PDA

View Full Version : Lh thread 1x8?

Bob Hallowell
07-10-2007, 6:11 PM
I just picked up a new lathe (stealth gloat). it is an old prototype of the delta dl-40, it did not have the factory stand nor the vfd drive (I will be putting on on).

you can turn on the outboard side of the headstock but it uses a lefthanded thread 1x8. I was wondering if anyone new of anyplace I could find an adapter to make it a right handed thread so I could use my chuck.

thanks,
Bob

Pete Jordan
07-10-2007, 6:21 PM
Bob,

Congrats on the lathe! I would try this place for an adapter. http://www.woodenpost.com/products/change_spindle_size_on_lathe.htm
They say you can call in they don't have what you need.

Mike Vickery
07-10-2007, 7:00 PM
Maybe I am confused but if I understand you right.
I do not think you want to do that you want to change you chuck insert to a LH thread if you are turning outboard (unless you have reverse on your lathe) other wise the chuck can unscrew itself. If you have reverse ignore this.

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2007, 7:10 PM
Bob I was just going to ask the same thing. Don't you want to leave it left handed???? I would think when the lathe stopped it could spin the chuck right off. Or am I missing something here.

Paul Heely
07-10-2007, 8:47 PM
If the chuck has a grub screw, I think that's what is called, that can be tightened down to lock the chuck to the threads of the spindle then won't that solve the spin off problem?

Bob Hallowell
07-10-2007, 9:36 PM
I think your right but I hate to buy a new chuck just to used it outboard plus I don't know if I could find one of those.

Bob

Gordon Seto
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
The whole idea of having LH thread on the outboard side is that it will self-tightening when the lathe is running forward direction on the inboard side.

You don't want RH on the outboard side if the lathe doesn't have reverse.

I have seen chuck insert that has both RH & LH threads.

Gordon

Mike Vickery
07-11-2007, 1:32 AM
What kind of chuck do you have?
I know the Oneway chucks you would just need to change out the insert for it not buy a whole new chuck. Of course changeing the insert back and forth will get old in a hurry.

Bob Hallowell
07-11-2007, 8:07 AM
Right now I have a psi Barracuda which I liked, But I might have to get the talon or stonghold.

Thanks,
Bob

Kim Ford
07-11-2007, 2:06 PM
Oneway makes a 1 X 8 chuck adapter for both the Talon # 0227 and the Stronghold #03237 that are made for both RH and LH threads. They actually thread the hole with both threads so you can use it on either end of the headstock and do not need to change the adapter. I have faceplates threaded this way and they work great.