PDA

View Full Version : Sushi Boxes & glue type help?

Jude Kingery
07-11-2007, 2:54 PM
Hello, thought someone might have some good advice. A friend wants me to make some sushi boxes, no problem, easy to do and glue up. I do a lot of glue-ups on lathe work, but my question has to do with what kind of glue do I use with wood that might become wet or have rice in it. I usually use Tite-bond with no problems, but I've not done food related items before and I'd think after repeated exposure to something wet it's a risk of the joints coming apart? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I figure people glue cutting boards together and those don't seem to come apart! Thank you in advance! Jude

nick brigg
07-11-2007, 3:18 PM
while i was in school, we made butter trays with splines, we used polyurethane glue, i made a cutting board using white glue(or PVA glue) and sure enough the laminations came apart. the poly is still together. now im no expert in what is food safe and what is not, im just citing from experience.

Jess Wetherhold
07-11-2007, 3:20 PM
I would stick with your Tite-bond II or III. Sushi is not wet so I don't there shouldn't be a problem. Tell your friend not to leave them in the sink or dishwash them. I assume that you are using food safe finish as well?

Jude Kingery
07-11-2007, 3:25 PM
Hey Nick & Jess,

Thank you for your responses, guys! Yep, Titebond'll work then? Sounds good. I was going to finish the inside just with mineral oil. Have read it's food safe and apparently no allergic reactions for people who might get into a spot of trouble with Walnut oil? Thanks again!

Jude

nick brigg
07-11-2007, 3:35 PM
yep mineral oil is the way to go, and i wouldnt use walnut for anything involving food.

Kyle Stiefel
07-11-2007, 3:39 PM
while i was in school, we made butter trays with splines, we used polyurethane glue, i made a cutting board using white glue(or PVA glue) and sure enough the laminations came apart. the poly is still together. now im no expert in what is food safe and what is not, im just citing from experience.

Nick,

I am curious about your board coming apart. Had it been in the dishwasher? I am also curious now what type of glue others have used for their cutting boards.

Please let me know.

nick brigg
07-11-2007, 4:33 PM
Nick,

I am curious about your board coming apart. Had it been in the dishwasher? I am also curious now what type of glue others have used for their cutting boards.

Please let me know.

nope, just under running water from the skin over time. as for other glues, ive only used poly. PVA glue is water based and i assume thats why the laminations weakened.

Dan Drager
07-11-2007, 6:30 PM
You bet. Titebond III and mineral oil is the way to go. I have made dozens of cutting boards using that combination and have never had one come apart. Even the one my Sister-in-law soaks to get clean.

Jim Becker
07-12-2007, 1:21 AM
Titebond III is what I would use.

Bento boxes are often finished in black lacquer or something similar, but mineral oil is certainly acceptable and renewable. 10:1 with hot paraffin is a good mixture if you want a little nicer surface.

Paul Douglass
07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Don't know about the glue but please post some pictures when you have the boxes built. I have a son and daughter that are sushi fans, be a good little gift to make for them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-12-2007, 3:16 PM
I'd use titebond III because it's rated for water exposure. However, I recently had a cutting board fall apart that I made when I was in 7th grade and all I had was white glue then.

Hal Flynt
07-12-2007, 3:49 PM
Sushi Box, fish glue of course.

Sorry I just had to:D

Ian Welford
07-12-2007, 5:36 PM
Haven't used titbond 3 yet got a good mention recnetly in FWW I recall. If your joints are less than perfect then "cascamite ( urea formaldehyde powder glue) works really well. Sets rock hard and fills small gaps well.

My uncle has made 3 dingies and 2 two man racing yachts with it and they're all still afloat! So its certainly water proof. Down side is it's a pain to mix up but you get 2 hours of open time to use it!