PDA

View Full Version : Quick PC HVLP gun Question

Dave Boxmeyer
07-09-2007, 5:26 PM
Hi there - quick question:
What nozzle size should I be using with Oxford 9000 series poly on my Porter-Cable PSH-1 HVLP gun?

The details:
I've ordered some Target Oxford Superclear 9000 Series Poly at the suggestion of Jeff Jewit over at Homesteadfinishing (antique white).

I'm going to be spraying this onto some recently constructed office furniture with my Porter Cable HVLP gun (which I've never used before.)

Jeff recommended I use a 1.5-1.9mm nozzle with the poly. However, as far as I can tell there is no such size nozzle for the PC gun. Can anyone recommend what size nozzle I should be using with the Oxford 9000 series poly?

Thanks!

Steve Clardy
07-09-2007, 6:37 PM
They come standard with a 1.4
You can buy up to a 2.2 nozzle for these guns.

Amazon, M&S service co., etc sells them.

You do need a bigger nozzle as Jeff suggests, or you will have to thin your material a lot to get it to flow out of the gun.

Rob Diz
07-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Actually, I think the PC PSH1 comes standard with a 1.5 tip. The next size up from that is a 1.7 tip.

I have been using the 1.5 tip that comes standard in the PC gun to shoot Target USL with great results.

When Amazon was having their big painting sale last year, I picked up a number of tips for around $25. I believe they are much more expensive now (around $40).

The PC gun is nice, but the directions are really crappy. Plan on practicing a bit with some cardboard or other scrap material. Also be sure to 1) take out the strainer in the cap - it will clog; 2) use a filter between the compressor and your gun.

Steve Clardy
07-10-2007, 1:34 PM
Actually, I think the PC PSH1 comes standard with a 1.5 tip. The next size up from that is a 1.7 tip.

I have been using the 1.5 tip that comes standard in the PC gun to shoot Target USL with great results.

When Amazon was having their big painting sale last year, I picked up a number of tips for around $25. I believe they are much more expensive now (around $40).

The PC gun is nice, but the directions are really crappy. Plan on practicing a bit with some cardboard or other scrap material. Also be sure to 1) take out the strainer in the cap - it will clog; 2) use a filter between the compressor and your gun.

Yes. You are correct on standard size. I just dug out my paperwork.:o

tip sizes available

1.3-1.4-1.5-1.7-1.9-2.0-2.2

Best parts prices I have found on the net.
Cup and cap are much cheaper than from PC.
Most tip sizes are available here also.

http://shoppingcart.msservicecompany.com/Default.aspx

Dave Boxmeyer
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Thanks for all the useful info. Not sure where I got the idea that it had a 1.2mm nozzle. Looks like the standard 1.5mm is just on the edge of Jeff's recommendation. I'll start with that and if needed move to the 1.7mm.

Thanks for the link, those are great prices and looks like they have every part one could need!