PDA

View Full Version : finally a gloat worthy handtool

Zahid Naqvi
07-09-2007, 7:42 PM
Thanks to Joe Meazle's watchful eyes I am now the owner of a Clifton shoulder plane. It was being sold by Chris Schwarz at woodcentral. After a few email exchanges I found out that he spent his school years here in Arkansas, and in true Arkie tradition he didn't even charge me shipping and on top of that included a gift for our newly created Arkansas woodworkers forum, what a guy!:D

Here is the customary picture along with end grain shavings from a Cherry board.

Steve Hamlin
07-09-2007, 7:52 PM
Nice toy! er, tool! :p
Was giving mine a good workout this weekend - it's the only plane that still gets housed in its box when not in use.
How do you find blade adjustment?

Cheers
Steve

Ron Petley
07-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Looks in fine shape, not much clean up needed there.
Cheers Ron.

Mark Singer
07-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Zahid,
That is a perfect size and real high quality.... Use it well!

Zahid Naqvi
07-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, I haven't used it much except for a trial run. I don't suppose I'll have problem with blade adjustment, I much prefer wooden planes and a screw based adjustment will certainly be more easy to manage. Already I like the heft and balance of the plane.

Nice toy! er, tool! :p
Was giving mine a good workout this weekend - it's the only plane that still gets housed in its box when not in use.
How do you find blade adjustment?

Cheers
Steve

David Weaver
07-10-2007, 8:06 AM
That was the second plane I got - well, in the LN Record 073 copy flavor. I thought it was neat, and low and behold, once I got it, I started using it all over the place. I like the gunmetal style with the wood infill better for looks, but the mass makes the large all metal ones cut really nice.

Steve Wargo
07-10-2007, 8:50 AM
Zahid,
That's the one I have as well. I like it very much... just be careful with it. I nicked the mouth of mine on the bottom and can't ever recall bumping it into anything other than wood. No bigger than a pin head in size, but a nick none the less. It still works beautifully. Nice score.

Wilbur Pan
07-10-2007, 9:17 AM
Hi Zahid,

I saw that plane on the Woodcentral classifieds, but I spent too much time thinking about it. Nice score!

One of the things that Chris mentioned was that he was selling this plane because his "shoulder plane collection is simply out of control". If this was the one that he was getting rid of, the thought of the shoulder planes he still has makes my mind spin.

Wilbur