PDA

View Full Version : Major gloat & friendships

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 12:43 AM
I had some superb suggestions regarding my inquiry of router profiles and use of a router to do LOTS of molding. Among the fabulous suggestions, two members mentioned the use of a Williams & Hussy molder. I've got a house project fund, but the purchase of a WH molder doesn't quite fit into the equation. I emailed a WW friend of mine, who recently moved down to Florida and asked for his input. He immediately suggested a WH, as well. But, he took it a step further by reminding me of another common friend of our having such an animal in his possession and suggested I give him a call. So, I called Don and explained my situation. His tool situation is such that, quite a few years ago, he had a pretty well equipped shop for use in building his home. For reasons I'm not completely sure of (though I think a divorce may have had something to do with it...), he totally abandoned the shop and its contents. The building is in total disrepair and pretty much open to the elements. The tools located inside, have been oiled down several times, but Mother Nature still took a toll on them. :(

At any rate, I asked him if there was any possibility that I could borrow his WH. He said sure, but it needs a LOT of TLC, as well as a new switch. Score! Then, out of the blue he suggests that once I pick it up, I should just "store" it in my shop, until/if he needs it again. Moments later he says, and I quote, "...But I probably won't be needing it anymore, so just plan on keeping it." We're friends, but I didn't think we were THAT close of friends! His theory is that it would just completely go wasted if I didn't take it. Uh, this is all OK by me! :D So, that would be the end result of two friendships! And who said that a dog is a man's best friend?! :rolleyes:

Now for a question regarding the WH: Do any of you know where a guy can get custom profile knives made for the WH? Don said he had several sets and that I should take those, as well, but after describing what LOML was looking for, he didn't think they would come close enough. He did mention some place in NY, who could whip some up for me, but couldn't remember the name of the outfit. If anybody out there has suggestions or knows of this place, I'd greatly appreciate the info! :cool:

Mike Cutler
01-17-2004, 9:13 AM
William and Hussey have a catalog of moulder knives that they keep in stock and sell. In talks with their reps at the WoodWorks show last year they told me they could make a set of knives to match any moulding,if you could provide them with either a piece of the original moulding or the original manufacturers trade name. They also indicated that they could make a set of knives based on a customer supplied profile drawing. I don't know how detailed the profile drawing would have to be though .I will say, that it was a very impressive machine, and the reps at the WoodWorks show were very helpful. They also said that they maintain replacement parts for their products, should you have trouble locating any necessary parts. It's sad about the state of your friends' shop. You may want to consider asking him if he needs to store anything else long term, if you have the space, as a way to thank him.

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 9:29 AM
Thanks for the lead, Mike. For whatever reason, I was thinking someone 3rd party for custom knives. Shoulda' figured that an outfit that's been around for that long probably would do something like that themselves. Will need to contact them.

Yeah, it is sad about the shop and the tools within. I did try to persuade him out of his saw before I finally broke down and got my Bridgewood. He's got, what used to be, a nice Delta Unisaw out there! From what I understand, he's got a brand new Biesemeyer fence for it, still sitting in the box! Don't know what happened, but it must've been pretty traumatic, as the guy is extremely intelligent and a big-time job supervisor for a major contractor in the area. We're not talking little houses here, either. Major office buildings and the like, as a matter of fact. Strange, but having been gifted with a tool like that, I still almost DO feel as though I'm doing the guy a favor! Needless to say, I'm extremely grateful to him more than anything, but still kinda' weird, all at the same time.

Thanks again...I'll be checking with the folks at WH. :p

Todd Burch
01-17-2004, 9:48 AM
OK John, old buddy old pal... Although we've only known each other a short time (electronically), I've certainly felt like a brother to you...

SO... when you are finished with your project, let me know and I'll personally drive up there and pick up a loaner (indefinite period of course) W&H Moulder. I wouldn't want it to clutter your shop as well, and it might need to be refurbished a little more too.

So, I'll be patient. Just let me know!!

Your "better than you thought" friend, Todd.

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 10:34 AM
OK John, old buddy old pal... Although we've only known each other a short time (electronically), I've certainly felt like a brother to you...

SO... when you are finished with your project, let me know and I'll personally drive up there and pick up a loaner (indefinite period of course) W&H Moulder. I wouldn't want it to clutter your shop as well, and it might need to be refurbished a little more too.

So, I'll be patient. Just let me know!!

Your "better than you thought" friend, Todd.

Todd? Todd who? <G> :cool:

Bart Leetch
01-17-2004, 1:53 PM
Hello John

Some people stub their toe & fall in it & come out smelling like a rose & a red rose at that.

You know my truck cab has plenty of room behind the seats 7' x 7' as a matter of fact I think I could fit that in just fine, when I stop by to see you in a year or 2.

I was thinking of putting a DeWalt Scroll-saw in the truck so I could do some kind of wood working when I'm out traveling with the RV. You know I also have a flat bed on the back thats 88" x 96" with a door out the back of the cab onto it. Maybe in good weather I could set up back there & just let the breeze blow the dust away from the scroll-saw, 12" band-saw & lathe its a Craftsman & set up on a stand that breaks down. No No the table saw is to big it won't fit in the truck & neither will the jointer hmm maybe the CMS will though & lots of hand tools.

Come to think of it I could make all kinds of small projects while on the road, maybe a 4" jointer & oh yes the portable planer. Man what a shop on the go.

Jim DeLaney
01-17-2004, 5:16 PM
Do any of you know where a guy can get custom profile knives made for the WH?

Ballews in Kansas City area used to do custom knives for shapes & molders. I'm pretty sure thay offered the service on their website. Do a Google search on Ballew...

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 9:33 PM
Ballews in Kansas City area used to do custom knives for shapes & molders. I'm pretty sure thay offered the service on their website. Do a Google search on Ballew...

Jim, might you have any other contact information for them? I did a "Google" and didn't come up with anything relevant. Lots of stuff on the "Ballew" geneology and such, but nothing which relates to what I'm in need of. Thanks! :cool:

Jim DeLaney
01-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Jim, might you have any other contact information for them? I did a "Google" and didn't come up with anything relevant. Lots of stuff on the "Ballew" geneology and such, but nothing which relates to what I'm in need of. Thanks! :cool:

My Google Search turned up Ballew Tools, 325 South Kimbrough
Springfield, MO. 65806. 1-800-288-7483.

http://ballewtools.com/

Usual disclaimer - no affiliation.

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 11:56 PM
My Google Search turned up Ballew Tools, 325 South Kimbrough
Springfield, MO. 65806. 1-800-288-7483.

http://ballewtools.com/

Usual disclaimer - no affiliation.

Thanks Jim! Got it. Will need to contact them and see what they have to offer. :cool:

Halsey MCCombs
01-18-2004, 10:11 AM
John W&h company are in Wilton Nh Phone# 603 654 6828 if that helps. Not connected to them in any way Halsey

John Miliunas
01-18-2004, 11:16 AM
John W&h company are in Wilton Nh Phone# 603 654 6828 if that helps. Not connected to them in any way Halsey

Thanks Halsey! I still have to get the unit home, so that I have the exact model #, etc... for it. I don't know if the knive holders have varied over the years, but this thing is far from new, so I want to make sure. Appreciate the info! :cool:

George Skinner
01-18-2004, 6:03 PM
You have found a great little moulder.
I bought mine many years ago just to run some elliptical trim for a job and it paid for itself on that one job.
I have mainly used it for running curved trim for windows and archways.

A good source for stock and custom knives is Charles G.G. Schmidt & Co. www.cggschmidt.com

They have made many knives for me over the years and have been of much better quality then the ones from W&H but I have not bought any from W&H for many years so they may be better now.

The knives have holes in them and are bolted to the square cutter head there are not any other types of knife holders.

Also if you plan to do any curved trim with the knives make sure you let them know when you order the knives so they make them in the correct direction as you want the trim to curve away from the planer head support. Normally you want the heavy cut to be close to the support but for curved window and door casings the heavy cut is on the inside radius and it has to be at the unsupported end to be able to run the curve. I just order all my knives as if I would be running curved trim and have had no problems.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

George

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 1:38 PM
Wow!

I see a "road trip" to Wisconsin in my future. What other gems does this "love shack" hold, hmmm?? :D

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 1:57 PM
Wow!

I see a "road trip" to Wisconsin in my future. What other gems does this "love shack" hold, hmmm?? :D

Ahhhh Chris....There are few other "gems in the rough" over here. But, only I, Agent Double-O 5.073, know the whereabouts of this secret location. If I told you, I'd have to shoot you! :D I have been sworn to secrecy and even Austin Powers himself couldn't pry that information out of me! Well, OK...Maybe for an exhorbinantly large, LARGE stash of Birdseye Maple.... :rolleyes: :cool: