PDA

View Full Version : Finial's

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2007, 10:52 PM
Went to the shop last night and tonight after watching Cindy Drozda's DVD on making finials. Was a good DVD and learned a lot. The first one is made of walnut and is the first one I tried. Kept it fairly simple. Watched the video some more and went out tonight and made the second one out of Red Heart. It is what I would consider a little more elegant. Both have one coat of Antique Oil so far. Need some more practice before I start into expensive wood like ebony but felt pretty good about what I did so far. Getting a new camera so hopefully pictures will be better.

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Looking good Bernie! Both are interesting forms. Second one sure has a lot of fine detail work in it! Making finials for a project or just learning different styles?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2007, 11:56 PM
Looking good Bernie....That's another video I'll have to purchase!

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks. Steve I am just trying different styles. I will put them aside and if one of them will work on something then I will use it. I made these out of pen blanks so have a hundred different types wood to try.

Ken her video is great. I have watched it now for 4 nights and catch something new every night. It is amazing when I get one of my cheap gouges sharpened the way she does and see how tiny of a cut you can make. Some cuts are just dust. But boy is it fun making them though.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-10-2007, 6:30 AM
Bernie you are getting to be quite the inspiration. Good work!:)

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks I appreciate it. These are actually quite fun to make but when you get out to the end you need calm nerves cause it gets pretty nerve racking doing the tip. Cindy's DVD is a great on how to do these things.

Neal Addy
07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Nice, Bernie! I like 'em both.

Pete Jordan
07-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I really enjoyed the video also. She is amazing and you look like you are on your way! It is hard for me to go back and forth from large to small.

Ed Scolforo
07-10-2007, 1:24 PM
Good work, Bernie! I see finials as one of the elite aspects of woodturning.
Ed

Paul Engle
07-10-2007, 4:10 PM
Nice work Bernie, I tried some segmented ones and well ..... you know something about " oooo I like that, what does it go on? is it for me? " LOL.:D