PDA

View Full Version : Microwave question

Justin McCurdy
07-10-2007, 9:32 AM
I have an over the range Samsung microwave that is only about 4 years old. On Sunday, the microwave worked fine for the first half of the day, but then stopped heating things at its normal rate (after 2 minutes, water was only barely warm to the touch). Samsung seems to think it is the magnetron, which lucky for me has a 10 year warranty. Problem is, in order to get the part from Samsung, I need a diagnosis from one of their service reps. The cost of the diagnosis alone is $70.00. I have seen the magnetron itself online for $55.00 plus shipping. If I get the diagnosis and the problem is not the magnetron, I am out of warranty, so then I will be paying 70(diag)+60(part)+labor. If it is the magnetron, I will be paying 70(diag)+labor with a free magnetron. If I hedge my bets and bank on the magnetron being the problem, I might only be out $60.00. Then again, I might have to go through the whole diagnosis scenario all over again.

Does anyone have any experience with this and could give some insight? By the way, even if the problem is found out to be that it is the magnetron (under warranty), Samsung will not cover the cost of the diagnosis or installation.

Bonnie Campbell
07-10-2007, 9:46 AM
I'm no expert (but I slept at a Holiday Inn).... Sounds like you might as well just buy a new one. It's a shame we've turned into such a throwaway society. But if you can buy a new one cheaper than a repair......

Justin McCurdy
07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I think the microwave cost was about $250, that is a little high for what I can handle.

Stuart Johnson
07-10-2007, 11:26 AM
You might want to check into local repair services. We had ours stop maybe 14 years ago. We were covered by a home purchase policy but it did cost $50 for the service call. It turned out to be I think either a capacitor or resister. A couple years later it happened again. We took it to a local repair shop and it was the same piece. The guy said the original and replacement were both undersized. He put in a larger one for about $30 and we have not had a problem since. Of course if you take it to someone local you will probably void your warranty.

Al Willits
07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
I think for the $15 difference I would have them out, better than having a chance of a $55 new mag tube and still not working.
Or are they gonna charge you $55 for the dianostics and then more to install the tube?
In that case I might just order the mag tube, as it could end up costing a bunch more with that labor added.

Al

ps...be careful as you can get a pretty deadly shock playing with them microwaves.

Justin McCurdy
07-10-2007, 2:55 PM
Al,

It is $70 for the diagnosis + some amount to install the mag tube.

I am not afraid of tearing the thing apart myself, I just don't want to buy a part that doesn't fix my problem. $70 seems a bit overkill for me for a diagnosis.

I guess I could always buy the part and then Ebay it if it does not fix my problem.

David G Baker
07-10-2007, 5:14 PM
Check with a local appliance repairman to see what it will cost for your repair. Some shops will give a free estimate especially if you take the unit to their shop. If you can't get any satisfaction, buy a new microwave and do not buy another Samsung. If you used your microwave a lot, you probably got your money's worth out of it in the 4 years. Microwaves go on sale frequently so watch the adds and you may find that you can replace your unit for not much more than a repair cost would be.

Jim O'Dell
07-10-2007, 8:30 PM
Is the 70.00 diag for in house service? If so, what if you took the microwave out and took it to their shop...what would the diag be? Jim.

Rick Gibson
07-10-2007, 8:38 PM
I've repaired a few and from the symptoms it is likely the magnetron but no guarantee. If you do get one be careful there are capacitors in there that will hold a charge for a long time.

Justin McCurdy
07-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Jim,

The diagnosis is $70 for in-home and for in-store. The difference being that the in-store diagnosis counts toward the installation fee of the broken part.

David G Baker
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't know what you originally paid for the microwave or if the microwave is a built in over the range type. By the time you get it repaired you could have around half the cost of a new unit invested in a 4 year old one. Something to think about.
A well made moderately used microwave should give you close to 10 years of service.