PDA

View Full Version : polishing Granit

jason lambert
07-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Ok so I know this is not woodworking. But someone has to know. I put in granit counter tops a couple of years ago and my wife uses a wax based product to clean them. Over time they have gotten hazy. What do I remove the haze, can I repolish them? I don't want to use anything hat will sit in the pores or soak in and ruin it that is why I am asking.

Tim Lynch
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
You might want to ask over here: johnbridge.com

It's a great forum, like this one!

Ben Grunow
07-11-2007, 9:08 PM
If you live anywhere near NY city I know a guy who can help.

PM me for the name. I might forget to check this post.

Ben

Eddie Darby
07-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Do you have any off cuts? If so then try to reproduce the haze on the off cuts and then experiment on them.
If not then try and see if you can get some off cuts from the manufacturer.
If not then try working on a small inconspicuous spot.

Owen Gregg
07-12-2007, 5:13 AM
Jason, I've worked with stone for a few years. Your problem is common and fortunately easy to fix. When we get calls to "fix" hazy tops, 9 times out of 10 it's because people have been waxing them or using a wax based cleaner. We show up with a buffer and 10" steel wool pad and basically buff off the accumulated wax in 20-30 minutes. You can do this with normal steel wool, it will take some time and elbow grease, though. You don't need any chemicals or specific wax removers.

Ask the wife to stop using a wax based cleaner. They have specific granite cleaners out there, and they would be your safest bet as far as normal cleaning, but I personally use 409 (The kind that comes in a "see through" bottle and looks purple). I've never had any problems with it. Try not to use windex.

Belinda Barfield
07-12-2007, 7:28 AM
Jason,

Sent you a pm. Go to the site listed below for further info. Even though it says "marble", they cover granite as well.

www.marble-institute.com (http://www.marble-institute.com)