PDA

View Full Version : Freedom Pens - General Information

Keith Outten
01-17-2004, 5:41 AM
The Freedom Pen program is an all volunteer effort spearheaded by the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to provide custom hand crafted pens to American servicemen and women overseas. We welcome anyone who is interested in our project and willing to donate their time, talent or services to assist us in our goal of providing beautiful writing instruments for our military stationed in foreign countries who are in harms way.

Every Freedom Pen that is delivered will serve as a constant reminder to our troops that they are not alone and will have our continued support until every one of them returns home.

Additional information and links to all pertinent messages here in our forums are now available on the Freedom Pen Project Website at;

http://www.freedompens.org

Who Makes The Pens?
Freedom Pens are being made by individual woodworkers everywhere, from small towns to our largest cities, amateur woodworkers are donating their time, talent and personal funds to create custom pens as a symbol of their support for our military men and women.

How Can You Get Involved?
We need your help to advertise our program, create pens and assist in funding the cost of providing pen kits and materials. The Freedom Pen program has just started to evolve and the members of SawMill Creek are all participating in the development and creation of the program. Additional details will be posted publicly right here in our forums as the program develops.

Where Can I Ship My Pens To?
SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums are sponsored by Hampton Roads Online (HRO), a small Internet Service Provider located in Yorktown Virginia. HRO has volunteered to receive and distribute all pens created for the program. The shipping address is;

SawMill Creek C/O
Northwind Associates Inc.
8770 Little England Rd.
Hayes, VA 23072

I Don't Own a Lathe, How Can I Help?
Our Power Tool Forum Moderator Ken Salisbury is working on a system that will provide information concerning financial assistance and services we will need to help us promote the Freedom Pen program. We will need to purchase pen kits and materials to supply some woodworkers who have the equipment and talent but do not have the financial resources to purchase materials. The cost of materials for each each pen is very inexpensive however with the number of pens we hope to produce we will need to ask for monetary donations. All of the details will be made available in just a few days.

We will need woodworkers who do not own a lathe to help us prepare wood turning blanks for those who are producing pens. Anyone who would like to provide lumber, even in small quantities would be a valuable asset to our program and we welcome their assistance. Often workshop scraps can be used to prepare turning blanks for pens.

Our immediate need is to get the word out to newspapers, radio stations, television stations and magazines about our program. If you are able to assist by contacting the media and letting them know about our program we would certainly appreciate your efforts.

What are Our Goals for the Freedom Pen Program?
We believe we can ship over 20,000 pens this year. Our target number is relative to the number of woodworkers who are willing to participate. Financial support will be necessary but we can produce hand crafted pens at a very low cost since all of our labor is a volunteer effort. The progress of our Freedom Pen program will be updated regularly here in this forum and on a new web site under development right now.
The members of SawMill Creek have already pledged to produce hundreds of pens so we expect to make our first shipment overseas in late January 2004.

The men and women in our military forces serve and protect many nations all over the world. They are provided the very best equipment and technology by our Government but they need moral support from home, positive assurance that the people of our country are behind them every minute of every day. When one of our hand made writing instruments is used to write a letter home it is a symbol of our support and physical evidence that the people of America care deeply about their safety and are praying for their safe return home.

It is a privilege for the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums to develop and provide continued support for the Freedom Pen program. Our members are responding to our call for help and are excited about getting involved with such an honorable project that will touch the hearts of our sons and daughters in harms way.

www.sawmillcreek.org (http://www.sawmillcreek.org)

If you would like to join us or you can lend a hand in any way we would be glad to have your help and your support with our Freedom Pen Program. You may contact any of our members, they will all be willing to share information concerning our program or answer any questions you may have. Ken Salisbury and myself are also willing to answer questions or to assist you in any way we possibly can.

Contact Information;

Keith Outten, Freedom Pen Project Adminstrator
keith@sawmillcreek.org (webmaster@sawmillcreek.org)
Cell Phone 757-871-8214

Ken Salisbury, Freedom Pen Material/Financial Coordinator

Kenn Hill
01-19-2004, 9:02 AM
I am a new member of this forum as a result of hearing about the Freedom Pens project. I feel this is an admirable undertaking. I plan to support this project by contributing pens. I don't know how many just yet. If I receive permission from American Forests, who owns the wood I plan to use for my first contribution, I will send some of our pens made from the "Last Liberty Tree" from Annapolis, MA. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to the Troops for the job they are doing.

http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/images/pen%7Eliberty01.jpg
http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/images/pen%7Eliberty02.jpg
History of the wood from this tree can be seen here:
http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/treesliberty.html
Kenn

Paul Lajoie
01-19-2004, 7:53 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Do we have to buy from your supply or can we use some of own choosing? Are pen boxes needed and can we include our business card? :cool:

Ken Salisbury
01-19-2004, 8:05 PM
Sounds like a great idea. Do we have to buy from your supply or can we use some of own choosing? Are pen boxes needed and can we include our business card? :cool:

Use whatever kits you would like. You definitely do not have to buy from our bulk buy program. As a matter of fact it is better for you to procure your kits individually yourself which will reduce the workload on me cooordinating orders, shippping tracking, etc.

A note as to who made the pens or who donated the money for the pens is appropriate. I personnally do not think "business cards" per se should be included - but that is your decision to make.

Pen Boxes are not required - we are in the process of determining the packaging we will use to ship them overseas. In the meantime you can wrap your note around the pen and ship to the Hampton Roads address
that has been posted

Kenn Hill
01-20-2004, 8:22 AM
I am a new member of this forum as a result of hearing about the Freedom Pens project. I feel this is an admirable undertaking. I plan to support this project by contributing pens. I don't know how many just yet. If I receive permission from American Forests, who owns the wood I plan to use for my first contribution, I will send some of our pens made from the "Last Liberty Tree" from Annapolis, MA. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to the Troops for the job they are doing.
http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/images/pen%7Eliberty01.jpg
http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/images/pen%7Eliberty02.jpg
History of the wood from this tree can be seen here:
http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/treesliberty.html
Kenn
I have now received permission to use this wood for this project from American Forests-Famous & Historic Trees. They agree this is a worthy effort. I will be sending our first donation in the very near future.
Kenn

Mike Leonard
01-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Kenn,

Keith and I had an interview yesterday for an article to be posted in the base newspaper. I mentioned you and your "Last Liberty Tree" pens. She would like to mention you in the article. I told her I would clear it with you first. So, will you give us permission to use your name and mention the "Last Liberty Tree" pens in the article?

Mike

Kenn Hill
01-23-2004, 7:10 PM
Kenn,

Keith and I had an interview yesterday for an article to be posted in the base newspaper. I mentioned you and your "Last Liberty Tree" pens. She would like to mention you in the article. I told her I would clear it with you first. So, will you give us permission to use your name and mention the "Last Liberty Tree" pens in the article?

Mike
Mike,
Feel free to mention my name or anything else about the Last Liberty Tree pens I will be sending in the very near future. History about the tree can be found at this page: http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/treesliberty.html
Thanks,
Kenn

Jim Stastny
01-23-2004, 8:18 PM
I don't turn, but I have scraps of cherry as well as oak and maple that I would gladly mill into solid blanks. Just let me know the dimensions and where to send them.

Julie Wright
01-24-2004, 10:26 PM
3/4" x 3/4" x 6" is the standard pen blank dimentions

THanks
for your help
Julie

Penny J
01-25-2004, 11:37 AM
There was a story on your project on our local news last night (Huntsville, AL) and I just wanted to say what a wonderful project I think it is! I would like to help but have no background in wood working or anything like it. What could I do?

Also, is there a way to add a group of soldiers to those on your list to receive pens? I have been corresponding with a soldier who I have never met via email who is stationed in Iraq and would love to get him and his group a set of your beautiful pens. Please let me know if there is a way to add them to your shipping list.

Thanks and keep up the wonderful work!

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for joining SMC and for supporting our Freedom Pen Project. There are many ways you can contribute, and the best part is, you don't need to be a Woodworker to do so! That is the beauty of the Freedom Pen Project, we are getting support from folks from all walks of life. This really is a grassroots campaign to help our Troops. Could you do me a favor though? The terms of service require all Sawmill Creek members to register with the first and last names. I overlooked this when I joined too, as have many others, so don't feel alone. Just send a PM, (Private Message) to any one of our Moderators, and they will gladly update your profile to reflect the new information. We will have the website up and running soon where folks can contribute to the cause, so check back often. Welcome Penny, we are happy to have you as a member of Sawmill Creek! :D

Ken Salisbury
01-25-2004, 12:46 PM
There was a story on your project on our local news last night (Huntsville, AL) and I just wanted to say what a wonderful project I think it is! I would like to help but have no background in wood working or anything like it. What could I do?

Also, is there a way to add a group of soldiers to those on your list to receive pens? I have been corresponding with a soldier who I have never met via email who is stationed in Iraq and would love to get him and his group a set of your beautiful pens. Please let me know if there is a way to add them to your shipping list.

Thanks and keep up the wonderful work!

Penny,

Please contact me by telephone ( I am in the Huntsville directory)

Ken Salsibury

Kenn Hill
01-25-2004, 1:27 PM
Keith,
I have taken the liberty of copying your opening statement for this thread and pasting it on my web site concerning Freedom Pens. Please see this at this address:

http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/treesliberty.html#freedom
I have also put a link to the Freedom Pen Web Site. If this does not meet with your approval, please let me know and I will remove it from the site immediately.
Thanks,
Kenn

Ken Salisbury
01-25-2004, 1:39 PM
Keith,
I have taken the liberty of copying your opening statement for this thread and pasting it on my web site concerning Freedom Pens. Please see this at this address:
I have also put a link to the Freedom Pen Web Site. If this does not meet with your approval, please let me know and I will remove it from the site immediately.
Thanks,
Kenn

No problem Kenn - I looked at it - great job - keep up the good work

Tom Sweeney
01-25-2004, 2:33 PM
or anybody else with their own web site. I made a banner link to put on my (non woodworking) web site. Feel free to use it if you want to.
It's a little bit larger than a normal link button - but I was able to make room on my site for it. I took the design from Aaron's great button layouts. If someone is interested but needs it smaller or a different design - let me know & I'd be happy to make one for you.

BTW Kenn, I want to thank you for securing the last liberty tree wood for the program - I really think that is awsome.

Keith Outten
01-25-2004, 3:07 PM
Thanks to everyone for their efforts trying to get the word out about our Freedon Pen program.

Kenn,

You are welcome to use the text concerning the Freedom Pen program and we certainly appreciate you promoting the program on your web site.
By the way I ordered one of the Liberty Pens yesterday, can't wait to receive it so I can build a display case and engrave a plaque for my little piece of Americana. I will post a picture when it's comlete.

Kenn Hill
01-25-2004, 3:35 PM
or anybody else with their own web site. I made a banner link to put on my (non woodworking) web site. Feel free to use it if you want to.

BTW Kenn, I want to thank you for securing the last liberty tree wood for the program - I really think that is awsome.
Tom,
I snitched your banner. Resized it, and put a bevel and a little inner shadow on it. Hope you don't mind. It fits a little better with the background on my site. The color is perrrrrfect.

Here's what I did to it.

http://www.kennspenns.com/pens/images/freedom.jpg
Kenn

greg patarini
01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
Would a tool pen be ok? Just asking because of the razor blade included with it! Will be sending you a few pens, not sure how many but I should be able to turn a few soon! As soon as it gets warm and I can wire the new inverter in the semi, will try to get you a small batch.

Keith Outten
01-26-2004, 7:53 AM
Would a tool pen be ok? Just asking because of the razor blade included with it! Will be sending you a few pens, not sure how many but I should be able to turn a few soon! As soon as it gets warm and I can wire the new inverter in the semi, will try to get you a small batch.

Greg,

The military would probably prefer that we didn't send anything that included a knife or razor. Given the atmosphere these days concerning terrorism it might be a problem for some people.

Jackie Outten
02-02-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks to Kenn Hill from Kenn's Penns and Alice Call from Alice's Turn for their kind donation of Freedom Pens. They were received in our office this morning.

I also received a call this morning from the Lafayette Indiana Journal and Courier and they are going to do an article on Freedom Pens thanks to one of our members. It should be online either tomorrow or Wednesday at www.jconline.com. Be sure to check it out.

Thanks again to all for your generous contributions.

Jackie Outten

Kenn Hill
02-02-2004, 12:56 PM
Keith,
I think you said your were going to get the Liberty Tree Freedom pens to someone for special distribution. Jackie has received them now if you want to do anything with them.
Kenn

Veronica Helt
03-10-2004, 5:39 PM
How can I get my hands on some pens to send to my husband's unit? They just left for a 6 month deployment to Iraq. I think receiving the pens would boost their morale.

Thank you

Veronica Helt

Kenn Hill
03-10-2004, 5:51 PM
How can I get my hands on some pens to send to my husband's unit? They just left for a 6 month deployment to Iraq. I think receiving the pens would boost their morale.

Thank you

Veronica Helt

Veronica,

I could be totally incorrect, but I don't think the Freedom pen project would send individuals pens to be sent to the troops. The person to contact would be Keith Outten. See one of his posts and ask him this question. There has got to be a good answer to get your husband's unit some pens.

Kenn

Ken Salisbury
03-10-2004, 6:48 PM

Thank you

Veronica Helt

Veronica

If the commander of your husband's unit contacts us by e-mail and requests pens for the unit we will be glad to send them. We do not send pens to individuals to be forwarded to the troops. We will however send them directly to a unit upon a request from a specific unit (no matter how small or how large). Actually we prefer to do it that way since we are then assured they get to the "troops on the ground". Please e-mail me (freedom@oldrebelworkshop.com)if you have any questions.

Robert Kline
06-07-2005, 8:12 PM
ken,I tkink that the freedom pen thing might go great here on greely could you e mail me some info to submit to the MWR director robert.kline4@greely.army.mil