PDA

View Full Version : Pen Sleeves

Ken Salisbury
01-17-2004, 8:17 AM
For those folks who wondering how to pack individual pens they wish to donate here is one idea. I use these sleeves to store my pens to protect them. They are minimal in cost from Packard Woodworks (25¢ to 35¢) depending on quanity. They are large enough that the provided note can be folded and placed inside also.

We are working on coming up with a standard way to package the items when they are received at Hampton Roads if required. Anyone who can send them this way or something similar will eliminate any repackaging.

Just a thought.

Bill Turpin
01-17-2004, 6:53 PM
How about an appropiate length and diameter of PVC or CPVC pipe. This is cheap and available to everyone and a lot of us may have some lying around. Use the message paper to keep the pen in the pipe. The GI can use the pipe to keep the pen from getting scratched or crushed in the field.
Some preliminary contacts need to be made so that when all from this military base have received a gift pen, that we will be ready to send to other bases.
I will send some pens as soon as I turn some more. Santa cleaned me out.

Bill in WNC mountains

Ron Meadows
01-17-2004, 7:41 PM
Bill,

Outstanding idea. Cheap, functional, and pretty tough. Should prevent the pens from being damaged. I'm going to pack all my pens in CPVC.

It could be another way for non-turners to contribute too.

Ron

Chris Johnson
01-17-2004, 7:55 PM
Since they have been finding chemicals and other 'stuff' in pipes over there, and since pvc is not transparent, perhaps someone should inquire if this packaging method will be allowed. It would be a shame to have them rejected or unpackaged and bulk shipped because of this.

I think the clear sleeves shown earlier would clear with no problems.

Just a thought.

How about an appropiate length and diameter of PVC or CPVC pipe. This is cheap and available to everyone and a lot of us may have some lying around. Use the message paper to keep the pen in the pipe. The GI can use the pipe to keep the pen from getting scratched or crushed in the field.
Some preliminary contacts need to be made so that when all from this military base have received a gift pen, that we will be ready to send to other bases.
I will send some pens as soon as I turn some more. Santa cleaned me out.

Bill in WNC mountains

Jim Lane
01-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Here is an alternative. I use paintball tubes to put my pens in. They're semi-opaque, so you can see what's inside, but they're rigid, so they protect the pens better. They're designed to hold .68 caliber paintballs, so will hold most pens, including cigar pens (except for the larger Gentlemens Pens and El Grande, etc.). And they're cheap, only about .25 each. Here is a photo:
http://www.stinggroup.addr.com/projects/turn/tubes.jpg

I get them here:
http://www.actionvillage.com/041-9110.html

They might take up a little more space than the PVC sleeves, but the pens would be better protected. A soldier could leave the pen in the tube when they carry it. They include a friction fit cap. And the tubes can be cut to shorter lengths, if need be.

Jim Lane

For those folks who wondering how to pack individual pens they wish to donate here is one idea. I use these sleeves to store my pens to protect them. They are minimal in cost from Packard Woodworks (25¢ to 35¢) depending on quanity. They are large enough that the provided note can be folded and placed inside also.

We are working on coming up with a standard way to package the items when they are received at Hampton Roads if required. Anyone who can send them this way or something similar will eliminate any repackaging.

Just a thought.

Mike Leonard
01-19-2004, 7:38 AM
All,

Just a thought on individual pen packaging. I have volunteered to be the laison with the Military on getting the pens shipped. With the current Anti-Terrorism and Force Protection issues I think we should hold off a few days before anyone settles on how to package the pens indivdually. Let me make some contacts and see what packaging method would be acceptable. I am sure that the clear sleeves or the clear tubes would be fine. Let me check with the powers that be to ensure we don't hit a snag on this one. This may prevent repackaging once they are received at Hampton Roads for final shipment.