PDA

View Full Version : When's the last time you moved your bench?

glenn bradley
07-10-2007, 3:28 PM
I'm on the fence as to whether or not to put levelers on my 'next' bench. I'll gain a minimum of 1/2" if I add them and be focusing the weight on a smaller spot than if used without.

I'm of the opinion that if I position the bench I probably won't move it for a very long time. Bench weighs about 300lbs. I have a rolling worktable that is used for that purpose. Just wondering what others have found.

Mike Cutler
07-10-2007, 4:23 PM
Glenn

I thought about putting levelers and casters on my bench, due to an uneven garage floor, but in the end I just used shim stock(metal). I'm glad I did. My bench is rock solid, and would take a sledge hammer to make it vibrate.

I'll go for stability first, any day, on a bench. I don't have to share my bench space with a car, or lawn and garden equipment. So I'm lucky in that respect.

Larry Fox
07-10-2007, 5:21 PM
I don't move mine very often but when I do it is nice to be able to do so fairly easily. When I do move it, it is typically to do some type of assembly that requires a lot of square footage. I would give yourself the option if it is somewhat easy to do-so.

Gail O'Rourke
07-10-2007, 5:26 PM
I have my heavy workbench on the adjust a bench legs and casters, I love it.

I also move mine around all of the time including into the driveway if I need it.

mark page
07-10-2007, 6:24 PM
Mine is an 8 footer on six castors, with three sets of cabinets under it. I'ts raised appx 3 inches on the castors, so cleaning is as simple as blowing out under it. But having to move it is still another story. Can someone say instant hernia.....it can be done but I don't wanna.

Steve Clardy
07-10-2007, 7:35 PM
Moved both of mine 7 months ago for repairs.

They are back in the same place though

Jim Becker
07-10-2007, 8:42 PM
I last moved mine when I put the slider in the shop and needed to reposition the bench accordingly. Otherwise, it stays in its place...one of the reasons I got rid of the moblity kit I originally got with the Adjust-A-Bench. (The other being to save my ankles...)

Rick Gibson
07-10-2007, 9:12 PM
I move mine once or twice a year when I overhaul the table saw. I have it positioned so I can use it as an outfeed table. Probably only weighs a couple hundred pounds so I just slide it back on the concrete floor.

Rob Will
07-10-2007, 9:15 PM
FWIW folks, a $199 HF pallet jack is one of the best things I have in my shop. Don't know how I got along without one. Now everything (including big old arn) is mobile:cool:.

I would shim the bench as required and buy a pallet jack.

Rob

Jason Crees
07-10-2007, 11:11 PM
I am moving and moved one of mine today. I bet my buddy was wishing he hadn't stopped by unannounced.

Don Morris
07-10-2007, 11:26 PM
If I couldn't move my bench depending on certain conditions, like needing to put numerous long clamps on it, It would be impossible to do wwing in my narrow basement shop. But the heavy duty casters can be locked down very tight. It's probably several hundred pds. with all the extra drawers, and tools I have stored on the bottom shelf. I also designed it to double as an outfeed table...again, maximum use of space in a small basement shop. Sure, if I had a huge shop with unlimited space, a rock solid bench, sounds nice, but I can't think of any project I couldn't do with my setup.

Steve LaFara
07-11-2007, 1:03 AM
Have not moved it since it was built 10 years ago and it will likely stay there until they haul me off in a box.;)

Andrew Williams
07-11-2007, 9:38 AM
Mine is probably over 300 lbs now and is not going to be moved. I had to level it by putting hardboard shims under two of the feet. It was easy to lift by using an 8 foot long oak 2x2 as a lever, and lowering the lever onto a 5 gallon plastican to keep it up. If it had to be moved I would just use the lever again and put dollies under the feet. If need be though, it disassembles into easily manageable pieces. The top is 4 separate slabs held together with threaded rods and the base is fit with tusk tenon joinery.

Steve Wargo
07-11-2007, 1:28 PM
If you place it in the right spot... you may never have to move it. Of course if it weighs enough like my bench (http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=20844)you may never be able to move it.

David DeCristoforo
07-11-2007, 1:50 PM
I move my benches all the time depending on the scope and configuration of the project I am working on. Yes, they are all heavy but, no, none of them are on wheels. I just "horse" 'em around whenever I need to. And, yes, I do have a messed up back, probably from doing things like shoving around heavy benches and such.

John Gornall
07-11-2007, 2:16 PM
I'm working on some simple brackets that I can install in 4 points around my bench so I can attach 4 trailer jacks. The jacks you see on trailers so you can jack up the front and wheel them around - about a 6 inch caster. The jacks will be held in place by being loaded - just slip them into the brackets and give them a couple of cranks to hold them in place and lift the bench. Move the bench, drop it back to the floor and put the jacks away. I think I'll find other uses around the shop - maybe the table saw.

PS - started looking at this idea while recovering from hernia surgery - water pipe broke and I moved a 150 pound tool box out of the way quickly - that was easy when I was a little younger.

Brian Penning
07-11-2007, 2:24 PM
I move mine now and then.
Reason is that imo a bench is so much more useful if you can have access from all 4 sides or, in my case, 3 sides cause I put 1 end against the wall.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/IMG_1859.jpg?t=1184178221

If I do have a big project I can wrestle it against the wall lengthwise.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Bri68/Miscilaneous/123-2311_IMG.jpg?t=1184177884

Steve Sawyer
07-11-2007, 5:07 PM
I'm in the process of building a new bench, as the old one had some limitations including being too light.

However, I have a tiny space to work in - 12' x 14' less the space for the boiler and HW heater, so the ability to move stuff around is always important. All my machinery is on mobile bases, and I'd like the new bench to be mobile too.

I have four of those heavy-duty 300# capacity polyurethane casters, the ones that lock in both axes. Most people I talk to about putting these under my new bench shudder at the thought of having the bench sitting on top of little wheels, no matter how securely they lock. On the other hand, I haven't been able to come up with a practical wheel-retraction scheme.

What I'm tempted to do is build the bench full-size, then bolt the wheels to the bottom of the legs and see how well it works. If it's stable and doesn't scoot, I'll take the casters off, whack 3 1/2" off of the bottom of the legs and re-attach the casters.

For leveling, I'll just put a hardwood wedge under whichever wheel doesn't touch the floor.