit over here in UK and works well. I mounted it over the chip extractor so any fine dust which gets through the needle felt bag gets picked up "at source" as it were. Like the shop- might have to have mine extended as running out of working space.

That's a good point and not something that I had thought of. An air helmet is on my wish list, for now I'm getting by with a face shield and cartridge respirator or dust mask.