PDA

View Full Version : Water based finish on redoak floor?

Dick Sylvan
07-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I am putting down oak flooring in my workshop(FKA garage) and would like to use a water-based finish because I think it would be faster than using oil based. Any comments. thoughts or suggestions woud be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S.- I am also thinking about insulating the current bare/ open walls with polyicynene foam. Any experience with this?

Steve Schoene
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Some of the high end water borne finishes (from Bona for example) have good reputations and would indeed be faster.

Foam insulation is the way to go. Much more effective for a given R value because of the dramatic drop in air infiltration. More expensive per R, but I think often worth it.

Greg Funk
07-11-2007, 1:07 PM
I've installed red oak flooring in 3 houses in the last 15 years all finished with Bona water based finishes. They are extremely durable. The color is lighter than an oil finish but we liked that. The Bona finish was a two part finish that was mixed and then had to be used within 24 hrs. I don't know how much faster it is as we still had to be out of the house for a couple of days as I recall.

Greg

jim mckee
07-11-2007, 1:16 PM
I use Hydrocoat resisthane plus, works great.
jim

James Evans
07-11-2007, 1:36 PM
I have used the varathane products on oak and maple floors, both water based and oil. I have noticed that the water based does not hold up well. The oil has done awsome though.

Roland Chung
07-11-2007, 1:42 PM
I also use Hydrocote Resisthane, but on cabinets. If you are able to find a local dealer, check into their waterbased "polyurethane". I think that they have products that they recommend for floor applications. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.

Jack Morrow
07-11-2007, 2:02 PM
I used Bona Mega on my office red oak floors that I installed 10 year ago. They still look great and they get a good workout.

Good luck,

Jack

Larry Nall
07-11-2007, 10:27 PM
My experience was exactly the opposite of Gregs' I applied water based Varthane. It added nothing at all to the wood. I sanded it off and went with oil based Varthane. It gave the red oak the golden richness I was looking for. Oil durability is great. Can't speak to the durability but sanding it off wasn't a lot of fun.

Richard Blaine
07-12-2007, 2:00 AM
I did a front door threshold with Varathane waterbased, and it has held up for 4 years -- with the exception of where the puppy chewed a couple of marks. I guess I really do need to fix that spot.

Minh Nguyen
07-12-2007, 3:02 AM
Wow - a question that I can finally answer.

I have been doing a lot of research into finishing my red oak hardwood floor. From all my research, Bona Traffic is considered one of the best poly out there. The problem is the Bona Traffic is considered a "professional" product, so it might be difficult to find a place that will sell it to a non-contractor. Actually - one of my local place will only sell it to a floor finish contractor - not just any contractor. Luckily - you can order it from http://www.floormechanics.com/products.asp?cat=16

I would strongly recommend you go to Bona's site and read up on the application process for Traffic.

Minh

Jim Becker
07-12-2007, 3:56 AM
My experience was exactly the opposite of Gregs' I applied water based Varthane. It added nothing at all to the wood. I sanded it off and went with oil based Varthane. It gave the red oak the golden richness I was looking for.

This is more or less the expected behavior with a water borne product, so many folks will dye the wood or add a dye to the finish to impart the amber color. If "grain pop" is also desired, an application of oil (typically BLO) allowed to cure and sealed with de-waxed shellac will allow use of the easier to apply water borne finish while not sacrificing the color one might want.

Jack Morrow
07-12-2007, 9:07 AM
Wow - a question that I can finally answer.

I have been doing a lot of research into finishing my red oak hardwood floor. From all my research, Bona Traffic is considered one of the best poly out there. The problem is the Bona Traffic is considered a "professional" product, so it might be difficult to find a place that will sell it to a non-contractor. Actually - one of my local place will only sell it to a floor finish contractor - not just any contractor. Luckily - you can order it from http://www.floormechanics.com/products.asp?cat=16

I would strongly recommend you go to Bona's site and read up on the application process for Traffic.

Minh

I would agree that Bona Traffic is acknowledged to be the "best", but it's application is designed for a pro. If someone comes to SMC asking about floor covering products, they're probably not a pro.

I chose, used and endorse the Bona Mega. It was extremely easy to apply and gives a remarkably durable finish. It seems ideal for the novice or homeowner.

Perhaps if I were to go into business finishing floors in high traffic count malls, Bona Traffic would be the ticket.

I also suggest the use of Bona's 18" T-bar applicator using the "snowplow" method. I'm usually pathetic in applying finishes, but this was my best effort to date.

But I could be wrong,

Jack

Sam Shank
07-12-2007, 1:06 PM
I love Bona Mega. I can't get it locally (has to be special ordered - can't plan that far ahead and what if I need one more?)

I used the water based Varathane you can get at Lowes on the last job. It was the downstairs of a rental that I did the upstairs of about 1 year ago. The upstairs looked brand new. Put 2 or 3 coats down (it's its own sealer), then disk with 120, 150, or 180 quickly, vac, tack, and 1 or 2 more coats (4 total). No buffing between coats unless you wait 24hrs or more. Goes down as easily if not easier than mega. And it's at least as durable from my standpoint. Plus you can walk into lowes and get it off the shelf.

Christof Grohs
07-13-2007, 1:01 AM
Without a doubt, if you can get your hands on a two component water borne do it. Also, if you can get your hands on a 2-comp than you should be able to get a quick drying oil-based sealer by the same manufacturer.

Bona system = quick dry sealer with two or three coats of Traffic.
Dura Seal system = 500 sealer + 2 or 3 coats of X-Terra

If you are feeling brave you could substitute shellac (sealcoat dewaxed) for the oil based sealer but I will tell you as a professional floor finisher Jack better be nimble and Jack better be quick to keep up with the rapid drying of the shellac. Either way, your Red Oak will look nice with two comp as long as you seal it with quick drying oil based sealer or shellac. The rest of the single-comp waterborne finishes I would steer clear of, with exception of Bona Mega which is still inferior to Traffic or X-Terra IMO. I use 2-comps exclusively on my floors but rarely will I seal with water...looks so pale, yuck!

The key to water borne finish application is to move quickly with no air moving about the house and break the floor into sections if need be, don't try to eat the whole thing at once. Satin sheen is very forgiving. Hope this helps a little.
-c