PDA

View Full Version : New Old Jointer

Matt Meiser
07-10-2007, 2:43 PM
I picked this 6" jointer up yesterday from a fellow SE Michigan Woodworker's member. It is an old Montgomery Ward Powr-Kraft which I'd guess is mid-50's since a matching stand, jointer, and motor are all in the 1955 Montgomery Ward Catalog. It was most likely made by Duro, which is also defunct. Came with a 1/2 HP motor which has a shaft on both ends. I have two other 1/2 HP single-shaft motors so I might use one of them and use this motor for a buffer/wire wheel.

Grant Davis
07-10-2007, 3:35 PM
Matt, nice looking piece of old iron. Have you cut anything with it yet or is this the current condition the way you picked it up>

Matt Meiser
07-10-2007, 4:01 PM
This is how I picked it up, with the exception that I cut down the stand--it used to be long enough to hold a small tablesaw too. I hope to get it up and running in the next day or so.

aaron welton
02-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Matt, have any idea what size pully was on motor? Thanks Aaron- I have same setup with table saw, took off of a load that was going for scrap a couple years ago, still in good condition! put same size pully on motor I had but is to slow.

J. Z. Guest
02-25-2008, 10:51 AM
Nice find Matt. You can probably find a 3/4 to 1 hp motor of that same size these days. The first thing I'd do though, would be to replace the cord & plug. Rubber & Plastics technologies have gotten SOO much better since 1955.

Gary Ratajczak
02-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I picked up a 1950's Delta 4" from a guy at work for $50.00. Here is what she looks like now.

I tore everything down, cleaned the table and wire wheeled everything else.

New knives from Infinity finished it off. I just need to build a DC port for the base - just running temporary.