PDA

View Full Version : Changing of the Guard

Bill Grumbine
07-09-2007, 3:06 PM
Greetings all

I am avoiding going out in the heat to cut the grass for as long as I can, so I decided this might be a good time to spend a little time posting. :D I have a big change coming in my shop, one that has been in the works for a little while, but I did not feel right in mentioning until things were solidified. But money has changed hands, and things are in motion.

My beloved Poolewood lathe, Big Blue to a lot of people, is going away in a few weeks. I have had this lathe for just eight years, picking it up in the middle of July, 1999. It has served me well, and I have never tired of it or had reason to think badly of it. But when opporturnity (sic) knocks...

A student of mine fell in love with it, and we came to a mutually acceptable agreement on it. He saw the opportunity to acquire a very well built machine, and I saw the opportunity to move along in the turning world to accomodate my growing teaching end of the business.

Has the tension built long enough? :p

I have been on the list for a little while now to receive a brandy new Robust American Beauty. I first saw this lathe in person when I was out in Louisville for the AAW symposium last year. I got to meet Brent English and talk with him a bit while looking the machine over. There were subsequent emails and phone conversations about the lathe, even though I had no intent of buying one. I told Brent I had no intentions of buying a new lathe, but if I ever did, Robust would be the one I would choose.

But then a buyer for my Poolewood came along, and the rest, as they say, is history. Well, it isn't quite history yet, but it will be soon. Adding the Robust to the shop will give me some features the Poolewood does not have, but the big one for teaching is the ability to change the height for different students. Now all three of my lathes will have that capability, which I think is important for the student experience to be maximized. Of course, there are a few things on it I am looking forward to using as well.

If it were up to me, I probably would have kept the Poolewood and just added the Robust, but I have neither the room or the money for that option. But I have pictures to keep me happy with my memories, and even some movies if I really get the urge for nostalgia.

More to come as things develop.

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
07-09-2007, 3:14 PM
Bill..........Having seen Chris Harley's American Beauty....I can attest it's indeed a beauty! Congrats!

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
07-09-2007, 3:17 PM
Wow Bill,

I am pleased for you...I remember how Big Blue Tossed good old Tommy Trager through the roof down at your place in Reading...has it been 8 years...WOW how time flies!!!

Can't wait to see the new one, but I remember well turning on Big Blue in October of 99 in Reading...a super memory!;)

TYLER WOOD
07-09-2007, 3:18 PM
AHHHHH! What a gloat! Drive by in some ways.:cool: I thought maybe changing of the guard meant maybe the wife had decided to get a new dog or something. Congrats on the great gloat. I am envious of you and the new American iron. Have a great time on the new machine and we expect to see pics of the machine, you turning on it, and the pieces produced.

David Rive
07-09-2007, 4:00 PM
Hi Bill,

Congrats on the new Robust - they are a sweet piece of machinery. I have a little gloat of my own ... One week from now I take delivery of a Oneway 2436. Do you know anyone that wants a General International 25-650?

Regards to the family. Cheers.

Dave Rive
Markham, ON, Canada

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2007, 4:02 PM
Bill that is quite a gloat in my books. I would dearly love to have one but cannot justify it with SWMBO. The next DVD should be shot with that lathe. Congrats Bill.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-09-2007, 4:13 PM
Bill, I know personally a lot of the feelings you now have and will be having over the coming weeks.:eek: Hey, while somewhat painful it is all good. Time to get ready for her...lots of things to do. Congrats in the biggest way!! You'll definitely love her!!:D :)

Cecil Arnold
07-09-2007, 5:41 PM
Bill, congrats on your new lathe. Hartley hasn't quit smiling since he got his.

Bill Grumbine
07-09-2007, 6:46 PM
Thanks guys!

Jim, we'll have to think up a story for the Robust worthy of Tom going into orbit!

David, was that in the works while you were here, or did the Poolewood get you lusting for more power? It was the guy who came the week before you who is buying the Poolewood. At any rate, congratulations to you too!

Bernie, there is a very good chance there will be another DVD with the way sales are going, but I fairly dread the thought of packing this thing up and moving it!

Thanks to all for responding, and I will be sure to post pics when it arrives!

Bill

David Rive
07-09-2007, 8:58 PM
Bill - well, it was on my mind, having previously used a Oneway, but those 2 days on your Big Blue pushed me over the edge - LOL.

David

Jim Becker
07-10-2007, 4:13 AM
Ah....Beauty and the...Bill!!!!! :D :D :D

Congrats on a very nice lacqusition, Bill!

Mark Pruitt
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Congrats on the new Robust, Bill! I'm glad I can say I got to turn on that Poolewood before it left your hands....now I'm anxious to visit again after the Robust arrives. I'll get to see Big Blue in action one more time this Friday...:)

Dennis Peacock
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Congrats Bill.!!!!! Sheesh....getting rid of Big Blue. I never thought I'd see the day when you would sell Big Blue. But you know? Beauty is an awesome machine from what I've seen that you and your students would be sure to enjoy. Congrats bud!!!! :D

Hey.....when's the "Bowl Sanding DVD" coming out?!!? :p :rolleyes:

Bob Hallowell
07-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Congrads Bill,
I didn't get to turn on big blue cause you said I was verticaly challanged:eek: But she sure looked nice setting there but The robust sure look sweet!

I too am in the process today of picking up a new lathe it's no robust but it should serve me well when I get her running in a few weeks.

Bob

Don Orr
07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Well Bill, things do change don't they. I'm sure Big Blue is going to a good home and the Robust will serve you well. Starting a new era is usually a good thing. Two outstanding videos, daughter married, old lathe out-new lathe in, what can be next ? Sure wish I could make 5-Barns. Maybe next year.

All the best,

Ed Scolforo
07-10-2007, 1:22 PM
[quote=Bob Hallowell;618539]Congrads Bill,
I didn't get to turn on big blue cause you said I was verticaly challanged:eek:

Bob, I must be special, Bill had a platform for me to stand on :p :D .

Rik Rickerson
12-08-2007, 1:57 PM
Greetings Bill,

I'm very interested reading your thoughts on your new Robust. I imagine that by this time you have thoroughly tested it's ability and functionality.

I currently own a PM3520 which I love but am having a very hard time removing and replacing the tail stock due to severely injuring my right arm (torn muscle and/or tendon - unable to lift much weight).

Having become accustomed to hollowing out bowls on the end, the "tilt away" feature is looking very appealing.

I wish I would have know about Robust a year or so ago as they are only a few miles away.

I realize you are busy and it may be some time before you're able to post a review here or on your website. I look forward to your thoughts.

Take care,
Rik

Tom Sherman
12-08-2007, 2:09 PM
Rik, you may get a quicker response from Bill if you email him direct or post on the AAW website.

Rik Rickerson
12-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Rik, you may get a quicker response from Bill if you email him direct or post on the AAW website.

Thanks Tom!

Take care,
Rik