PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I confess. (aka a "General" gloat)

Joel Sauder
07-09-2007, 11:35 PM
I should have known that Ken Fitzgerald would rat me out. So I confess, I have officially become a member of the Order of the Vortex.

Here is the summary of my descent:

February 2007: Vacationed in Newport OR, admired wooden bowls in shops, remembered always admiring turned object and dreamed about doing it myself.
March 2007: Realized I needed a "home" hobby" (I can't hunt and fish everyday) Brought up idea to LOML.
April 2007: Found the Creek, met Ken, turned my first bottle stopper, got hooked
May 2007: Convinced LOML that I needed a lathe, made my first pilgrimage to a Woodcraft, somehow made it out with out buying a thing! Scored a used Talon Chuck off EBay.
June 2007: Made second pilgrimage to Woodcraft. This time the credit card took some damage. Walked out with a General International Maxi-Lathe and various accessories. Amazon.com delivered a set of Benjamin’s Best Tools.
July 2007 Built lathe stand, got help from Ken to put the first edges on my tools (the Wolverine System is in the mail).

So here is a picture of General “Napoleon” (it is sort of small). Now if the temperature would get below 90 degrees I could stand to be in my shop.

P.S. I have pre-approval from LOML for a chainsaw. Anyone know where I can get a good deal on a Stihl 361?

Joe Mioux
07-09-2007, 11:37 PM
Joel congrats on the new lathe.

I always admired the heft of the GI over its peers. It looks like a great lathe.

Joe

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Joel - just in case I missed it - Welcome to the Creek! Looks like you are off to a great start! Have fun with it - ask lots of questions and make sure you post often with lots of pictures! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings!

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Congrats Joel! Looks like a great little machine. Give us a review after you've gotten some mileage on it.You friendly local RAT!

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Welcome Joel to SMC. The Maxi looks like a great machine. Yep and did you get a picture of your wallet as the green stuff seems to disappear rather quickly. :D Chainsaws, HF tools, more chucks, more tools, more wood, etc., etc., etc. :eek:;):rolleyes::cool: Have fun Joel and enjoy it.

Robert McGowen
07-10-2007, 1:40 AM
Gotta love the photo of the lathe with shavings already on it. Looking forward to future postings.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2007, 6:03 AM
Congrats there Joel and Welcome to the Society of the Empty Wallets and Cookie Jars.:D

TYLER WOOD
07-10-2007, 9:48 AM
HAAAA, another General in the club!!!! I have General Sherman here in Texas. He's a robust fellow being the 25-650. A little larger than Napoleon, but hey they can still be friends! Watch out Mustard and Mayo club, the General club in gathering steam!!!!

Congrats on the gloat. I hope you enjoy your turning, and welcome to the creek!

John Shuk
07-10-2007, 9:49 AM
Nice machine Joel. I guess Ken is spreading the virus!

Don Orr
07-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Looks like you got set up real well. Lots of good advice from a real nice guy. I hope you enjoy this for a long time to come. Might as well put the rods and guns away now as you won't be using them much anymore:eek: :D .

Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex!

Kaptan J.W. Meek
07-10-2007, 5:44 PM
Thats a great lathe, lots of lathe for the size and money.. Here's to many happy revolutions! Long curles and smooth shavings!!

Skip Spaulding
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Looks like a great lathe for turning game calls! Welcome and enjoy. This is a great site, I have had many questions answered without even asking. Skip