PDA

View Full Version : Domino Gloat/review

James Phillips
07-09-2007, 9:49 PM
Got my domino today and used it to build some drawers. I thought I would write a brief review of my first experience.

Pros:
Smooth Operation
Tight joints (when made properly)
Easy to use

Cons:
The alignment pins are not line up correctly. Had to set them after I had cut alot of mortises for some drawers and they did not line up.
If you have to recut a mortise (see above) it has the potential to fit to loosely

The cons are not really cons, more just first time use frustrations.

Question for all domino users:
I cut one set of motises to fit tight to the tenon. The I cut the mating mortises to have some play for alignment. I cut them all using the alignment pins. THe center to center distances were different. Why is that?

THanks

Mitchell Andrus
07-09-2007, 10:18 PM
One of the pins is accentric and is meant to be fiddled with via a set screw.

James Phillips
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
One of the pins is accentric and is meant to be fiddled with via a set screw.

I fixed that according to the instruction manual, but I still have the problem with center to center distance. Even if I use just the fixed pin and cut to sets of mortises, one tight and the others wide, the center to center measurements are different. Maybe it is just operator error. I am going to play with it some more tomorrow.

John Stevens
07-10-2007, 12:49 PM
I fixed that according to the instruction manual, but I still have the problem with center to center distance. Even if I use just the fixed pin and cut to sets of mortises, one tight and the others wide, the center to center measurements are different. Maybe it is just operator error. I am going to play with it some more tomorrow.

If I understand your description of the problem, here's my explanation. If you locate each mortise by registering one of the pins in the previous mortise, then the difference in width between the narrow setting and the wider setting will add up with each successive mortise.

For example, let's say that the difference between the mortises made with the two settings is 2X. Half of that difference will be on one side of the centerline of the mortise, and the other half will be on the other side. So measuring from the centerline to the edge, the wider mortise will be X wider than the narrow mortise. Each time you cut a wider mortise by registering the pin on the previous one, the centerline will move X over from the centerline of the corresonding mortise on the mating piece.

If you've properly calibrated the pins (see Rick Christopherson's manual), then you can use the pins to get a pair of mating holes to line up perfectly if registered from a common edge. For all other holes, you've got to mark the locations just as you would with a biscuit joiner.

If you haven't already gone to the festool owner's group, google it--you will likely find a lot more useful info there from plenty of Domino owners. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

James Phillips
07-10-2007, 1:16 PM
You are correct. I figures it out after I posted. I cannot believe I did not think it through before posting. LOVE the Domino by the way.

John Stevens
07-10-2007, 9:46 PM
I figured it out after I posted.

LOL, glad I'm not the only one who does that :) Glad to hear it's no longer a problem.

Regards,

John

Jeffrey Schronce
07-10-2007, 11:07 PM
I received mine today along with CT Midi. Took a couple practice cuts then started joining rails and stiles for shaker panels. Pretty cool.

I dont think the dust collection is as good as I thought it would be, though I love the CT thus far. Worked great with Bosch router and Bosch ROS.

I did have one issue that maybe someone hear can help with . . . I was using D10 bit and when I had the minimum width it fit nice and tight. When I went to the wider slot the domino was very loose. I understand the side to side movement due to wider slot, but the height of the cut seems slightly higher as well. Am I doing something wrong?

Rick Christopherson
07-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Jeffery,
When you plunge too fast, especially with the larger bits, the mortises will end up larger than they are supposed to be. This happens because the bit is both rotating and oscillating, and the cutting tips will slightly deflect the bit as they grab the edges of the inside of the mortise. It's hard to explain, but it is similar to the same mechanics that causes a router to drift to the side when ploughing out a dado.

To prevent this, simply slow down your plunge rate. Most new owners of Domino plunge too fast but don't realize it.

Terry Fogarty
07-12-2007, 5:10 AM
Rick is right. Try a demo quick plunge and look in side. You will see a "ribbed" mortice. Slow down and "listen" to the plunge and all will be fine:)