PDA

View Full Version : So how to remove

Gary Herrmann
07-09-2007, 4:10 PM
black rubber marks from a sanded - ready to finish bowl?

I did something stupid. Wanted to reshape the foot of a bowl a bit, hurried and bounced the bowl from my mini jumbo jaws.

What I'd like input on is how to remove the black marks on the rim that came from the rubber buttons. I know I can send them off with a higher grit, but was wondering if anyone has ever done this and found a solvent that would work with minimal resanding.

The foot is rounded over so my chuck jaws won't grip sufficiently - besides I don't want to dent the finished foot.

Advice appreciated as always.

Rob Bourgeois
07-09-2007, 4:37 PM
i rubbed mine off with a rag one time it happened to me. But that was on a finished bowl that developed a "bubble" on the bottom

Jack Savona
07-09-2007, 6:07 PM
I'd try alcohol...denatured, that is...or acetone (lacquer thinner) on a rag first; then 0000 steel wool, if needed.

Bonnie Campbell
07-09-2007, 6:50 PM
Wonder if one of them 'Mr Clean eraser pads' would work?

Gary Herrmann
07-09-2007, 7:20 PM
I used some DNA and a trick my wife told me about. I used a tennis ball to rub out the marks. Works on wood floors, so... Lightly sanded down the raised grain afterwards. Turned out ok.

Craig Carpenter
07-09-2007, 9:59 PM
I use a solvent all the time at work on fine woods, veneer, maple, just about everything. It cleans the wood good and does not stain it. At worse, it very lightly bleaches the surface barely. This is removed with a couple a touches of 220 grit or better. I'll try to remember to find out what it is for you tommorrow. I would not want to try it on anything that already had a finish on it. But, it's been great for cleaning raw wood.