PDA

View Full Version : Kids Contest?

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2007, 6:50 AM
When was the last time the Creek had a Kid Contest. Since they would all be winners maybe they could all get a Creeker Hat. Possibly there could be prizes for the top three and we could solicit some of our laser folks to do up some special placks for those places. Let's kick around some ideas and see what we can come up with. We could hold the contest in late august early September when all are back from vacation. Little price to pay by each of us for the kid or Kids we sponsor to have a great time and get some on-line recognition. Plus it would help the funding drive. Any thoughts? I got the idea when looking at the following post. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61323 :) Just a thought;)

Patrick Taylor
07-10-2007, 6:53 AM
Great idea! All should "win" in some way or another.... I like the idea of the entry fee as a fundraiser too.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2007, 7:07 AM
Great idea! All should "win" in some way or another.... I like the idea of the entry fee as a fundraiser too. I probably need to be clearer in what I said. Each Kid we entered we could buy a hat for so that when they are done they would all have a prize. If someone couldn't aford the hat we could help. They could just PM a moderator and the moderator could tell us how much we needed to help some one out. No one else would have to know who the request came from. Again, just a thought. :)

Patrick Taylor
07-10-2007, 7:14 AM
Each Kid we entered we could buy a hat for so that when they are done they would all have a prize. :)

That fits with what I was thinking... that each kid will have a prize, regardless of who provides it! ;) I wasn't expecting SMC to front a bunch of hats.

Paul Heely
07-10-2007, 7:20 AM
I think its a great idea.

Gary Herrmann
07-10-2007, 7:50 AM
Good idea, but the only kid in my house that will enter would be me. SWMBO is still saying no to turning for the mancub - even with my hands on his hands.

Jason Christenson
07-10-2007, 8:45 AM
This sounds interesting but I have no idea how to make a kid on my lathe. What kind of chuck do you use?

Kenneth Hertzog
07-10-2007, 9:12 AM
Chris
I would be happy to do the engraving on a wood plaque. All we need to do is decide what you would like on it. Anything to support the up coming generation. Will donate the plaque as well as the engraving.
ken

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2007, 9:24 AM
Can turners in their 2nd childhood enter?

TYLER WOOD
07-10-2007, 9:39 AM
What would be te age restriction? I have a 13-14 year old that a friend and I are mentoring. I love the idea. I would love to see what Zack could do when given the challenge of a competition! Let's get the ball rolling.

If this is to be a turning contest, i say have the top two or three get a turned trophy. Some of our more experienced turners could make a simpe turning on a larger foot, ship them to the engraver and whalla!!! Shoot if I had the time I would make the trophies myself, but I'm giong to have to be turning an entry.......I meant having Zach turn the entry, yeah that's what I meant!!!!

Don Orr
07-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I could definitely support and idea like this Chris. I don't have kids:( but could help financially. Let's see where this goes!

Mike Vickery
07-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Can I enter if I am just really imature?

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2007, 12:40 PM
OK....count me in on this. :D
I'm all about helping kids know more about woodworking. ;)

Roger Fitzsimonds
07-10-2007, 1:20 PM
Count me in also. My 11 year old daughter would love it. What will they be turning pens? or what.

Roger

Rick Apt
07-10-2007, 1:37 PM
I would gladly sponsor a prize / participation award. Just let me know what, if anything, you need.

I know the "kids" stuff will be better than mine but we should encourage them anyway!

Bonnie Campbell
07-10-2007, 2:21 PM
I'll help, just say when.....

Christopher K. Hartley
07-11-2007, 8:43 AM
As I am leaving on a 3 week trip would anyone like to pick up the ball on this and run with it? I'd hate to see it get lost.:)

Pete Jordan
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
For those looking for a project, this page on the AAW site has great ideas.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/youth/

Pete Jordan
07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Also, I use this safe driver from Oneway to prevent catches.

ONEWAY #2 MT SAFE DRIVE CENTER 3/8" HOLE

Mike A. Smith
07-11-2007, 8:59 PM
Ditto for me. No kids around but I think it's a worthwhile project and would be happy to provide support for it.

Kenneth Hertzog
07-12-2007, 2:20 PM
Hi

just a bump to the top with a question
How many KIDS are we talking?
and no old kids that think they are young at heart:D
Acording to the AAW rules for youth turning the age is
between 6 and 18 yrs of age.
what do others think about this being rule one.
rule two what does the membership think should be made
the same item should be for all with wood and shape being the individuals choice

ken

Bonnie Campbell
07-12-2007, 2:45 PM
How about turning something like a weed pot? There isn't anything beyond drilling a hole and shaping, so they don't need to HF it.

Pens sound like they're the usual kid contest thing.