PDA

View Full Version : Wine cabinet in Quartersawn white oak

Mark Singer
01-16-2004, 9:15 PM
This is a wine cabinet I made to match the Seimatic cabinets in the kitchen. I used quartersawn white oak. Simple glass doors. The wine rack is a series of "ladders" that are on vertical dividers. They are held back of the cabinet to allow light to project down. Typical carcass construction with rabbets on the corners. Dividers slide on "dry " bisquets. Hung on the wall with a reverse bevel two piece ledger interlocking. A fun simple project.

Here are a couple of new pics...to show more detail

Jim Becker
01-16-2004, 9:53 PM
Yum!! And the cabinet is nice, too... :D

Seriously, that's a fine piece of work. Very attractive and it fits the space nicely. I think your architectural background really helps in this kind of project...

John Miliunas
01-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Sweet! Not much of a wine drinker myself, but LOML likes a glass every now and again. May look at incorporating a similar design when it comes time to re-do our terribly ugly kitchen. Your design looks like it may be "comfortable" in various environments. You never mentioned the finish you used. I'm always interested, especially for Oak; The open grain always poses a challenge for me. :cool:

Glenn Clabo
01-17-2004, 6:41 AM
So Mike...do you consider your rack half full...or half empty? ;)

I think I understand what you mean when you say the dividers "slide" on dry biscuits...but I'm wondering why you built it like that. Maybe I don't understand?

Mark Singer
01-17-2004, 8:40 AM
John,
The finish was tricky because I had to match the Siematic propitary finish they use. No painter around here can figure out what it is. It looks very natural and unfinished but it is protected and feels a little rubberized. Some top secret stuff probably. I experimented a lot on scraps and ended up mixing Watco Natural oil and Watco Satin wax (light). About 2/3 oil and 1/3 wax. It matches perfectly!

Glenn,
It was easier to make the cabinet as an open carcass and finish it the bisquet slots were cut on the top and bottom before it was assembled. Then I prefabed all of the dividers and installed the little ladder strips with my brad nailer using a spacer board and just moving the board each time I nail one on. (very fast!) Then I cut slots in the top and bottom edges with a slot cutter and the router table using a stop to leave an un slotted 1/2" at the front. Then I slid them on. I think I may have used a little glue on a couple of them to strengthen the carcass. The nice thing about this method ...there is no excess glue to clean up. I edgebanded the plywood with my Freud edgebander and Oak venner tape. That is a great little unit!
As for the wine...I try to fill it up...but we drink it...I don't collect it like some friends ...you need a cellar for that. I don't buy the real expensive stuff...I can't really tell to much difference. There is a great little wine store in Laguna and he always makes great reccomendations. One on my favorites is $5 ....only in California!
Mark

Ted Shrader
01-17-2004, 9:04 AM
Mark -

With a piece that nice your "sommelier" status will certainly rise. There are veru good wines to be had in the lower price ranges.

Very well executed!

Ted

Glenn Clabo
01-17-2004, 9:25 AM
LOML's favorite of the week...me I'm a real beer guy.

Mark Singer
01-17-2004, 12:07 PM
Glenn,
We have a Newport here...lets have a cold one sometime!
Mark

Joseph Ezerskis
01-17-2004, 9:16 PM
Mark,
Did the cabinet include the two drawers and table top underneath it?
Joe

PS - Just got my first bottle of 2-buck Chuck. Except out here it cost 4 bucks!

Mark Singer
01-18-2004, 1:17 AM
Mark,
Did the cabinet include the two drawers and table top underneath it?
Joe

PS - Just got my first bottle of 2-buck Chuck. Except out here it cost 4 bucks!

Joseph,
The cabinet below is part of the German Siematic kitchen. The countertop is Seafoam Green granite. Several of the cabinets we wanted were special and not available from Siematic, I made those to match, including the wine cabinet and the pantry unit and shelves to the right in the photo. They use a French Oak...our quartersawn matches it closely. I stopped dringing the two buck chuck...I'm hooked on the Five buck Cab. from lens downtown. I think I'll pick up another case tomorrow. Its amazing stuff! I'll buy a few less tools to make up the difference.