PDA

View Full Version : So I'm driving home from work today....

Pat Doble
07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
and then I spot it up ahead - a pile (7 or 8) of 16-30" diameter, 6-8' long logs sitting in a pile along the street:eek: :eek: :eek: . Immediately the heart rate goes up, and I start wondering whether I should stop and ask about it now or go the 2 miles home and come back ready to go to. (I don't carry any of the necessary equipment with me since I drive a Civic while LOL drives the F150.) I'm trying to remember how much gas I have for the chainsaw, where the sharp chains are, how much Anchorseal I have left and where the camera is for the necessary gloat (and how I'm going to break it to SWMBO that my garage stall full of box elder, cottonwood and maple logs isn't enough and that I need this additional bounty).

And then it happens, :confused: , as I drive by the pile, I see it, the hot pink spray paint ring of death - the mark from the city to signify a tree with Dutch Elm disease. :mad: Now comes the emptiness, the short dream is over. You see, I have an elm tree with an 85'+ diameter canopy that shades my entire back yard, and there's just no way I'm going to do anything that might increase the risk of it getting the disease, as almost every other elm in the neighborhood has died in the last couple of years. We're treating ours, it's worked up to this point, so I'm not going to tempt fate. Oh well, it would have just been a bunch of huge blanks that wouldn't fit on the Rikon anyway.

So, because it didn't happen, there will be no pictures....

Harvey M. Taylor
07-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Sort of like receiving an empty Care package, isnt it. Didnt know about cities marking a diseased tree. Thanks for the warning.

William Bachtel
07-11-2007, 7:50 AM
Plus your Elm is going to give you lots of turning stock, someday