PDA

View Full Version : Fairies on Canvas

Belinda Barfield
07-11-2007, 4:18 PM
Took another break from cutting acrylic to make a tote bag for a friend. Nothing fancy like you guys have been posting lately with the great wow factor.:o

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/Lasermarkedcanvas001-1.jpg

Did this one the other day. I just thought the tile was interesting.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/ShellintheSurf2005.jpg

Mike Null
07-11-2007, 4:21 PM
Nice work. What kind of power/speed did you use for the canvas?

Phyllis Meyer
07-11-2007, 4:24 PM
Belinda,

These do have the Wow factor!! They are beautiful! Great job!

Phyllis

Belinda Barfield
07-11-2007, 4:34 PM
Nice work. What kind of power/speed did you use for the canvas?

According to my Job Report:D, which I am really struggling to remember to do on every job:(, the speed was 100, power 35, PPI 400 with LaserPro 60w. I also made a note that I need to run a test with an increase in power to 40 in hopes of a little darker burn.

Frank Corker
07-11-2007, 6:49 PM
The tote bag is bloody amazing! What do you mean no wow factor? Great job. Please don't be offended by what I say next, it is intended as a constructive critism which I believe we all want. The granite is nice but your Conche shell I suspect has been engraved with a positive/negative issue. See this copy of your image in negative and you will see what I mean.

Dan Starr
07-11-2007, 8:52 PM
They are very nice, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of lasering textiles. I love the effect on jeans. None of the jeans in my house have been safe from expirimentation.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 7:50 AM
The tote bag is bloody amazing! What do you mean no wow factor? Great job. Please don't be offended by what I say next, it is intended as a constructive critism which I believe we all want. The granite is nice but your Conche shell I suspect has been engraved with a positive/negative issue. See this copy of your image in negative and you will see what I mean.

Not offended at all, criticism welcome! You are correct. For some strange reason I couldn't get the clip art file to go negative. I just did the piece actually to see what effect I could achieve with the green marble. It had been sitting around the showroom for about five years. You know I always appreciate your input!

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 8:04 AM
They are very nice, and I'm glad to see I'm not the only fan of lasering textiles. I love the effect on jeans. None of the jeans in my house have been safe from expirimentation.

Dan,

This is my first attempt on denim. Thoughts/suggestions/criticisms welcome from any and all. Thanks!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z63/Svannahsue/MY.NOAVIIGlassracks010.jpg

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 8:12 AM
Frank,

So, how was the trip? I don't recall seeing a thread detailing all of your adventures. Did I miss it somehow?

Judith Halliday
07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Hi Belinda,

As another women on these predominantly male boards, I would like to say: WOW

Nice work.

I've been experimenting as well. Having lots of success on wood.

Many thanks,

Judy

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks Judith. I don't do a lot of wood currently, but need to practice some. I may be calling on you for advice.:)

Garry McKinney
07-12-2007, 1:32 PM
Personally I think the work is all amazing !

Garry

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 2:22 PM
Thanks Garry! I think the canvas bag is good work, but it is nice to hear it from others. :)

Judith Halliday
07-12-2007, 7:16 PM
Thanks Judith. I don't do a lot of wood currently, but need to practice some. I may be calling on you for advice.:)

Stop by and see me. I have a shop on River street across from Spankies. 10 to 8 everyday. This Monday I need to take my baby to the vet.

Judy

912-484-0868

Savannah area code.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 8:01 PM
I know exactly where you are, and have visited your booth before. Small world!

Larry Bratton
07-12-2007, 8:42 PM
Belinda:
Niceeee work!! I like the tote bag. If my roomate sees it I might have to make one!

Frank Corker
07-12-2007, 8:44 PM
Belinda - the denim work is excellent! Nothing more I can say on that one. I did a few on denim and on some unfortunately I went a little too much on the burn... ah well always need oil rags!

Trip went EXTREMELY well I have a nice tan, a much better golf swing and I'm very chilled out. I did my best to get in here there and everywhere, especially in Lowes - jeepers you guys don't realise how lucky you are on your prices for raw materials. Just about everything was over half the price we pay here. Some really interesting tools I hadn't seen before but alas, I only had two cases and one of them had golf clubs in them.

I'm 50 years old now (devilishly handsome and still look like a young man) and my big return home present for myself was a 'Micro Mosquito' indoor flying helicopter which I got in Radio Shack! I tell you the guy still has a young boy inside. Honestly you have to go and check one of these things out, they are a hoot, loads of fun and very annoying for everyone other than ME (Me me me me me).

I also travelled to St Augustine on the coast there, one laser engraver has certainly got himself a good little business there, I went in about 30 shops and their stuff was in all of them! Talk about nailing the whole market. Nicely done stuff - vectored mainly - a little like the Christmas ornaments that we all post. They have been done on very thin ply, about 1/8th thickness, but you can tell they used bought vector files because there was nothing too original in there.

But if you are ever down that way, the town is worth the visit, it has the oldest school house in the US - a very ramshackle wooden hut which is a credit to the builders seeing as it's still there. It was built somewhere around the late 1700's (I'm sure you will be more up to date with American dates) and everyone seemed to be walking around in awe of the place due to the ages of some of the buildings. It seemed a little strange to me because there are some houses near where I live which were built in the late 1500's and many more buildings much earlier than that. Still vey nice to visit St Augustine though I did enjoy it.

If I were to take anything back that I could.... it probably would have been one or two of your golf courses. I loved them.

Belinda Barfield
07-13-2007, 9:05 AM
Frank,

Glad to know you had a good time, and good experiences. I really enjoy visiting St. Augustine. I haven't visited in about two years and need to get back down there, it's only about a 2.5 hour drive for us. Hope you got to visit Charleston, or at least the golf course at Kiawah Island.

Funny how we are so in awe of our "young" buildings. Several years ago we met a yacht captain and his wife, he was from Denmark she was from Wales. My honey loves Savannah and offered to play tour guide so they could see our "old" buildings, some over 300 years or so. The wife just laughed and said, "You do understand that I am from Wales. The castle in our village is over 900 years old." Certainly put us in our place!