PDA

View Full Version : Window A/C Issue

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2007, 11:09 AM
We have two window A/C units, the 6,000 btu in our bedroom and the 12,000 btu here in the shop. Being in the high 80's this week, maybe 100 later today
I've been running this one most of the day to keep the laser air cool and allow me to work with the vinyl. The bedroom one we set to come on at 8pm and run all night.

Both of them are LG electronic/remote and both have the same problem.

After running a couple of hours the temperature setting changes itself to 72 (default). Last night I had the bedroom one set at 68 and had to change it back from 72 3-4 times during the night. The shop one I had to change twice in the afternoon.

I contacted LG by e-mail and their reply was "make sure you have the mode set to cooling." (Thanks a lot).

Any ideas, or should we just live with it? After all we normally only get a few weeks of this weather.

Matt Meiser
07-11-2007, 1:31 PM
What happens when they lose power--do they go back to 72? I'm wondering if there is enough of a brownout occuring to make them reset? Short of an external cause, you'll probably have to live with it because it is probably controlled by software in the AC unit.

Al Willits
07-11-2007, 1:37 PM
Can you get to the service manual on the LG website?
If not pm me

Al

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2007, 2:32 PM
What happens when they lose power--do they go back to 72? I'm wondering if there is enough of a brownout occuring to make them reset? Short of an external cause, you'll probably have to live with it because it is probably controlled by software in the AC unit.
Yes, if the plug is pulled it forgets the settings and goes to 72.

Al,

The user manuals that came with it have no mention of that happening for any reason. Look for pm.

Al Willits
07-11-2007, 4:24 PM
Funny, LG's website doesn't list them models much less service manuals....I sent ya a pm but I'll keep trying.

Al

Randy Denby
07-11-2007, 8:48 PM
My...big guess...is its in the software/electronics of the units. I imagine the default setting is 72 deg and may allow only a short run with a lower setpoint. This could be to prevent freeze up of the evaporator. Without any specifics....this is just a guess.

Randy Klein
07-11-2007, 8:53 PM
Are you sure the 72 is the temp setting or merely a thermometer read? I know on mine, there is both. Just a thought...

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2007, 9:48 PM
When I see it's 72, I press the temperature "Down" button on the remote and it goes to 71 then 70 then 69 etc. and I can hear the compressor kick in.

Jim Bell
07-11-2007, 10:49 PM
My shop unit has 3 or4 "Mode" settings which causes my a/c to operate differently depending on the "Mode" setting. Check your manual, maybe a setting change will help.

Lee Schierer
07-12-2007, 1:11 PM
With most electronic wall thermostats there are two different ways to change temperature. One is to alter the program, the other is to over ride the program for a fixed interval. If you are chainging the temp via the control with the up/down button, with out entering the programming mode, most likely you are only overiding the program. In which case the temp will stay at the setting you dialed in only for the "override" programmed time which is likely to be 1-3 hours. You will have to follow different steps to re wriite the actual program in the control in the program mode.