PDA

View Full Version : 6" Jointer purchase

Brian Keith
07-10-2007, 2:33 AM
I have a small space to work in so Im looking at buying a 6" jointer. Locally,and in my price range,I have been looking at the Craftsman and the Delta. Both are about the same price. Can anyone give me advice on these or any other option? Thanks

Jamie Baalmann
07-10-2007, 3:43 AM
The delta is way better than the craftsman. Check out grizzly and jet they have competitive prices.

Eddie Darby
07-10-2007, 4:17 AM
I'd take a look at Rikon.

scott spencer
07-10-2007, 5:46 AM
There are several good choices available, so pick a deal you're comfortable with.

Delta has two 6" stationary models near the entry level price ranges. The JT360 and the 37-275 (aka 37-195). The JT360 seems capable of the task but has the disadvantage of a 3/4hp motor and an open leg stand. The 37-275 is enclosed and offers a 1hp motor, but it's worth noting that the fence uses a rack and pinion adjustment mechanism that works well but takes up additional space.

Emotional sentiment aside, the new Craftsman jointer is made by Orion and is actually a fairly nice machine regardless of the name tag, and has been well received by owners. It also sports the advantage of an enclosed base and 1hp motor.

Any from Jet, Ridgid, or Grizzly should also serve you well.

Randy Klein
07-10-2007, 6:12 AM
The long bed (56") deluxe Jet is a good option. The long bed being the best feature. Powermatic is even longer, but more expensive.

Doug Shepard
07-10-2007, 7:25 AM
I've got a Powermatic #54 (not the newer, longer #54A) and it's continued to perform like new (except for replacing knives) after about 15 years. The #54A is even nicer, but there are lots of choices out there for good 6" jointers. This is also something where looking at used machines can be a good idea. They're likely to have been used in home shops without hard use, and taken care of by the owners. Keep an eye on craigslist.

Scot wolf
07-10-2007, 7:46 AM
For sure look to a model that offers long beds. I got a grizz GO604. It is one fine jointer. It was slightly more than other long bed models from other manufactors but it is of a different design. It has parrallogram sp.? beds. And it has a 4 knife cutter head. On sale right now.

Lance Norris
07-10-2007, 8:59 AM
I am very happy with my Jet JJ6CS.

Brian Penning
07-10-2007, 9:06 AM
I'm a very satisfied owner of a Ridgid jointer. Would buy one again.

John Shuk
07-10-2007, 9:52 AM
I have the Rigid from home depot and I'm very happy with it as well. Lifetime warranty is nice to have as well.

Chris Holder
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I have the Jet closed frame 6" jointer and it works great. I prefer Jet to Delta most of the time, althought there seems to be little difference. I would note that I bought mine from Amazon about 6 months ago on sale for $399 with free shipping. The Delta and Jet's normally go for around $550, so if you can hold out, there's bound to be another sale coming at some point in the future.

Tyler Purcell
07-10-2007, 12:50 PM
I just bought a craftsman jointer, and when I was buying it I thought I would much rather have a jet or a delta. I was mistaken - the craftsman profession 6 1/8" is a great tool and I wouldn't trade it for any other jointer in the price range. I got it for about 450 and picked it up locally - couldn't have been easier.

greg king
07-10-2007, 1:51 PM
I have had the Jet JJ6CS for a few months and think it's great. Having had very little experience with a jointer, I didn't know what to expect, but it has performed very well for me.

It was pretty easy to setup and hasn't seemed to finicky since.

I also considered the Rikon, but was steered away from it due to it's lack of history over the Jet.

gk

Jim Podsedly
07-10-2007, 2:32 PM
Sorry for the highjack but i would like to know from the 6" jointer owners the length of board that can be straightened with their jointer.

I would think that the beds are different lengths, does that determine the length of board that can be straight edged?

Jim

Randy Klein
07-10-2007, 2:44 PM
I would think that the beds are different lengths, does that determine the length of board that can be straight edged?

Rule of thumb is twice the length of the bed. So a 56" bed (like the Jet deluxe) can joint a 112" board. But depending on the species of the wood, that could be very difficult to do, as it becomes a balancing act.

I have done a 80" board on my Jet and I think that was about the most I felt comfortable doing.

Steve Roxberg
07-10-2007, 9:26 PM
The delta is way better than the craftsman. Check out grizzly and jet they have competitive prices.

That is a pretty broad statement considering you don't know which model Craftsman he was talking about. The newer Craftsman is made by Orion and is pretty nice jointer. Better than some some of the Delta models that are available.