PDA

View Full Version : Not "JUST" a picture frame

Mark Stutz
01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
As a relative newcomer, I really haven't felt quailified to answer too many questions, but wanted to share a recent shop experience with you. My teenage sons have regularly found my love of sawdust a ready source of jokes. When my youngest, a high school senior, asked if I could help him make a picture frame for his girlfriend, I jumped at the chance. The teenage years are sometimes awkward when it comes to father son interaction, but our day in the shop was absolutely wonderful. He did all the actual work, with me lending "technical assistance" for tool setup, helpful hints, and safety. He has done some work at school doing set construction, this was his first time to use a jointer, band saw, or router table. Words can hardly express the joy I had in helping him--maybe the best day in the shop,ever! I hope all of you have had or will have a similar experience with your kids.

Mark

Tyler Howell
01-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Nice story Mark.
My daughters liked to join me in the shop "WORKING" when they younger.
We made mostly a mess and noise but they were wonderful years. Today one is almost and Engineer and the other almost a Doctor.
They have there own tools, safety skills, and the value of a good tool. Charish these moments and make some more if you can.

Tyler