PDA

View Full Version : Hi all

Garry McKinney
07-09-2007, 5:29 PM
Hi all ,
I realize I have been visiting this site for a while and really not said hello to everyone. Anyway I have been for the last 6 months learning an epilog laser system and trying a lot of different things with it from glass to granite.

This is one of my latest projects , hope you like it.

Garry

Mike Null
07-09-2007, 5:49 PM
Garry

It looks like time well spent. Nice work!

Tom Cullen
07-09-2007, 5:51 PM
Garry,
all I can say is WOW! that looks fantastic, how long did it take to make? Maybe you could share with the group how you set it up. Pretty impressive for a guy on his first laser.

Tom

Shane Turner
07-09-2007, 6:18 PM
Great work!

Michael Kowalczyk
07-09-2007, 8:35 PM
Hey Garry,
Very nice indeed. It is always nice to see other scripture based work here.
Blessing to you,

Stephen Beckham
07-09-2007, 9:38 PM
Concur - really nice. What's the overall size on that? It looks like it's 12-14 inchs wide - that won't even fit in my laser - I'm envious on two accounts...

Leigh Costello
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
You know how sometimes you need to be quiet to hear, and sometimes you need to close your eyes to see? This piece that you have created makes me want to close my eyes and to be quiet. Very spiritual and very beautiful. I would think that everyone here will say "Good job, that was time well spent."

Bob Cole
07-10-2007, 1:38 AM
That is very impressive. Nice Work!

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2007, 7:38 AM
Welcome! As the others have said, very nice work. I really like that you used raised lettering as opposed to lasering that in as well. Let's see some pics of your other work.

Garry McKinney
07-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Thanks you all for the kind words. I am glad you like it.

Tom,
The design work was about a week. Going from drawing concept to program. The vectors are layered into seperate groups, the each group is formed with like groups. The the laser cuts or raster are each done in order . The last being the cutout.

From start to first finish is about 3 hours work time. The wood is planned and sanded to 120 grit finish , then burned , cleaned, resanded. If the wood bows from the cutting it is then soaked and pressed for 24 hours to flatten. Then sanded to a final 800 grit finish and the danish oil is hand rubbed in the excess is wiped off, and allowed to dry. Then a second finish sanding at 2000 grit , then air cleaned and the final topcoat of danish oil.

I hope that is what you meant.

Belinda,
I hope these work.

Thanks again and thank you all for your great help.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2007, 11:54 AM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing these pics. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Frank Corker
07-10-2007, 6:59 PM
Garry, very impressive, all the effort is there in the result for all to see. Well done!

Garry McKinney
07-11-2007, 9:30 AM
Stephen ,
the piece is 10x 12 finished.

Thanks all consideing the work you have all shown , I am just a beginner.

Garry

Mark Koenig
07-11-2007, 9:55 AM
Stephen ,
the piece is 10x 12 finished.

Thanks all consideing the work you have all shown , I am just a beginner.

Garry

Did you draw the graphics??? :eek:

Garry McKinney
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Mark,

Some of them are mine the cross pattern is a pattern of Lora Irish, which was modified and converted into a vector pattern, with her permission.

Garry

Mark Koenig
07-11-2007, 1:14 PM
Do you have any vector tutorial links? That is some the the nicest work I've seen so far...;)

Thanks Mark...

Garry McKinney
07-11-2007, 1:29 PM
Thank you Mark :D

Not really, I work with corel 13 , but nothing I do is traced. I hate the program in trace. So it is basically do the lines. I am always surprized at trace programs, it seems like the simplest basic concept is lost along the way.

I would really enjoy seeing a trace program that gave you options that were really important. Like a single line option, so you could produce single lines from a trace, without major editing. It would make the drawing time so much simplier. Maybe in my next lifetime =)

Garry

Mark Koenig
07-11-2007, 3:04 PM
I'm in absolute awe of your work... Thanks for the inspiration and new goals...

Patrick Licata
07-11-2007, 3:31 PM
Garry,
Thanks For Making Those Us Who Have Been Lasering For A Couple Of Years Feel Like We Have Been Beaten, Stomped, And Kicked Whatever Was Left Down The Gutter With Your Work.
Absolutely Great Work. It's Awesome!!!!
Just Wish I Had The Creative Mind! Good Luck

Mark Koenig
07-11-2007, 6:01 PM
Garry,
Thanks For Making Those Us Who Have Been Lasering For A Couple Of Years Feel Like We Have Been Beaten, Stomped, And Kicked Whatever Was Left Down The Gutter With Your Work.
Absolutely Great Work. It's Awesome!!!!
Just Wish I Had The Creative Mind! Good Luck

Know the feeling... But reminded of a quote...
"Don't Hate the Player... Hate the Game..."

Know you were saying the same thing as I, but made me set some new goals... :D

It's all good and this is what boards like this are for... Help, Challenges, and letting us know what our potential could be...