PDA

View Full Version : Typical

Jason Christenson
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Yesterday I realized that a co-worker of mine has a birthday coming up this Sunday. I remembered some jump drive kits that I bought a couple of years ago and decided it was time to finally finish one. I took the kids to the basement and they played while I turned, sanded and put one coat of finish on one of the drives. I told the kids it was time to head back upstairs and (of course) they said they weren't ready. I decided to give them a few more minutes of play time while I looked over the instructions and the hardware to see how the thing goes together. (If you're wondering, it's kind of like a pen kit.) That's when I made the frustrating discovery, all of the parts are there EXCEPT for the actual drive and the installation disc. After thinking about it for a few minutes I remembered that when I got the kits I took those parts out and put them in a safe place away from the shop. Now all I have to do is figure out where my "safe place" is. Yeesh.

Keith Burns
07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Now thats funny !!:D :D

Bonnie Campbell
07-11-2007, 12:04 PM
LOL I learned NEVER to put things in a 'safe' place so I wouldn't lose them. I'm STILL looking for my woodburning kit from 10 years ago..... I know it's here 'somewhere safe' :D

Don Orr
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
...I'm not the only one who does this:eek: :D ;) . I just found some 1500 & 2000 grit sandpaper I've been looking for for over 2 years! I have lots of stuff in "safe" places. I just hope when I find them I remember what they are for.;)

Hope you find it soon!

Bill Wyko
07-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I do that more than I'd like to admit. Sometimes the safe place is a little TOO safe.:cool:

Paul Heely
07-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I've learned to give the safe place stuff to LOML. I don't know how she does it but she always finds it when I need it, or tells me I never gave it to her :p

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2007, 12:51 PM
That is funny. I did the same thing with some clock parts I bought 3 yrs ago. I put them where I would remember. Well I hunted for several hours and just gave up. I ordered 3 more of those parts. When they came in I sat down at the bench to put them in. I looked up and guess what I found. The other 3 I thought I had lost.:mad: :mad: Sheeessshh I hate when I do that.

Mike Ramsey
07-11-2007, 2:00 PM
I've been looking for my cordless drill charger for 2 yrs...I found it Sunday
plugged into the wall in a spare bedroom behind some storage...Chucked
the drill in the trash about 2 weeks ago :( .

Mike Marmon
07-11-2007, 7:40 PM
I seem to spend a large amount of time searching for things I know I have put away. If anyone finds my Vari Grind attachment for the Wolverine system please let me know. Sometimes I think that I have shop gremlins, if only they would eat shavings and saw dust :D

Nancy Laird
07-11-2007, 7:43 PM
I know the feeling, too. We've been looking for the bits for the boring machine for weeks now. Ended up having to buy a new set!!:(

Nancy

Tim Malyszko
07-11-2007, 7:58 PM
I remembered some jump drive kits that I bought a couple of years ago and decided it was time to finally finish one

When you say jump drive, are you referring to the USB jump drives or something else. If they are the USB jump drives, I would love to make some of those since our family business is an engineering company and the techie guys would go bonkers over a turned jump drive. Where do you get them?

Thanks.

Paul Heely
07-11-2007, 8:11 PM
Penn State carries the kits.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2007, 8:35 PM
Been There....Done That..... Earned the t-shirt!

Tim Malyszko
07-12-2007, 7:57 AM
Penn State carries the kits.

Paul,

Thanks so much for the info. I found them and will be ordering a few in the future. I also saw their other turning projects. I really like the cigar punch keychain. I recently lost my fancy cigar cutter and this would make a great replacement.

Paul Heely
07-12-2007, 8:05 AM
Tim,
I'm glad those were what you were looking for. Please post some pics when you make them.

Jerry Pittman
07-12-2007, 9:13 AM
Been there, done that. I hope you're luckier than I am; I'm still looking for things I put away for 'safe keeping'. Some things may be gone for a while since we moved last year and I haven't found several things since then. And I pscked up my shop so I have no one else to blame.
Jerry

Kim Ford
07-12-2007, 1:29 PM
My problem isn't losing things it's trying to remembering what I lost so when I find it I will be aware that I was looking for it.

They say it is the first to go, I'm sure they are right I just can't remember what it is.

Skip Spaulding
07-12-2007, 5:31 PM
Jason, There is hope, I found $40.00 I hid in an old tool box, don't remember doing it but it was a nice surprise!

Kenneth Hertzog
07-12-2007, 5:38 PM
Jason
you don't need the disk if you are using XP. I have been using one for a couple of yrs now and never did buy the disk just the extension cable.
As for that safe place I caught the kids using my good estwing hammer to do machanic work on a car. Took it from them and put it in that safe place about 15+ yrs ago. Still haven't found it.
ken