PDA

View Full Version : Broken Teeth on Byrd Head

Rob Will
07-10-2007, 1:28 AM
Anybody had a problem with teeth breaking apart on a Byrd planer head? We have not done very much planing but I have found 7 or 8 teeth broken. Almost looks like they were torqued too tight at the factory and the pressure broke the inserts (?).

Rob

Rick Lizek
07-10-2007, 7:33 AM
Sure you didn't hit something?? They use tourque wreches to set the knives. Heard about a similar question from someone else and they determined it was something in their wood that caused the breaking. Carbide is very brittle. If they were over torqued it would break at that moment not later.

Gary Herrmann
07-10-2007, 7:48 AM
I had to remove the teeth to install the head on my planer. They were very tight. I had to use a socket wrench to get them out. One was so tight the head stripped and I had to break the blade to get the screw out.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-10-2007, 8:58 AM
I recall posts about guys who insist that the Byrd tecks are over tightening fasteners on the inserts. Contact Byrd and see if they'll address it.

Additionally you should get the torque spec from the insert manufacturer and buy a good quality torque wrench. All those inserts are an investment worth protecting with more than "feel."

Rob Will
07-10-2007, 8:58 PM
I recall posts about guys who insist that the Byrd tecks are over tightening fasteners on the inserts. Contact Byrd and see if they'll address it.

Additionally you should get the torque spec from the insert manufacturer and buy a good quality torque wrench. All those inserts are an investment worth protecting with more than "feel."

I've got a wrench, anybody know the torque spec for Byrd inserts?

Rob

J.R. Rutter
07-10-2007, 9:11 PM
I have a torque wrench permanently set up for my heads. I believe the spec. is 52 in. lbs.

Russ Massery
07-10-2007, 9:48 PM
Rob, Here's a link to there website a page call "hints" Has good info........http://www.byrdtool.com/hints.html