PDA

View Full Version : A hello & introduction from a new member...

Evan Stockton
07-11-2007, 10:01 AM
Hello, all –

Not sure where the appropriate place to post this would be, so I’m going with this board…

I just wanted to introduce myself as a new member of the boards (that way, you at least have an idea who I am when I start inundating you all with a ton of questions! :D ) – My name, obviously, is Evan Stockton, and my wife Jenn and I live in New York City.

We’re recently married, although we’ve been together for three years now, and we live in the garden-level of a brownstone in Harlem.

I work for a non-profit that manages and provides technical assistance for healthcare, especially regarding women & children, in third world nations. (Although the majority of our work is in Africa, we have country offices all over the world.)

So, I have a job that provides me with a fairly decent sense of well-being, but I needed some form of creative outlet – Thus my interest in woodworking, and subsequently finding these message boards.

I’ve always been somewhat artistically-inclined (before my foray into business & information technology, I acquired an AA in graphic design), but really couldn’t settle on a media for which to use as my outlet – Until I built a plant stand for my wife.

No experience, no plans, little budget, lots of help (in the form of locations to acquire materials) from eBay & Home Depot – But I had a blast, and its actually serving its purpose admirably. (I installed fluorescent fixtures on the tops of the shelves and use plant & aquarium lights – I have to say, it works – I’ll try to pull a couple of pictures and post them, although it doesn’t come close to the pieces I’ve seen thus far here.)

Anyway, my father has always been very good building and planning and drawing, and my great grandfather was a master carpenter – I hate that I didn’t have the chance to spend more time with him and learn about all the cool hand tools that held me spellbound when I would see them in his shop. Well, this new-found appreciation (and enjoyment) of woodworking allows me to feel closer to them somehow, and simultaneously provides me that creative outlet.

My projects lately have been using a Dremmel tool to “carve” or route out the negative space on pre-cut pieces (I’ve picked up at Joann’s Fabrics) – I then paint the remaining raised design, and poly the whole thing. I’ve done a couple of welcome signs for family, and recently completely a clock for my sister commemorating her wedding (I’ll try and post pictures of these, as well).

I wanted to expand (both my projects and my knowledge), so I’ve been doing lots of internet reading (again, that’s how I found myself here) and bought a couple of books, including one that’s all simple projects (bookcases, mirrors, tables, etc.). I’m excited to get started in earnest.

Another type of project I’m thinking about getting into is sandblasting – My father, upon seeing what I had done with the aforementioned clock, suggested I look into that method because of how I worked the design (again, leaving the raised design after getting rid of the negative space) – We subsequently started looking at some of the signs in our area – New York doesn’t have many of the sandblasted types, but Florida (where we were for my sister’s wedding) had a ton of them. I know I could do some good stuff, and maybe even sell them, but I have a bunch to learn first. (Speaking of which, this subject will probably be the topic of my first question to the group, so stay tuned! lol)

OK, for those who have read this far, thanks – This was a long-winded way of saying hello, telling you who I am, and explaining why I’m here. I’ve enjoyed looking through the posts thus far, and am excited about interacting with you folks.

Take care, and best regards,

Evan

Brad Townsend
07-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Welcome Evan! I can see all sorts of possibilities here for you to contribute to this forum, particularly in doing woodworking with limited space in an urban environment. Hope to see lots of postings and pictures from you in the future.

Paul Douglass
07-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Welcome! This is a great place to get lots of help. You will enjoy it here. I not good enough to give much on the help side, but I absorb all the learning I can.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Evan! From beginner to pro they're all here willing to civily exchange information! Wade right in the water's fine!

Glenn Clabo
07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Welcome Evan...
I think your adventures will be fun to watch so go ahead and ask all the questions you need. I'm sure there's an answer or 2...or 3...or 4...here.

Don Orr
07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Good to have you aboard. Lots of good folks here and even more good information. Have fun!

John Shuk
07-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Welcome Evan,
It's nice to see more NY'ers here. I live about an hour up the river from you. Enjoy the atmosphere here. It's a very friendly place.
John

Hank Knight
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Hello, Evan. Welcome, you have landed in a good place. There is an enormous amount of talent here and folks are more than happy to share their knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. I'm confident that you will find Sawmill Creek as educational and stimulating as I have.

Hank

Evan Stockton
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the welcome - Its a pleasure to meet you, as well as the hundreds (thousands!) I haven't had the chance to as of yet.

I have to say, the next best thing to all of the info combined here on this board is the manner in which its conveyed - Friendly, kind, encouraging advice - Take it from the newbie: your patience & willingness to share is more appreciated than one could ever put into words.

Brad, you're right about woodworking being an adventure in an urban environment - From difficulty finding materials close-at-hand to a simple lack of space, its a challenge.

Luckily, we are the only tenants to have access to the basement, and seeing as how I do minor repairs around the building, the landlord has been gracious enough to allow me to not only store my (small, but growing) collection of tools down there, but to set up shop, so to speak. I'm bare-bones, for the moment, in that I'm using two interior doors laid across a couple of pairs of sawhorses for workbenches at the moment, but that will be one definite future project.

Another thing working in my favor, in regards to materials, is that my wife and I drive down to Maryland often, since her family is located there - I take the opportunity to go to Harbour Freight, Home Depot, and other shops while we're there - She jokes that she goes down to see her family tree and I go to just get trees. Heh.

Anywho, again, I appreciate the welcome - You can bet I'll contribute as much as I can, and look forward to conversing with you guys & gals. It is indeed a pleasure to be here.

Best,

Evan

Don Bullock
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Evan, welcome. You'll find that there are many here who will offer you help with your projects. It's a very friendly place with a lot of experienced people who are super at helping others.

Roy Harding
07-11-2007, 1:05 PM
... I'm bare-bones, for the moment, in that I'm using two interior doors laid across a couple of pairs of sawhorses for workbenches at the moment, but that will be one definite future project.

Your setup sounds remarkably similar to my first shop - in my case it was the spare bedroom in a two-bedroom apartment! My first workbench was the duplicate of yours. I worked happily in this setup for about two years (at first with no power tools), and made many little things still treasured by my wife.

Working in such a small space, and with limited equipment, forced me to become efficient and organized - I simply didn't have the space to spread things out. I had to approach my projects logically, and acquire the material as it was needed.

Today (30 years later), I have a dedicated shop with a Felder combo machine, dust collection, spray booth, and many other bells and whistles. The discipline I learned while working in that little apartment bedroom has held me in good stead - and I STILL get that same wonderful thrill from creating something for my wife, as well as my customers.

I'm willing to bet that should my shop burn down (touch wood), and I had to start all over again with a door on sawhorses, the thrill would still be there.

I'm relatively new to these forums myself, and I find them fascinating. I don't contribute much - I'm still soaking it all in. It's a wonderful place, you'll enjoy it. Good luck to you, and have fun!

Roy

Ed Breen
07-11-2007, 4:41 PM
Hey Evan,
Welcome to the creek, you'll find the gang friendly and helpful. As an expat (Jackson Heights) I can appreciate your bare bones. By the by, I admire the work you do at your non-profit. For a time back in 1980 I was communting between Chicago and Monrovia Liberia working with the locals for an injured client. Tough work.
Again Welcome
Ed:)

Evan Stockton
07-11-2007, 8:20 PM
Well, as mentioned, here's one picture of what started it all, and the more recent clock I did for my sister...

Again, the plant stand was done with no plans, aside from my (uneducated) drawings...

The clock...Well, I'm happy the way it turned out, except that I'm not too thrilled by the differences in depth around some of the lettering. I use a rounded wood carving bit in the Dremmel, and the most difficult thing I have dealt with is gauging depth. I route out the majority of the negative space with a full size router (Ryobi R181FB1), but I fine with its depth - I just need more experience creating equal depths around the items in my design...But, it's lots more work than the simple welcome signs I did (and, lots more fun), so I'm sure I'll find an excuse to get that experience...

Thanks again for all the replies/welcomes - I really appreciate it, and look forward to talking with you all!

Charles Jackson III
07-12-2007, 5:40 PM
Evans welcome the forum!