PDA

View Full Version : Multiple gloats!

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 12:01 AM
First of all, I just want to thank all the "answer guys" here at SMC for giving me some guidance in tool selections! I have to believe that my recent purchase decisions are the right ones, primarily based on *your* feedback, opinions and personal experiences. Anyhow, had the day "off", so I took a trip into Milwaukee and picked up some Target Coatings lacquer to use in my recently acquired Wagner 2600 HVLP system. Bought it "used" right here, through SMC from one of our fellow members. Thing looks like new and well taken care of. Got a couple mini-projects almost ready to squirt. (I'll report back on how that goes.) Then, some of you may have read or replied to my inquiries about Forstner bits and dovetail jigs. Well, when I returned from my little road trip, there were two packages waiting for me in my shop: The 13 piece, HSS set from LV. Can't wait to try them out. Then, there was the bigger package containing the Leigh D4! Having been gone most of the day, I needed to finish sanding some shelves and closet containers for my daughter's bathroom and stain them, that I barely had a chance to just open the Leigh box. (BTW, the Festool 150/5 is not only capable of hogging off a lot of material, but does a fine job getting material ready for stain, as well!) I figure that tomorrow, I'll sit down and watch the video, go through the manual and set it up. I already know that it's got a steeper learning curve than some other tools, so it may be a while before I do anything of any proportion on it, but practice I will! And, there's one more "gloat", but it comes with a lengthier story and separate questions, so I'll save it for another thread. Man, it just don't get any better than this! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-17-2004, 12:18 AM
Nothing like a little shopping trip to start off the weekend right, John! Congrats on the scores!

Hint for D4...make samples and keep the ones that are "perfect" to help you quickly set up for the next one that is similar. This is particularly important for half-blinds. Doing it that way will make for one (count 'em) test cut and then on to the real thing each and every time. Be sure to make note of any variences you need to make in the depth adjustments on the fingers, too. That's also repeatable for material that is the same species and thickness.

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 12:25 AM
Hint for D4...make samples and keep the ones that are "perfect" to help you quickly set up for the next one that is similar. This is particularly important for half-blinds. Doing it that way will make for one (count 'em) test cut and then on to the real thing each and every time. Be sure to make note of any variences you need to make in the depth adjustments on the fingers, too. That's also repeatable for material that is the same species and thickness.

Muchos gracias for the tips, Jim! I'm usually one to make "learning curves" a tad steeper than they need to be, so any and ALL tips on this fancy-dancy jig are welcome! :cool:

Dan Bussiere
01-17-2004, 6:42 PM
John,
Since I have a tool adiction, I mean woodworking hobby, nothing makes me happier than to see good tool scores. So as you thank the others for their help, I thank you for your sharing. I think I need therapy. Nah, just a couple more tools thats all!
Dan

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 9:46 PM
John,
Since I have a tool adiction, I mean woodworking hobby, nothing makes me happier than to see good tool scores. I think I need therapy. Nah, just a couple more tools thats all!
Dan

"Hi, my name is John and I'm a toolaholic. It all started when...." Nah Dan, you don't need therapy. You just need to go beyond the capacity of your current tools, so that you can rightfully justify the urge.....errrrr...I mean *need*...Yeah. Need. That's what I meant to say! :rolleyes: OK, I'll admit it. *Some* of the stuff I have weren't *absolute* needs, but by and large, useful and help me to advance to, at least, an exceptable level of craftsmanship. My old dovetail jig was driving me banana's and hurt the quality of the joints. Same goes for those crummy Forstner bits I had. I'll save them for possibly doing some "freehand" work in Pine, but that's about all they're good for. The HVLP? Well, just one of those things I just "had to have"! Tried it out today, too. As expected, works nice! Can't wait to get the finishing room cleaned out and get a good setup going! In the meantime, Dan, take a couple aspirin, get out your CC and go out to LV and order something! :D :cool:

Mark Singer
01-18-2004, 10:07 AM
John,
Great to see you so excited! I am like a kid when a package comes and I know it is some new tool I ordered. You are a great guy and I love reading your posts ...you are always thrilled about something new and take the time to share it. We are all like big kids learning from each other and having fun! From the length of your posts I can tell you are probably a great typist....I suck...you should see me hunting for the right letter on the keyboard...I'm jealous! Enjoy all the new stuff ...happy to hear so much is going well. A lot of things are great with me too and like you I don't take anything for granted....I feel blessed!

Chris Padilla
01-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Well, speaking of all that...I think I can edge in here on this thread with my own gloat:

Mr. Marino (not Dan :D :D), just set me up with a couple of Festool gems...my first! I picked up a 20% off 150/5 ROS and the mini-vac CT-11. I also got some sandpaper to go along with the ROS of course.

Not sure when they'll arrive but should be exciting! :D

John Miliunas
01-19-2004, 1:31 PM
Well, speaking of all that...I think I can edge in here on this thread with my own gloat:

Mr. Marino (not Dan :D :D), just set me up with a couple of Festool gems...my first! I picked up a 20% off 150/5 ROS and the mini-vac CT-11. I also got some sandpaper to go along with the ROS of course.

Not sure when they'll arrive but should be exciting! :D

Congrats, (though this *should* be considered a "stealth gloat"<G>) on your purchase! Can't say about the vac, but I hear it's great. You'll love the 150/5! Don't get me wrong...I'm glad I have its little brother, the 125 but, if I were to just buy *one* of them, I'd go for the 150/5. Great choice! Plus, you simply can't beat the Festool quality and Customer Service. IMHO, second to NONE! Enjoy. :cool: